Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Making money after a career in politics

MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
edited April 2013 in Tug Tavern
I was thinking this idea should fly with Obama because it seems fair.

If a person has spent more than 50% of their career in public service, such as community organizer, city council, mayor, state or federal legislature, any appointed positions such as judge or cabinet member; any money they make from speaking fees or books after they enter public service should be taxed at 90% from the gross amount (no loopholes). I mean, how is it fair that someone gets wealthy from a career as noble as public service? If it wasn't for the American people paying their way for their career they wouldn't be able to make so much. So isn't it really the American people’s money that they are getting? If they spend less than 50% of their career in public service, then we would slide the 90% rate lower, but it would be no less than 50%.

At a certain point, I think public service people have made enough. As an alternative or maybe in addition to, we should cap what they make to 10 times the average wage of the U.S. militayr personel.

I say this not because I think it will generate enough revenue to fix the defict, but because I think it will level the playing field. Any tax revenue generated would be used to pay teachers, police, firefighters and fund the public library.

It certianly wouldn't hurt the economy.

Who’s with me?

firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/24/17898376-as-she-weighs-a-presidential-bid-clinton-set-to-cash-in?lite

Comments