Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

No one needs the season more than Jimmy

We forget it now, but initial momentum and enthusiasm after Jimmy's hiring was pretty damn positive. We retained 100% of the recruiting class (thanks Pete), and knowing coaches like Saban actively tried to poach Jimmy for years made it seem all very new and exciting.

Then he hired John Donovan and immediately torpedoed any positive capital he had built up. Completely uninspired hiring of a dude with a long precedent of failure. Is Jimmy over his head? Clearly he panicked after Kellen turned us down for the NFL. Hiring someone solely because of 'NFL experience' is a frighteningly short-sighted position. The NFL is mostly a nepotistic, monkey-see-monkey-do cornucopia of low IQ former coaches. The malaise from the Donovan hire then bled into recruiting and there have been several more red flags about Jimmy since.

There's a chance, however slight, that Donovan sold Jimmy on something new and the offense will actually turn out good. Jimmy may end up looking like a genius, although I'd say 81% chance Donovan falls flat on his face.

Prove us wrong, Jimmy.

Comments

• haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,586 Swaye's Wigwam
    We're just going to run the ball and throw to tight ends.

Hopefully.

The frustrating close losses probably aren't going away.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

I'm beginning to care. A little. A whit if you will

I have full faith in Donovan to quickly take you to your whit's end.
  • TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,692 Founders Club
    edited September 2020
    A mini season at least removes the unknown regarding the "new offense". in a way i think that even if we suck offensively [if that is how it turns out] its still better than wondering. i liked our chances better before guys started opting out but oregon has fared worse that way so there is that.
  • GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
    edited September 2020

Hiring someone solely because of 'NFL experience' is a frighteningly short-sighted position. The NFL is mostly a nepotistic, monkey-see-monkey-do cornucopia of low IQ former coaches.

College coaches are worse to hire from. If we? have learned anything it is that most coaches suck so it is all Jimmy sink or swim win or lose. I thought the reaction to the Donovan hire was a tad overblown but I don't follow it as closely as those who were livid about it. Because its the head coach so Jimmy should be able to hire who he wants since we? are going to fire him if he fails.

If we? want to keep the recruits we have and steal more we need to win and win big. And beat Oregon

But I care not a whit about it

I agree with your overall point, although I'd argue that innovation is slightly better in CFB and tends to trickle upwards to the NFL more than vice versa. Another thread for another day.
    haie said:

Hopefully.

Yeah. It can't really get much worse than last year. This isn't rocket science. The D and running game should be fine. Just don't fuck up the passing game. Coaches by design over-complicate this shit though.
    LB_33 said:

I like the narrative that Kellen chose the NFL over UW. Not like he was already in the NFL or anything, making more money and not having to recruit.

What narrative? It's public knowledge that Kellen sat on both offers for a few days before sticking with the NFL. We then clearly didn't have a backup plan. That's all I am saying. Also who the fuck are you?
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Gladstone said:

Hiring someone solely because of 'NFL experience' is a frighteningly short-sighted position. The NFL is mostly a nepotistic, monkey-see-monkey-do cornucopia of low IQ former coaches.

College coaches are worse to hire from. If we? have learned anything it is that most coaches suck so it is all Jimmy sink or swim win or lose. I thought the reaction to the Donovan hire was a tad overblown but I don't follow it as closely as those who were livid about it. Because its the head coach so Jimmy should be able to hire who he wants since we? are going to fire him if he fails.

If we? want to keep the recruits we have and steal more we need to win and win big. And beat Oregon

I agree with your overall point, although I'd argue that innovation is slightly better in CFB and tends to trickle upwards to the NFL more than vice versa. Another thread for another day.
    haie said:

Hopefully.

Yeah. It can't really get much worse than last year. This isn't rocket science. The D and running game should be fine. Just don't fuck up the passing game. Coaches by design over-complicate this shit though.
    LB_33 said:

I like the narrative that Kellen chose the NFL over UW. Not like he was already in the NFL or anything, making more money and not having to recruit.

What narrative? It's public knowledge that Kellen sat on both offers for a few days before sticking with the NFL. We then clearly didn't have a backup plan. That's all I am saying. Also who the fuck are you?
    I'm with you on college being more innovative. It's pretty well established that innovation trickles up.
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,128
    LB_33 said:

I wonder if Moore was planning to come here when Pete was here, Jimmy expected him to stay that course, and then he backed out. The whole OC hire thing was so strange.
  • LB_33LB_33 Member Posts: 323

LB_33 said:

I wonder if Moore was planning to come here when Pete was here, Jimmy expected him to stay that course, and then he backed out. The whole OC hire thing was so strange.
    Yeah I don’t know how seriously Moore took that offer. He basically gets free reign on O for the Cowboys and with all the weapons he has I can’t imagine him taking a lateral move at best to the college game. I always felt like that was a doog talking point to make the OC search better than it was. And if it was a serious offer, and Pete stayed, then maybe it holds water.

Good NFL coordinators don’t go lateral to college coordinator jobs. It just doesn’t happen. Now lackluster NFL position assistants to college coordinators....
  • LB_33LB_33 Member Posts: 323
    Gladstone said:

haie said:

Hopefully.

LB_33 said:

https://media4.giphy.com/media/KgtW3o95LeEGk/giphy.gif
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,660 Founders Club
    dnc said:

Gladstone said:

haie said:

Hopefully.

LB_33 said:

I'm with you on college being more innovative. It's pretty well established that innovation trickles up.
    Joe Brady learned from the Saints

What he learned was that you need a great quarterback

Took that to LSU
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,586 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2020

dnc said:

Gladstone said:

haie said:

Hopefully.

LB_33 said:

Joe Brady learned from the Saints

What he learned was that you need a great quarterback

Took that to LSU
    They could have been run heavy and just mixed in play action and still would have won it rather easily.

It's almost like you should roll dice on transfers every year at the quarterback position and not let the good ones choose a fucking shit school like BULLDOG over you.
  • TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    haie said:

Hopefully.

exactly what I see coming.

Kill it now.