Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Kohler is with Ossai now

Erik Kohler, a two-year starter on Washington’s offensive line, has taken a medical retirement.

“My body just couldn’t do it any more,” Kohler told The Seattle Times on Thursday.

As a redshirt junior, Kohler appeared in five games for UW in 2013, including two starts at left guard. He started five games as a true freshman for the Huskies in 2010 and had a streak of 20 consecutive starts from 2010 to 2012, mostly at right tackle, before a series of injuries derailed his career.

He will remain on scholarship and plans to finish his UW undergraduate degree later this year, but he won’t count against the NCAA limit of 85 scholarships.

“My body is definitely happier (now),” he said. “But I’ve been playing football since my freshman year in high school, and I’ve been an athlete all my life, and there isn’t really anything that can prepare you for this.”

Kohler, listed at 6-feet-4, 294 pounds, was considered one of the nation’s top five high school guards coming out of Oaks Christian High (Calif.) in the Class of 2010. He chose UW over Notre Dame, arriving in Seattle — along with touted quarterback Nick Montana, an Oaks Christian teammate — with much fanfare.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/huskyfootball/2014/01/09/uw-offensive-lineman-erik-kohler-takes-medical-retirement/

Comments

• Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,582
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Great player development as always, Sark
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Montana and Kohler might have been the greatest recruiting package for UW ever.
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Colin Porter approves this thread about Sark and player development as well as the recruiting promise "come with us and you'll play early."
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    medical retirement? Does he get a full pension?
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2014
    Kohler was as bad as any 2008 lineman when he played RT in 2011. As Bananasnblondes noted, Kohler looked like a fat, middle school skater douche, not an offensive lineman. Sark's player development has been suspect, but like Potato'e, I'm not sure Kohler was any good to begin with.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

Kohler was as bad as any 2008 lineman when he played RT in 2011. As Bananasnblondes noted, Kohler looked like a fat, middle school skater douche, not an offensive lineman. Sark's player development has been suspect, but like Potato'e, I'm not sure Kohler was any good to begin with.

Kohler actually played very well his first few games. He was thrown in against Nebraska and did pretty well. Did he play guard then? Then he got pneumonia or something and missed a few games and the OL was noticeably worse. In 2011 he was awful as a tackle.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Kohler actually played very well his first few games. He was thrown in against Nebraska and did pretty well. Did he play guard then? Then he got pneumonia or something and missed a few games and the OL was noticeably worse. In 2011 he was awful as a tackle.
    Yes, against Nebraska he played guard. I do agree he would have been much better at guard, but I don't think he was ever any good. I think fans were excited to see a highly touted guy and were impressed he was playing as a true freshman (same with Potoae starting a few games as a freshman).

Kohler's biography on gohuskies says he missed the ASU and OSU games because of mono. Polk had over 100 yards in both of those games, and Locker one of his best games against Oregon State. We The OL was the worst against Stanford when Porter started at RG and Kohler was at RT.

• Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Kohler was good against Nebraska. I remember the broadcast pumping up one of their all-american DL (Crick?) and the very next play he got pancaked by true frosh Kohler.

He definitely had the tools, maybe not the heart to overcome adversity at this level, but he was one ball of dough that could have been molded with the right coach.
  • Options
    unfrozencavemanunfrozencaveman Member Posts: 2,303
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    3 star vs 4 star vs diamond in the rough 2 star

Looking for OKG's, period. Which starts with mental toughness
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,451
    He did not have nice hips.
  • Options
    BayDawgBayDawg Member Posts: 1,623
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Meek said:

Colin Porter approves this thread about Sark and player development as well as the recruiting promise "come with us and you'll play early."

...and you won't be able to lift your fucking right arm when your 25.