Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

This was the game that fueled my love for Husky Football more than any other

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,922
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhHMD_jVkko

November 1981
60 MPH winds
Marcus Allen and #3 USC in town.
Huskies and Trojans tied 3-3 with just a couple minutes to go.

14:00 - Chuck Nelson 48 yard field goal to take 6-3 lead late in game
16:00 - The late Fred Small recovers kickoff in end zone for epic TD. Husky Stadium was going ape shit. This game had an effect like heroin on me.

Comments

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    A lot of big names in that game.

Pelluer was so good.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,922
    Founders Club
    dflea said:

November 1981
    60 MPH winds

16:00 - The late Fred Small recovers kickoff in end zone for epic TD. Husky Stadium was going ape shit. This game had an effect like heroin on me.

Fuck yeah!!

I was there

It was a loss that cemented me as a Husky fan and maybe that is poetic justice. I was left home when the family went to the 61 Rose Bowl. When the Huskies got the bid again in the 1963 season I couldn't wait. I was old enough to really follow it. We all sat down to watch it on NBC and I was thrilled to see our DAWGS get all that FREE PUB.

Bill Douglass, the pride of Wapato and @Swaye, broke his leg and the Husky offense sputtered to a halt. Dick Butkus and Jim Grabowski led the Illini to the win. I was hooked on Husky football and college football. 1964 on I've been watching. I remember the John Huarte Heisman win in 64 with Ara Parmesian led the Irish back to the top in 64

And from that point on until 1977 watching a lot of Trojan teams play in the Rose Bowl. A smattering of Bruins and the Stanford back to back. The Coast dominated

If you mention college football around our family, my old man is going to jump in with the Butkus and Grabowski stories. He went to UI Champaign, and likes to live in the past.

The maddest I've ever seen him was when Troy Aikman and the Bruins dismantled the Illini in the Rose Bowl. I left the room in fear because I thought he was going to blow a fuse and I didn't want to be anywhere near there.
    Troy Aikman never played in the Rose Bowl. You're thinking Rick Neuheisel
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

dflea said:

November 1981
    60 MPH winds

Fuck yeah!!

I was there

It was a loss that cemented me as a Husky fan and maybe that is poetic justice. I was left home when the family went to the 61 Rose Bowl. When the Huskies got the bid again in the 1963 season I couldn't wait. I was old enough to really follow it. We all sat down to watch it on NBC and I was thrilled to see our DAWGS get all that FREE PUB.

Bill Douglass, the pride of Wapato and @Swaye, broke his leg and the Husky offense sputtered to a halt. Dick Butkus and Jim Grabowski led the Illini to the win. I was hooked on Husky football and college football. 1964 on I've been watching. I remember the John Huarte Heisman win in 64 with Ara Parmesian led the Irish back to the top in 64

And from that point on until 1977 watching a lot of Trojan teams play in the Rose Bowl. A smattering of Bruins and the Stanford back to back. The Coast dominated

If you mention college football around our family, my old man is going to jump in with the Butkus and Grabowski stories. He went to UI Champaign, and likes to live in the past.

The maddest I've ever seen him was when Troy Aikman and the Bruins dismantled the Illini in the Rose Bowl. I left the room in fear because I thought he was going to blow a fuse and I didn't want to be anywhere near there.
    Troy Aikman never played in the Rose Bowl. You're thinking Rick Neuheisel
    The fear must have scared the memory right out of me.

Or the booze and drugs.

Thanks for setting me straight - it was Slick.
  • Options
    GrandpaSankeyGrandpaSankey Member Posts: 956
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

The 1959 team that went to the rose bowl was when I started following the DWAGS. That was a good team but no-one thought the dawgs had a chance against the big ten in the Rose Bowl. A big surprise that a one-eyed QB could lead the dawgs to the win.

I grew up in Montlake so in 1960 I started selling the Times out in front of the stadium, and as a result saw all of the games that season... they let the kids in at halftime for free that sold the papers but by the second game of the season I had figured out that if you stood by will call as the game was beginning it was usually only a matter of a few minutes before some old guy would give you an extra ticket to go into the game.

That team was exciting, and it was the UW Navy game that cemented my love for the Dawgs. They lost the game to Navy by one [ the only game they lost that year], but what a game. By the time the rose bowl game was played, dawg fans knew that the Dawgs had a great chance to win ~ the second consecutive Rose Bowl win and the first Dawg National championship game made me a fan for life.

I was there!

That guy wasn't half bad.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,173
    Swaye's Wigwam

The 1959 team that went to the rose bowl was when I started following the DWAGS. That was a good team but no-one thought the dawgs had a chance against the big ten in the Rose Bowl. A big surprise that a one-eyed QB could lead the dawgs to the win.

I grew up in Montlake so in 1960 I started selling the Times out in front of the stadium, and as a result saw all of the games that season... they let the kids in at halftime for free that sold the papers but by the second game of the season I had figured out that if you stood by will call as the game was beginning it was usually only a matter of a few minutes before some old guy would give you an extra ticket to go into the game.

That team was exciting, and it was the UW Navy game that cemented my love for the Dawgs. They lost the game to Navy by one [ the only game they lost that year], but what a game. By the time the rose bowl game was played, dawg fans knew that the Dawgs had a great chance to win ~ the second consecutive Rose Bowl win and the first Dawg National championship game made me a fan for life.

I was looking through google because unlike Pup I need it, to find the UW Oregon game at Husky Stadium where some kids fell out of a tree at the east endzone which of course Oregon fans blamed for the tie. The old Husky Stadium wasn't exactly a fortress.

Also saw that Oregon in the early 60's were playing teams like Penn State and West Virginia. And blew the 62 Rose Bowl with a loss to Oregon State. Anyway intersectional match ups as we liked to call them were a big part of college football. Not so much any more with the play off. Back then winning your league was all that mattered. UW was 6-4 in 63 with 3 non conference losses but went to the Rose Bowl
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,409
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    This game fueled my love affair with the Dawgs as well. Had to listen to game on radio as we had lost power in Lewis County earlier in the day.

Watching replay after Fred Small recovered the fumble in the end zone you hear the siren playing longer for that td, than the total it's played today combining all the scores the Huskies will get all game.