Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Drink Recommendations: HARD (Lulz) Cider

2»

Comments

• Options
    NoWarningJustDawgNoWarningJustDawg Member Posts: 1,000
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Laocoön said:

Mrs. Coon likes her hard ciders with a spicy accent & a peppery kick. Finnriver's Habanero Cider is her jam!! She claims it goes very well with Taco Time!

She says another worthy spicy option is Locust's Pineapple Smoked Pepper.

I once gave that Finnriver cider a gold medal at the world's largest cider competition. Not really my thing, but very well made.

Pre covid I was able to visit Finnriver, Eaglemount and Alpenfire on the same day on a trip to the peninsula. I could do without most of what Eaglemount made but I am a fan of the other two.
    https://opciderroute.com/
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,268
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Probably not available out west but I like Bold Rock IPA (India Pressed Apple- such a fun play on acronyms!) and Jack’s Hard Cider Original.
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited October 2020

Laocoön said:

Mrs. Coon likes her hard ciders with a spicy accent & a peppery kick. Finnriver's Habanero Cider is her jam!! She claims it goes very well with Taco Time!

I once gave that Finnriver cider a gold medal at the world's largest cider competition. Not really my thing, but very well made.

Pre covid I was able to visit Finnriver, Eaglemount and Alpenfire on the same day on a trip to the peninsula. I could do without most of what Eaglemount made but I am a fan of the other two.
    thanks, brah. You just solved my entire Christmas list!
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Ain't no laws when you're drinking White Claws. The Throbber is a Black Cherry guy. And it doesn't make his ass fat.

Don't know anything about cider except the Angry Orchard shit gave me a helluva headache one time.

If I didn’t feel slightly guilty for periodically hooking up with your wife, I’d put your nuts in an apple press for sullying this thread with a picture of that swill!
    @Pitchfork51 HELP!
    FRAT BOY CAN’T SAVE YOU!
    Did @dflea share his sativa with you?
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,578
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    dflea said:

I don't take it up the ass, so no.

I did drink a White Claw with my mom once while eatingMexi food. It was hilarious.

For me, taking it up the ass is a selling point.
    The more you poast, the more ass you kick.

It'd be cooler if she was drinking the claw.

• Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,578
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

Ain't no laws when you're drinking White Claws. The Throbber is a Black Cherry guy. And it doesn't make his ass fat.

Don't know anything about cider except the Angry Orchard shit gave me a helluva headache one time.

A man of taste.
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

If I didn’t feel slightly guilty for periodically hooking up with your wife, I’d put your nuts in an apple press for sullying this thread with a picture of that swill!
    @Pitchfork51 HELP!
    FRAT BOY CAN’T SAVE YOU!
    No. 😠
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    edited October 2020
    doogie said:

Laocoön said:

thanks, brah. You just solved my entire Christmas list!
    @NoWarningJustDawg is like beer/cider Santa, bringing booze to all the children.
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,533
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

I'm glad you found some winners in your box o' NWJD booze.
    Fair warning: Good cider is often quite expensive. Cider *is* wine, and we're not using Welches to make good wine so we're not using TreeTop to make good cider.

https://www.snowdriftcider.com/ is in my opinion the best in WA.

Of Tim's stuff, Cliffbreaks is closest to the "plain" cider I sent you. His Red is very similar to mine, and along with the (excessively) oaked Cornice those 3 are the ones usually easiest to find in PNW.

I'm a big fan of Sea Cider up in Victoria, but I don't know what Canada's travel restrictions have done to availability lately.

Liberty does a nice job out in Spokane from what I've tasted.
    https://www.libertycider.com/

I know HCH is full of 0.1%-ers so perhaps you've already made the trip out to San Juan Island on your yacht to visit Westcott Bay Cider. That's a lot of their clientele. Otherwise, you can order online and I think at least one liquor store in Anacortes near the ferry carries them.

Further south on Vashon, Dragon's Head Cider varies from ok to great IME. One of the few commercial Perries I like.

the fruited ciders at Elemental in Arlington were meh to me, but I liked the plain - "Carbon" I think it was called.

Whitewood down near Oly is almost always available at my family's tavern, and usually good. A couple tims the sulfite (burnt matchstick) was excessive. They added a tasting room a couple years ago.

Yeah, 2 Towns in Corvallis had some good stuff. I preferred the bottles of apple-only stuff, especially the more limited batches like Afton Field or the anniversary batches, to anything spiced or fruited in a can.

Send a massage if'n you want an opinion on something specific.
    Cheers--

I was thinking of this gem from the '19 fundraising thread when I typed that...

...but who am I kidding. I'll take whatever I can get from the bored's fave gay man, Soup.
    I figured. 😁

And what’s wrong with that girl’s areolas?
    there blurred?

How about trying a Pear Cider? I am not an apple cider fan
  • Options
    NoWarningJustDawgNoWarningJustDawg Member Posts: 1,000
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    LebamDawg said:

I'm glad you found some winners in your box o' NWJD booze.
    Fair warning: Good cider is often quite expensive. Cider *is* wine, and we're not using Welches to make good wine so we're not using TreeTop to make good cider.

https://www.snowdriftcider.com/ is in my opinion the best in WA.

Of Tim's stuff, Cliffbreaks is closest to the "plain" cider I sent you. His Red is very similar to mine, and along with the (excessively) oaked Cornice those 3 are the ones usually easiest to find in PNW.

I'm a big fan of Sea Cider up in Victoria, but I don't know what Canada's travel restrictions have done to availability lately.

Liberty does a nice job out in Spokane from what I've tasted.
    https://www.libertycider.com/

I know HCH is full of 0.1%-ers so perhaps you've already made the trip out to San Juan Island on your yacht to visit Westcott Bay Cider. That's a lot of their clientele. Otherwise, you can order online and I think at least one liquor store in Anacortes near the ferry carries them.

Further south on Vashon, Dragon's Head Cider varies from ok to great IME. One of the few commercial Perries I like.

the fruited ciders at Elemental in Arlington were meh to me, but I liked the plain - "Carbon" I think it was called.

Whitewood down near Oly is almost always available at my family's tavern, and usually good. A couple tims the sulfite (burnt matchstick) was excessive. They added a tasting room a couple years ago.

Yeah, 2 Towns in Corvallis had some good stuff. I preferred the bottles of apple-only stuff, especially the more limited batches like Afton Field or the anniversary batches, to anything spiced or fruited in a can.

Send a massage if'n you want an opinion on something specific.
    Cheers--

I was thinking of this gem from the '19 fundraising thread when I typed that...

...but who am I kidding. I'll take whatever I can get from the bored's fave gay man, Soup.
    I figured. 😁

And what’s wrong with that girl’s areolas?
    there blurred?

How about trying a Pear Cider? I am not an apple cider fan
    So there's no regulations here about it, but generally the term "pear cider" refers to apple juice fermented completely dry, and then sweetened with pear juice....which can be tasty, but often has that same raw, unfermented, cloyingly-sweet apple alco-pop character of the stuff Angry Orchard and Woodchuck mass produce.

If it is just made of pear juice, it is generally called Perry. There's a shortage of good perry, mostly due to the length of time it takes to grow pear trees.

In WA state, Snowdrift, Finnriver and Dragon's Head all make nice and fairly expensive perries on occasion. These all have some tannin giving astringency and structure. Tieton Ciderworks makes one a bit cheaper and simplistic but still enjoyable and Nashi Orchards (another Vashon Island company) supposedly makes a fairly cheap version in 4-packs that is a combination of regular pears and Asian pears. Haven't had it.

Speaking of no regulations, this creates another issue where cidermakers can put "dry" on the packaging when it is anything but.
    It's a problem...But TL;dr: if people tell me how much they enjoy or despise residual sugar in their beverages I can usually recommend something.
    Cheers--
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220

@Pitchfork51 HELP!
    FRAT BOY CAN’T SAVE YOU!
    No. 😠
    Bogart.
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    the fuck flea, she’s like, the only girl left at the party. You couldn’t pass it one time?
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    doogie said:

the fuck flea, she’s like, the only girl left at the party. You couldn’t pass it one time?

It makes people mean, I've heard. I think steering her toward the Indica might be better for everyone involved.

It's not like I don't have both.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    dflea said:

doogie said:

It makes people mean, I've heard. I think steering her toward the Indica might be better for everyone involved.

I’d probably accept a bunch of dried up oregano leaves wrapped up in a discarded grocery store receipt at this point.
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,558
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

dflea said:

doogie said:

I’d probably accept a bunch of dried up oregano leaves wrapped up in a discarded grocery store receipt at this point.
    @theknowledge can hook you up in both respects.
    The receipts at my store are BPA free and our dried oregano is organic. I got you!