Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

For the TV experts here

LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,532
5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam
Going to buy a new TV Thursday and am looking at Costco -
My choices are narrowed down to 65 inchers - 2 LGs and a Samsung. all have 120hz refresh rates.
Has anyone purchased a new TV recently or is up on the latest greatest.

My only concern is refresh rate and am not familiar with the motion technology.

LG 65" Class - UN8500 Series - 4K UHD LED LCD TV, direct lit LED LCD - no motion technology $700
Features:
Dolby Vision IQ & Dolby Atmos Audio
Native 120Hz Refresh Rate
α7 Gen 3 AI Processor 4K
Google Assistant, Alexa, & Apple Airplay2 Built-In
Magic Remote Included
Screen Size: (64.5" Diag.)

LG 65" Class - NANO91 Series - 4K UHD LED LCD TV, $1050 Includes $100 protection bundle
Features:
TruMotion 240 & Full-Array Local Dimming
α7 Gen 3 Processor 4K

Samsung 65" - RU9000 Series - 4K UHD LED LCD TV $880 includes $65 protection bundle
Features:
Motion Rate 240
Crystal Processor 4K
Multi-Voice Built-In
Dynamic Crystal Display
3 Year Warranty

recommendations welcome I am leaning to the Samsung because I am a cheap bastard and don't want to spoil Mrs Lebam more than she is.

I mainly watch sports and politics - she home improvement and Hallmark, first thing I said when we agreed on this one is we have to watch a good boxing match, just picture the knockout punch in slo mo on a 65 inch TV. Did not excite her

Comments

• Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,296
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Out of curiosity, why the boner for refresh rate?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited October 2020
    one of my kids got a TV with a 60 Hz refresh rate and it blurs on fast motion activity. He had a nascar event on

Edit- but that was a while ago and maybe it is no biggie now
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,060
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    LebamDawg said:

Going to buy a new TV Thursday and am looking at Costco -
    My choices are narrowed down to 65 inchers - 2 LGs and a Samsung. all have 120hz refresh rates.
    Has anyone purchased a new TV recently or is up on the latest greatest.

My only concern is refresh rate and am not familiar with the motion technology.

LG 65" Class - UN8500 Series - 4K UHD LED LCD TV, direct lit LED LCD - no motion technology $700
    Features:
    Native 120Hz Refresh Rate
    α7 Gen 3 AI Processor 4K
    Magic Remote Included

LG 65" Class - NANO91 Series - 4K UHD LED LCD TV, $1050 Includes $100 protection bundle
    Features:
    TruMotion 240 & Full-Array Local Dimming
    α7 Gen 3 Processor 4K

Samsung 65" - RU9000 Series - 4K UHD LED LCD TV $880 includes $65 protection bundle
    Features:
    Motion Rate 240
    Crystal Processor 4K
    Multi-Voice Built-In
    Dynamic Crystal Display
    3 Year Warranty

recommendations welcome I am leaning to the Samsung because I am a cheap bastard and don't want to spoil Mrs Lebam more than she is.

I mainly watch sports and politics - she home improvement and Hallmark, first thing I said when we agreed on this one is we have to watch a good boxing match, just picture the knockout punch in slo mo on a 65 inch TV. Did not excite her

Spend an extra 120 and get the Samsung 6 series QLED.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    LebamDawg said:

one of my kids got a TV with a 60 Hz refresh rate and it blurs on fast motion activity. He had a nascar event on

I ask because sports and politics is broadcast stuff. Your TV will always be limited by the source in that case. Are broadcasters even supplying 120 hz material, let alone 240? If the race was blurry, I'm guessing it was the feed.

OLED is legit better looking. HDR is legit better looking. You have to have a source that takes advantage, though, to make it worth it.

If it were me, I'd just go in the store and look at which set's picture looks the best. Then I'd say, "Fuck it" and buy the cheapest one, because I'm just going to be watching downloaded movies and low-bitrate streaming content anyway. Like buying a super awesome stereo to play a 64 Kbps .mp3.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,472
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    If you want the best picture right now get an OLED LG. If you operate on the basis of "the cool shit now will cost $500 in 2-3 years" you will have spent the next 2-3 years watching a lower quality panel, and then you upgrade to OLED and there's something better available at that point. Just depends on how much you want the coolest shit now. If you're happy with your iPhone 10 and are not upgrading to the 12 this fall you are probably going to be equally happy with something in the range you're looking at now.

One thing to point out is that the brightness settings in the store are going to be ridiculously out of sync with what you would use at home. Each of those screens is fighting against a ton of ambient lighting and the flash from other panels. Don't select your tv just based off of how bright the colors are or you might end up with a Roku tv. Pay attention closest to the black levels and how inky/dark the black colors are. You generally will want the panel with the richest, darkest black.

I'm not an A/V doog, but have read enough every time I've bought a new tv to have a general idea.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,277
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

LebamDawg said:

I ask because sports and politics is broadcast stuff. Your TV will always be limited by the source in that case. Are broadcasters even supplying 120 hz material, let alone 240? If the race was blurry, I'm guessing it was the feed.

OLED is legit better looking. HDR is legit better looking. You have to have a source that takes advantage, though, to make it worth it.

If it were me, I'd just go in the store and look at which set's picture looks the best. Then I'd say, "Fuck it" and buy the cheapest one, because I'm just going to be watching downloaded movies and low-bitrate streaming content anyway. Like buying a super awesome stereo to play a 64 Kbps .mp3.
    Correct answer - because in 2 to 3 years, the cool expensive shit is going to cost the same as the cheapest shit today. Used to play the same game with laptops. Now I look at them as expendable tools - buy what you need and plan on turning them over every 30 to 36 months.

The Throbber got fooled early in this game and bought a sweet Samsung 45 inch blah blah blah something pixel LEDXCYABC -$2400 about 10 years ago. 50 inchers go for about $325 now.

Get the cheapest and biggest - just like you'd select a hooker. All you care about is the happy ending.

One of the most chinciteful posts on this board in a long time. TYFYS
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Well I sprung for a Samsung 65 Crystal UHD 4K set - got it at Warrenton Costco in store special for roughly $525.

Cheapest - check
    Blackest - I am half-ass color blind so huh?
    Hooker - went by myself and did not pickup any hitchhiking hookers

1/3 is not bad for an old fart
  • Options
    USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    Swaye's Wigwam

Refresh rate is tied to frame rate. Television broadcasts at 30 FPS (frame per second) and traditional movies are filmed at 24 FPS. When you watch a film on a 60Hz tv it’s trying to fit 24 FPS into a 60 times a second refresh rate. To do this the tv has to up-convert the 24 FPS film to 30fps to display it properly. So it has to process the frames at 3:2 rate to fit 24 into 60, evenly (some frames are flashed 3 times and some are flashed twice). Obviously it doesn’t have to do this for tv as 30 FPS goes into 60Hz, evenly so each frame gets flashed twice.. A 120 Hz doesn’t have this extra step as both 24 and 30 go into 120, evenly (flashed 5 times for 30 and 6 times for 24). You eliminate the extra conversion step and see each frame the same number of times, thus eliminating the blurring effect of a 60Hz tv.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited October 2020
    USMChawk said:

Refresh rate is tied to frame rate. Television broadcasts at 30 FPS (frame per second) and traditional movies are filmed at 24 FPS. When you watch a film on a 60Hz tv it’s trying to fit 24 FPS into a 60 times a second refresh rate. To do this the tv has to up-convert the 24 FPS film to 30fps to display it properly. So it has to process the frames at 3:2 rate to fit 24 into 60, evenly (some frames are flashed 3 times and some are flashed twice). Obviously it doesn’t have to do this for tv as 30 FPS goes into 60Hz, evenly so each frame gets flashed twice.. A 120 Hz doesn’t have this extra step as both 24 and 30 go into 120, evenly (flashed 5 times for 30 and 6 times for 24). You eliminate the extra conversion step and see each frame the same number of times, thus eliminating the blurring effect of a 60Hz tv.
    Yeah, I get all that, but he said he watches sports and politics. That's all going to be 30p, so that's why I was asking him. Good information above, though, for others who may be in the market.
  • Options
    USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    Swaye's Wigwam

USMChawk said:

Yeah, I get all that, but he said he watches sports and politics. That's all going to be 30p, so that's why I was asking him. Good information above, though, for others who may be in the market.
    My guess? All inputs (on a 60Hz tv) are sent through the processor, regardless of 24 or 30 FPS. If so, it’s still an additional processing step. Or, it could just be new and improved technology on a 120 Hz and 240 Hz TVs.