Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Beautiful wasp zombifies cockroach

Comments

• Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,906
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    That was great. Wonderful camera work.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Up close pictures of a yellow jacket stinger

• GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Founders Club
    LebamDawg said:

that is good film - I hate all forms of wasps/bees/spiders as I am allergic to those bastards. This appears to be the only one that does some good in the world.
    With my luck I would run into a large hive of these guys and they would make me into a zombie.
    more of a zombie would be more accurate.

Made me look up a couple of things - which insect sting hurts the most. Out of this list I have had fire ants, yellow jacket, honey bee, and bald-faced hornet stings. BF hornet put me in the hospital for 3 days once, twice to emergency room, yellow jacket ER trip, fire ant just made me uncomfortable for 5 days. Honey Bee I missed 3 days of work - stepped on one and my leg looked like Alley Oop's leg.

https://www.planetdeadly.com/animals/painful-stings-schmidt-pain-index

Great link. I thought the tarantula hawk was the worst sting in the world but those bullet ant accounts are pure nightmare fuel.

"Pure, intense, brilliant pain. Like fire-walking over flaming charcoal with a 3-inch rusty nail in your heel."
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,510
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Last September I was setting up elk camp in the Colockum. My black lab was with me and I got out the weed whacker to start clearing grass. I see my dog start snapping at his butt just before the first hornet stings me. I'd disturbed an underground yellow jackets nest and a nest of bald faced hornets on the back of a log. Fortunately hornets go after black so my hound got it worse than I did. We took off running. I've got 3 bfh attached to my shirt. Those bastards will latch on and keep giving you the business. Were running and I'm swatting at myself, I look at my dog and the poor fellow has hornets attached to his fur coming along for the ride. I started smacking him while running trying to knock the hornets off of him. We ran over 100 yards on a dead sprint and those bastards were still stinging us. I flat out couldn't run anymore I was gasping for air rolling on an old logging road trying to smash the remaining hornets. When it was over I got bit/stung 8 times that found skin. Not sure how many the dog had but they were flat out stuck to his hide letting him have it.

I never would have made it to the hospital. I would be in HH Hell (worse than actually being here). Damn, glad you made it. When I went to the hospital, I got stung once, at the same time my wife took out the nest she got stung 6 times. Joke in the family now. On that list of stings, the BFH should be up higher
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,510
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    bald face hornets - https://www.pestco.com/9-reasons-to-fear-the-bald-faced-hornet/

one of the best descriptions of them I think
    Swaye's Wigwam
    LebamDawg said:

Last September I was setting up elk camp in the Colockum. My black lab was with me and I got out the weed whacker to start clearing grass. I see my dog start snapping at his butt just before the first hornet stings me. I'd disturbed an underground yellow jackets nest and a nest of bald faced hornets on the back of a log. Fortunately hornets go after black so my hound got it worse than I did. We took off running. I've got 3 bfh attached to my shirt. Those bastards will latch on and keep giving you the business. Were running and I'm swatting at myself, I look at my dog and the poor fellow has hornets attached to his fur coming along for the ride. I started smacking him while running trying to knock the hornets off of him. We ran over 100 yards on a dead sprint and those bastards were still stinging us. I flat out couldn't run anymore I was gasping for air rolling on an old logging road trying to smash the remaining hornets. When it was over I got bit/stung 8 times that found skin. Not sure how many the dog had but they were flat out stuck to his hide letting him have it.

I never would have made it to the hospital. I would be in HH Hell (worse than actually being here). Damn, glad you made it. When I went to the hospital, I got stung once, at the same time my wife took out the nest she got stung 6 times. Joke in the family now. On that list of stings, the BFH should be up higher
    Some people like yourself really need to be careful. Do you carry an epi pen with you? My dad back in the day had his tongue swell up real bad and needed to go to the hospital. Fortunately I've got a tolerance for hornet venom as I have been swarmed and stung by multiple hornets 3 times on my life.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    lmao

mukilteo. close enough i guess
    Founders Club

Aw fuck, y'all are giving me flashbacks. CSB:
    A tarantula hawk got me good a few years back.

Basically imagine sticking an appendage in a light socket, while also being on fire, and you'll have a good idea what it feels like.

They say it lasts only 5 minutes; it was definitely not a lengthy ordeal but I estimate 7-8 minutes. I don't remember going to the car but apparently I bit down on a towel which seems to have helped me from hurting my jaw/teeth.

But that kind of pain has lasting effects. Wasp PTSD basically, lulz. I was sweating profusely and couldn't catch my breath for like an hour. Supposedly they are only in western KS, not my southeastern part of the state, but every time I see big orange wings I head the other direction, just in case.

I had a bio professor at UW say that her sting from a TH was more painful than the birth of her firstborn. Were you just out in the wild and didn't notice until it got you? Do you think you stepped on it or something? They are known as not usually being aggressive towards people.