Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

HH Favorite Rock Album Final 4 - #1 Nevermind vs #2 Back in Black

Comments

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,864
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited October 2020
    #2 Back in Black
    Fishpo31 said:

When Cobain died, I didn't get it, but I wasn't listening to it, or grunge, for that matter. I slowly began to listen to it...the music was good, but the lyrics intrigued me. When Cornell kicked, a buddy of mine (a Marine) who loved SG, called him a pussy for tapping out. It clicked then, for me. These guys had pretty fucked up upbringings early on, for whatever reason, started writing about it.

Cornell, Eddie, Layne, et.al are/were socially inept, insecure, self-conscious, and deeply flawed people. Man In a Box or Rusty Cage or Alive didn't come from a creative writing class at the U. Cobain wrote In Bloom about all the bros raging at their shows that didn't get what it was about. Eddie pushed back on releasing Black as a single, and couldn't get thru it on stage early in their career...Dark shit for them...The pain created the art...my 2 cents...

I can't figure out why these pussies were so fucking depressed. Wasn't Seattle way cooler in the late 80's and early 90's? And we? were winning Rose Bowls.

I mean fuck @creepycoug had to be a lil swarthy kid getting beat up by those logging camp liberals and you don't see him taking the easy way out.
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,246
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    #2 Back in Black

Fishpo31 said:

When Cobain died, I didn't get it, but I wasn't listening to it, or grunge, for that matter. I slowly began to listen to it...the music was good, but the lyrics intrigued me. When Cornell kicked, a buddy of mine (a Marine) who loved SG, called him a pussy for tapping out. It clicked then, for me. These guys had pretty fucked up upbringings early on, for whatever reason, started writing about it.

Cornell, Eddie, Layne, et.al are/were socially inept, insecure, self-conscious, and deeply flawed people. Man In a Box or Rusty Cage or Alive didn't come from a creative writing class at the U. Cobain wrote In Bloom about all the bros raging at their shows that didn't get what it was about. Eddie pushed back on releasing Black as a single, and couldn't get thru it on stage early in their career...Dark shit for them...The pain created the art...my 2 cents...

I can't figure out why these pussies were so fucking depressed. Wasn't Seattle way cooler in the late 80's and early 90's? And we? were winning Rose Bowls.

I mean fuck @creepycoug had to be a lil swarthy kid getting beat up by those logging camp liberals and you don't see him taking the easy way out.
    I couldn’t figure it out for a long time, but I was one of “the cool kids”...
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #2 Back in Black
    dflea said:

Fishpo31 said:

Have you even been to Aberdeen? A couple trips through town and I'm getting thoughts of jumping off a bridge. creep was a rough and tumble yute - not a creative artist type. Those dudes get beat up in a town like Aberdeen or Shelton.
    Yup.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #2 Back in Black
    Back in Black takes it 16-14 to advance to the Natty Game.
  • Options
    ShakespeareDawgShakespeareDawg Member Posts: 30
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    #1 Nevermind
    https://youtu.be/BmWjMw8vlxc

A tune i did want f'r mine own play about young star cross‘d lov'rs, but curses! the musician didst wanteth too much from thy own purse in royalties.
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    #2 Back in Black

dflea said:

Fishpo31 said:

Have you even been to Aberdeen? A couple trips through town and I'm getting thoughts of jumping off a bridge. creep was a rough and tumble yute - not a creative artist type. Those dudes get beat up in a town like Aberdeen or Shelton.
    All jokes aside, the flea is correct. There were no bullies in Aberdeen. The word didn’t exist. You either took shit or you didn’t. Lots of people around to help you find out which one you were going to be.

Aberdeen is where I learned the lesson that you fight even if you’re going to get your ass kicked. You just make sure the fucker pays for the trouble and walks away with some pain for the next few days. This all gets sorted out early in junior high school.

The ‘Deen was full of rough characters in my day.
    In creep's day, the tough yutes were rocking Back In Black and having keggers out on Reynvaans bar on the Hump. This album deserves its place in the finals.
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    #2 Back in Black
    Are we? voting on one of two albums or having a referendum on grunge music????????
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,062
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #1 Nevermind

Fishpo31 said:

Yes, yes it was. Height of crack cocaine, height of gang violence. Pre gentrified CD. Pre 'International District.' Pre or just at beginning of 'America's most Livable City.' For struggling musicians, throw in super high rates of heroin use, and you get your depressed answer. I could go on and on about that time in Seattle, but despite the warts it was a good time. Just kind of the start of what made Seattle so great in the mid to late 90's. Pretty certain 91 or 92 had the highest number of murders in the last 40 years. This year is getting close. Late 80's definitely started the transition to the 90's Seattle most people love.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    #2 Back in Black

Fishpo31 said:

Yes, yes it was. Height of crack cocaine, height of gang violence. Pre gentrified CD. Pre 'International District.' Pre or just at beginning of 'America's most Livable City.' For struggling musicians, throw in super high rates of heroin use, and you get your depressed answer. I could go on and on about that time in Seattle, but despite the warts it was a good time. Just kind of the start of what made Seattle so great in the mid to late 90's. Pretty certain 91 or 92 had the highest number of murders in the last 40 years. This year is getting close. Late 80's definitely started the transition to the 90's Seattle most people love.
    All excellent points.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,472
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    #2 Back in Black
    Biggest reason Seattle was cooler then versus now is because anyone could afford to live in the city. Now you have to pull down six figures. Tacoma is a cooler place to be these days.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    #2 Back in Black

Biggest reason Seattle was cooler then versus now is because anyone could afford to live in the city. Now you have to pull down six figures. Tacoma is a cooler place to be these days.

That ain't it. Anyone can afford to live in Aberdeen today. Still, not very cool.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    #2 Back in Black

That ain't it. Anyone can afford to live in Aberdeen today. Still, not very cool.
    Tell me more about when Aberdeen was ever a population center. It is 100% it. It's why Bellevue has never been cool.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    #2 Back in Black

@PurpleJ, true?
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    #2 Back in Black

Tell me more about when Aberdeen was ever a population center. It is 100% it. It's why Bellevue has never been cool.
    I, for one, appreciate the high cost. It keeps out the riff raff and indicates a strong economis. That is, if you still believe in free market economis.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #2 Back in Black

I, for one, appreciate the high cost. It keeps out the riff raff and indicates a strong economis. That is, if you still believe in free market economis.
    This is a valid point @creepycoug . My old Seattle house had some 60s era multi family too close. Way too much riff raff. Now it’s no pours allowed for me.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    #2 Back in Black

For the record I completely agree with you on that.