Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Joe Rogan Experience #1555 - Alex Jones & Tim Dillon

Comments

• CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,916 Founders Club
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter
    The most I've listened to Alex Jones. He is batshit, but this is entertaining
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,544 Standard Supporter
    edited October 2020

So I totally missed the whole Joe Rogan experience. There is a Comedy Store doc on Showtime that I have been watching. Turns out Joe was a big deal there in the 90's which I guess was also his reality TV era. I remember he ate bugs or something

At any rate the Comedy Store banned him for 7 years. Turns out his podcast changed the game forever. Comedians stopped wanting to be on TV shows and started to want to be on his podcast. He became Johnny Carson. Then everyone wanted a pod cast and the good ones make a shit ton of money. Who knew?

iDawg and I beat Joe to the podcast game by about a year. What could have been

The Bob Saget episode talks alot about his experience with the Comedy Store and relationship with Mitzi, the owner/founder (Pauley Shore's mom). She brought in someone to manager to place and JR got into it with them. Great episode - Saget is a piece of work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY3CY36WAec

Rogan is resurrecting the Comedy Store in Austin as I understand it. He talked about it with Colin Quinn last week.

Brooke Burns on Fear Factor was damned near the perfect woman.

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,480 Founders Club
    Rogan got into it with Carlos Mencia. Called him a joke thief. According to the doc, after the glory years of comedy in the 80's the Store took a turn for the worse as certain big timers would hog the stage for hours. Customers stopped showing up. Joe brought them back

Rogan got into it with Carlos Mencia. Called him a joke thief. According to the doc, after the glory years of comedy in the 80's the Store took a turn for the worse as certain big timers would hog the stage for hours. Customers stopped showing up. Joe brought them back

Yup - that was about it. Mencia was a joke stealer - Saget confirmed. Rogan got pretty worked up on the podcast episode.

Saget just cracks me up regardless. So different than his Full House character.

• Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,852
    I'm a fan of the choker necklacea
    edited October 2020

I'm a fan of the choker necklacea

She's clearly got a naughty side.

And The Throbber stands corrected. The muy caliente Ms. Burns was on Dog Eat Dog, not Fear Factor.

They all look the same to me.

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

The Mencia stuff is pretty cringe on both sides. Mencia was bigger than Joe back then. He had his own show on Comedy Central.

Joe thinks of himself as mainly a comedian, but his podcasting made his comedy huge. I don’t think he likes to think of it that way tho. He’s a hard worker that became decent at comedy. He’s not a naturally funny guy imo, not that it really matters.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,388 Founders Club

The Mencia stuff is pretty cringe on both sides. Mencia was bigger than Joe back then. He had his own show on Comedy Central.

Joe thinks of himself as mainly a comedian, but his podcasting made his comedy huge. I don’t think he likes to think of it that way tho. He’s a hard worker that became decent at comedy. He’s not a naturally funny guy imo, not that it really matters.
    You are correct. He's a fantastic conversationalist, but I rarely laugh at anything he says.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member Posts: 8,664 Standard Supporter

The most I've listened to Alex Jones. He is batshit, but this is entertaining

Has anyone ever seen OBK and Alex Jones together at the same time?

The more I listen to this the more I believe @obk and Alex Jones (maybe the press has made him appear batshit crazy @GrundleStiltzkin)(nah - the press wouldn't do that) (would too) I argue with myself on occasion
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter
    Please to be changings my handle to @GrundleStiltzkin)(nah
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

You are correct. He's a fantastic conversationalist, but I rarely laugh at anything he says.
    The fact checking bullshit is starting to bother me. Halts the conversations. Everyone knows Alex Jones is whacky, but he doesn’t need to fact check everything.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,520 Founders Club

I never cared for him on Newsradio or that dumb game show/reality show thing, and I can't stand MMA, but he's really good at the podcasting thing. He's not a formally educated guy, but he's a good interviewer and has a way about him. Plus they smoke weed and cigars and he'll interview just about anyone. I've never watched his stand up.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,388 Founders Club

The fact checking bullshit is starting to bother me. Halts the conversations. Everyone knows Alex Jones is whacky, but he doesn’t need to fact check everything.
    Same for instant replay