Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Cal is scoring 100 on us. #Doomed

Comments

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,570
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    FireCohen said:

haie said:

FireCohen said:

So i'm hearing a lot of sardonic discussion of how "we always lose to Cal" and I'm a little flumoxxxed by that.

We have OWNED Cal since the 1960's and have routinely not only taken their lunch money but also the north bay's best players for so many years that is comical.

Now i know that everyone in here has a flair for the kabuki theatre style expression of the most dramitic death scenes in Dostoevsky's femme fetale, but do you gys really think that we will lose this game?

I dont... I mean yah they have the return of most of their skill players on offense including a QB which i like and admire, and so is this why everyone seems to think they have a material advantage especially since we don't even "know" who our QB is or the exact details of what our offense will look like?

But really, when you look at the depth and strength of the quality of the athletes on both teams do you really think that CAL will win? Go DOOGS, go Dawgs. the line is Washington is favored by 6.5 points and I'm not tempted to bet the game but I think it's the Dawgs by 10. What do you think?

Lol. Did u not watch wtf happed the last 2 years. We with our stars had the advantage and still got our shit handed to us. Cal got a superior culture until they don’t. Evan weaver was the fucking man
    Yeah dude. Got our shit handed to us.

It started as a joke and now it's just this embarrassing 12-like thing where talent doesn't matter and our players and coaches are really afraid of Cal's offense that necessitated running off their OC.

When the reality is that our team for stretches in 18 and the entirety of 19 was so dysfunctional and Cal STILL needed a ton of shit to go their way to beat us by a few points.
    Loss is a Loss. Cal talked shit both times before the game and backed it up by beating UW.
    They didn't talk shit before either game. They talked it after like OSU or WSU or fucking CAL would do.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    FireCohen said:

FireCohen said:

So i'm hearing a lot of sardonic discussion of how "we always lose to Cal" and I'm a little flumoxxxed by that.

We have OWNED Cal since the 1960's and have routinely not only taken their lunch money but also the north bay's best players for so many years that is comical.

Now i know that everyone in here has a flair for the kabuki theatre style expression of the most dramitic death scenes in Dostoevsky's femme fetale, but do you gys really think that we will lose this game?

I dont... I mean yah they have the return of most of their skill players on offense including a QB which i like and admire, and so is this why everyone seems to think they have a material advantage especially since we don't even "know" who our QB is or the exact details of what our offense will look like?

But really, when you look at the depth and strength of the quality of the athletes on both teams do you really think that CAL will win? Go DOOGS, go Dawgs. the line is Washington is favored by 6.5 points and I'm not tempted to bet the game but I think it's the Dawgs by 10. What do you think?

Lol. Did u not watch wtf happed the last 2 years. We with our stars had the advantage and still got our shit handed to us. Cal got a superior culture until they don’t. Evan weaver was the fucking man
    Yes with all due respect because you are a high-quality gy and I recognize and honor that, that that is exactly the point, i DID watch what happened the last two years and also the last freaking 60. The simple fact is that they do not have the athletes that we do or the talent at the skill positions or the depth on either or both lines that we do, and they never do. We should win 80% of the time [whenever our recruiting has been decent] and we have and we will as long as that trend continues. It's like Washington State, there are times when either side of the ball looks pretty damn good but really they do not have the depth and quality of personnel to compete yet with the dawgs. I don't feel like I'm being doogish, if you simply look at the quality and quantity of the personnel, it's not close.

I get your point though... we will see.
    we lost with a better roster, I hope we win but they way UW lost for the past two years has been very discouraging they just rolled over and could not put away a team that was limited talentwise
    Yeah it's called football. It's like "puck luck" in hockey but less religious.

Fix the offense. Not hard to do. Last two games aren't even close.

Really Pete is to blame for this by pulling Browning after he at least proved he could do something with the td pass to Ty Jones. We win an ugly game like UCLA that year if Pete doesn't shit himself.
  • Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,104
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    haie said:

FireCohen said:

haie said:

FireCohen said:

Yeah dude. Got our shit handed to us.

It started as a joke and now it's just this embarrassing 12-like thing where talent doesn't matter and our players and coaches are really afraid of Cal's offense that necessitated running off their OC.

When the reality is that our team for stretches in 18 and the entirety of 19 was so dysfunctional and Cal STILL needed a ton of shit to go their way to beat us by a few points.
    Loss is a Loss. Cal talked shit both times before the game and backed it up by beating UW.
    They didn't talk shit before either game. They talked it after like OSU or WSU or fucking CAL would do.
    Okay Orange Man.

https://www.si.com/college/cal/news/cal-football-video-evan-weaver-on-uw-we-ll-beat-em-that-s-what-we-do-Xqtfl2rVg0aF8ZV8TuqfBQ
  • Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,104
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited October 2020

Jimmy is one cocky SOB I will give him that. Usually these types of coaches get served humble pie. This is going to be an interesting coaching tenure.

@creepycoug

People forget that Don James liked to talk shit like Lane Kiffin. Probably didn't smoke weed
    People also forget Don James came by his trash talk naturally: people forget that Don James was a Cane.
    a 5'9" QB who set records

• Options
    BabushkaBabushka Member Posts: 211
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Jimmy is one cocky SOB I will give him that. Usually these types of coaches get served humble pie. This is going to be an interesting coaching tenure.

@creepycoug

People forget that Don James liked to talk shit like Lane Kiffin. Probably didn't smoke weed
    People also forget Don James came by his trash talk naturally: people forget that Don James was a Cane.
    BRB
  • Options
    BabushkaBabushka Member Posts: 211
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    dtd said:

@creepycoug

JO
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,323
    Swaye's Wigwam
    haie said:

FireCohen said:

FireCohen said:

Yes with all due respect because you are a high-quality gy and I recognize and honor that, that that is exactly the point, i DID watch what happened the last two years and also the last freaking 60. The simple fact is that they do not have the athletes that we do or the talent at the skill positions or the depth on either or both lines that we do, and they never do. We should win 80% of the time [whenever our recruiting has been decent] and we have and we will as long as that trend continues. It's like Washington State, there are times when either side of the ball looks pretty damn good but really they do not have the depth and quality of personnel to compete yet with the dawgs. I don't feel like I'm being doogish, if you simply look at the quality and quantity of the personnel, it's not close.

we lost with a better roster, I hope we win but they way UW lost for the past two years has been very discouraging they just rolled over and could not put away a team that was limited talentwise

Really Pete is to blame for this by pulling Browning after he at least proved he could do something with the td pass to Ty Jones. We win an ugly game like UCLA that year if Pete doesn't shit himself.
    @haie, just take the L on this one. I guess you couldn't point to all of Call talking shit before the game, but Weaver definitely did. He was still butthurt for the way his recruitment went down and took it out on the Dawgs in both games.

And fuck right off with "puck luck." In both 2018 and 2019, Cal had no business even being IN those games. That it was close enough for luck of the bounce to affect the outcome was enough of an indictment. You're right about the baseline talent, which is why I don't understand why you'd be the chief apologist for those losses. Aggregate talent was a landslide in UW's favor, and the gameplan was total shit both years.

Where I agree with you--and I'm having to read HEAVILY between the lines of what you're putting down to reach this point, although @DawgsCanDance was more straightforward--is that just because Petersen shit the bed in consecutive years against Cal (yes, pulling the QB was fucking stupid), it doesn't follow that Lake will do the same. The talent gap between the two teams all but necessitates placing blame at the feet of the coaching staff, and the buck stops with the head man. If you have better players, you should win. If you have way better players, you should win by a lot. If you don't, it's not the players. Lake may suck and he may not, but--as far as "we always lose to Cal" is concerned, a change at the top was the most effective thing Washington could have done to throw old paradigms out the window.

TL;DR: Cal didn't win because of fucking luck. They (Weaver) talked shit, got on the field, then pushed in Petersen's stool. They knew Petersen's system, and Petersen was too stubborn to gameplan for that. With Petersen out and Lake in, Lake being a Petersen disciple, and this being the first game Lake will have the helm, it's yet to be seen just how big of a departure Lake will be. Without knowing that, the safest bet going into this game is to trust the talent disparity. QB experience mitigates that somewhat, but the talent disparity is just so big that it's not dooging to expect a win here.
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Dawgs gonna cover -10 btw
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,643
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Wilcox had Pete's number. Simple. He came in knowing the offensive tendencies and weaknesses and exploited them. Cal's offense made some plays when needed too, last year in particular.

Cal was in UW's head worse than they were in DDY's head when he started the whole "we always lose to Cal" thing. Hopefully the staff change up flushed that shit out. I doubt it though. I'm reluctant to watch this time.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,994
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    chuck said:

Wilcox had Pete's number. Simple. He came in knowing the offensive tendencies and weaknesses and exploited them. Cal's offense made some plays when needed too, last year in particular.

Cal was in UW's head worse than they were in DDY's head when he started the whole "we always lose to Cal" thing. Hopefully the staff change up flushed that shit out. I doubt it though. I'm reluctant to watch this time.

There is no way our roster should lose to cal. The fact that we think that hey could lose is the problem all together. Prove us wrong jimmy.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,323
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Canadawg said:

haie said:

FireCohen said:

FireCohen said:

@haie, just take the L on this one. I guess you couldn't point to all of Call talking shit before the game, but Weaver definitely did. He was still butthurt for the way his recruitment went down and took it out on the Dawgs in both games.

And fuck right off with "puck luck." In both 2018 and 2019, Cal had no business even being IN those games. That it was close enough for luck of the bounce to affect the outcome was enough of an indictment. You're right about the baseline talent, which is why I don't understand why you'd be the chief apologist for those losses. Aggregate talent was a landslide in UW's favor, and the gameplan was total shit both years.

Where I agree with you--and I'm having to read HEAVILY between the lines of what you're putting down to reach this point, although @DawgsCanDance was more straightforward--is that just because Petersen shit the bed in consecutive years against Cal (yes, pulling the QB was fucking stupid), it doesn't follow that Lake will do the same. The talent gap between the two teams all but necessitates placing blame at the feet of the coaching staff, and the buck stops with the head man. If you have better players, you should win. If you have way better players, you should win by a lot. If you don't, it's not the players. Lake may suck and he may not, but--as far as "we always lose to Cal" is concerned, a change at the top was the most effective thing Washington could have done to throw old paradigms out the window.

TL;DR: Cal didn't win because of fucking luck. They (Weaver) talked shit, got on the field, then pushed in Petersen's stool. They knew Petersen's system, and Petersen was too stubborn to gameplan for that. With Petersen out and Lake in, Lake being a Petersen disciple, and this being the first game Lake will have the helm, it's yet to be seen just how big of a departure Lake will be. Without knowing that, the safest bet going into this game is to trust the talent disparity. QB experience mitigates that somewhat, but the talent disparity is just so big that it's not dooging to expect a win here.
    I dont think you know what TLDR means
    Yeah, but still.
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,554
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

By the way there is an old adage in sports that the next coach you hire is opposite from the last coach

From allegedly soft Rick to the tuff questions of Gilby type of thing

So from Sark to the serious as fuck Petermen and now Jimmy is letting the kids have fun according to reports

And back to tuff as nails if Jimmy fails

people forget that Peterman was funny - well at least once
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNmeIiRyap4&feature=emb_logo
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    3 pages on Cal is two and 3/4 too many.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,799
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

3 pages on Cal is two and 3/4 too many.

This guy gets it
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

haie said:

FireCohen said:

FireCohen said:

Yeah no shit we should have murdered them just like in 17.

But they don't "own" us or whatever stupid running doogTwelve narrative claims. For the reasons that been repeated about 5 times now.

Why are our coaches such pussies in the bay? That is the real ownership. Last win there was 2016 and never won in Palo Alto this decade.

• Options
    TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,598
    Founders Club
    i know the answer
  • Options
    Founders Club
    it’s that i moved to the bay area in 2010
  • Options
    Founders Club
    when i moved to Malibu in 2012 i started the debacle in LA and the same thing happened when i moved to the bay area