Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

HH Favorite Rock Album World Championship - #1 Are You Experienced vs #2 Back in Black

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam

HH Favorite Rock Album World Championship - #1 Are You Experienced vs #2 Back in Black 31 votes

#1 Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced ?
41%
RoadDawg55GladstonedncchuckTequillaBad_MotherDuckerseatownfunkhuskyhooliganIPukeOregonGrellowLebamDawgDoog_de_JourBleachedAnusDawgRDR 13 votes
#2 AC DC - Back in Black
58%
RaceBannonSwayewhlinderAtomicDawgYouKnowItalumni94dfleabiak1PurpleThrobberGrundleStiltzkinHuskyInAZLaocoönYellowSnow89uteEl_KLesGrossmanJoeEDangerouslyFishpo31 18 votes

Comments

• dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    #2 AC DC - Back in Black
    I'm going to go throw myself down in the parking lot for voting against Jimi.

But then I'm going to get up, listen to Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution, and know I did the proper thing.

Rock and roll ain't no riddle, man. To me it makes good, good sense!! Good sense!
  • Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,235
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    #2 AC DC - Back in Black

Are You Experienced is more important to rock history than Back in Black. Plain and simple. But what have I listened to mor when drunk in college? It's not even close. Back in Black was the first "heavy" album i bought after getting into Zep as a young snow.

This...

• BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,397
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Pretty sure Jimi will be played on the PA at Husky Stadium this fall for the players' families to enjoy. Doubtful on AC/DC.
    #2 AC DC - Back in Black
    chuck said:

I've ever listened to Jimi while banging a drunk chick in the blackberry brambles at a HS keggar, or while some hillbillie beats up a stranger at same party for looking at his girlfriend wrong or because of the rumor about him being gay. I've never listened to Jimi while watching Bill Bob run his jacked up chevy through the swamp. Never listened to Jimi while riding shotgun in my buddies jackes up "yoda" and shooting road signs and street lights out the window with a 22...

Ah...the memories. Good times.

This is still the easiest vote of this thing so far though. Not even close. Fuck me. You dorks are going to make me hate ACDC. They're fun. Kinda cute really...

I knew this was going to tip chuck over.
  • Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,955
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited October 2020
    Once again in these poles it seems to always be a question of if you’re voting for the “better” choice academically speaking or what is your personal preference.

This is the time where I can vote for both the more culturally relevant choice AND what just plain makes my heart sing.

Love AC/DC...but Jimi and this album are the GOAT!
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,587
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Jimi is the classic old master painter that is far more appreciated now long after his death than he was when alive. I think for skill he is the GOAT guitar player but the music matters too

I enjoy the "lost" tapes of the stuff that didn't get released more than the albums that did. Red House is a particular favorite

If she don't love me her sister will

Red House is a classic, and there are some alternate versions out there that are cool as hell too. His take on Killing Floor is one of my favorites. Radio One or the BBC recordings live in the studio also rules...Catfish Blues and Driving South being highlights for me.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dflea said:

chuck said:

I've ever listened to Jimi while banging a drunk chick in the blackberry brambles at a HS keggar, or while some hillbillie beats up a stranger at same party for looking at his girlfriend wrong or because of the rumor about him being gay. I've never listened to Jimi while watching Bill Bob run his jacked up chevy through the swamp. Never listened to Jimi while riding shotgun in my buddies jackes up "yoda" and shooting road signs and street lights out the window with a 22...

This is still the easiest vote of this thing so far though. Not even close. Fuck me. You dorks are going to make me hate ACDC. They're fun. Kinda cute really...

I expected to be triggered into a rant. All in good fun though. I hold onto my red neck roots as much as...well most but not all.

The swamping reference was a fun night. Four of us drunks in a full size blazer, stuck in a 3' deep, stinking swamp under the power lines. We had about 150' of cable and someone showed up who could pull us out. We blared ACDC while slogging through the mud trying to hook it up. Problem was that the power lines were actually transmitting through the cable and shocking the living shit out of us...loud pops and sparks and everything. We all gave up except for the driver who kept at it for at least an hour, blurrting out a loud FUCK! every few seconds as another surge of electricity went through the cable.

I actually like ACDC quite a bit, but the memories and associations I have with them are all funny, small town shenanigan shit like that.
    #2 AC DC - Back in Black
    chuck said:

dflea said:

chuck said:

I expected to be triggered into a rant. All in good fun though. I hold onto my red neck roots as much as...well most but not all.

The swamping reference was a fun night. Four of us drunks in a full size blazer, stuck in a 3' deep, stinking swamp under the power lines. We had about 150' of cable and someone showed up who could pull us out. We blared ACDC while slogging through the mud trying to hook it up. Problem was that the power lines were actually transmitting through the cable and shocking the living shit out of us...loud pops and sparks and everything. We all gave up except for the driver who kept at it for at least an hour, blurrting out a loud FUCK! every few seconds as another surge of electricity went through the cable.

I actually like ACDC quite a bit, but the memories and associations I have with them are all funny, small town shenanigan shit like that.
    lol

Sounds like a great reason for Back In Black to run away with this thing.
  • Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,075
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Nevermind and Master of Puppets are both better than Back in Black so I'm tempted to revenge vote for Jimi.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Mad_Son said:

Nevermind and Master of Puppets are both better than Back in Black so I'm tempted to revenge vote for Jimi.

You need a motive to vote for the clearly correct candidate?
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,045
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    #2 AC DC - Back in Black

Well, @swaye called it. Black in Black up at half time with a comfortable lead.

I was thinking about this earlier today. In spite of my strong affinity for both LPs, none is really in my top 20 personal favorites. It's interesting to me what it takes of a group or album to win one of these cluster fucks. Broad based appeal is so critical. I think Exile on Main Street destroys either of these records, but really only @89ute agrees with me.

Musical sledgehammer of justice.

And yes, broad based appeal is key. Master of Puppets didn't win for a reason.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The wrong guys are winning. Not a fair or valid pole.
  • Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,235
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    #2 AC DC - Back in Black
    Yella raises a fair point...I did a little research ('cause I'm bored), and found that I own 35 of the LPs in the tourney. I also found that I own one or more songs (LP/CD/digitally) off of 75% of the albums listed. The way we listen has changed so much, at least for me. It has been probably 15 years since I bought an LP/CD. Most of the long form music I have, my favorite cuts are not (or ever have been) in radio rotation. Zep IV is a favorite, but I would listen to Four Sticks or Misty Mountain Hop waaaay before Stairway. Same with Floyd...I will turn the channel when I hear Money, but I love the rest of the album. I now can hear a song in passing, look it up, download it, and never hear the rest of the album, eliminating a lot of great deep cuts, which for me defines an LP's greatness. Which is why I was clueless for the most part from about '98 onward.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,397
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited October 2020
    #2 AC DC - Back in Black
    Fishpo31 said:

Yella raises a fair point...I did a little research ('cause I'm bored), and found that I own 35 of the LPs in the tourney. I also found that I own one or more songs (LP/CD/digitally) off of 75% of the albums listed. The way we listen has changed so much, at least for me. It has been probably 15 years since I bought an LP/CD. Most of the long form music I have, my favorite cuts are not (or ever have been) in radio rotation. Zep IV is a favorite, but I would listen to Four Sticks or Misty Mountain Hop waaaay before Stairway. Same with Floyd...I will turn the channel when I hear Money, but I love the rest of the album. I now can hear a song in passing, look it up, download it, and never hear the rest of the album, eliminating a lot of great deep cuts, which for me defines an LP's greatness. Which is why I was clueless for the most part from about '98 onward.

45 of 64 (full) LPs for me.