Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Call it now: who will start at QB?

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Ethan Garbers (Corona Del Mar)
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

haie said:

Tequilla said:

The Game 1 starter should be Sirmon ... it's the "politically correct" thing to do and here's why:

If Sirmon doesn't win the job then you can almost guarantee that he's gone ... he's already given you plenty of warning on that.

Thompson has obvious game experience but unless he wows he's the guy that you have as a package and/or backup QB.

Morris I don't think is a lost cause but I also don't expect him to ever take a meaningful snap at UW. It'd be TERRIBLE optics for him to start unless he's decidedly better. Starting Sirmon over him makes sense and is hard for Morris to not look at that move as working to gear up for the eventual battle between Morris/Garbers/Huard.

Garbers IMO is probably the most talented of the current QBs on the roster but I can't imagine that COVID has helped him in being able to play this year and he's almost assuredly heading for a redshirt season. I'm FASCINATED in seeing how Lake carves out a meaningful role for both Garbers and Huard because the giant risk with Huard is that he clears out Morris/Garbers on the roster and our depth goes to dogshit.

Sirmon's the right play because not only do I think he has the most arm talent of the existing group, but I also think he buys the staff time to get Huard in next year and allow everything to play itself out in additional competition over the next 10 months before Game 1 of 2021. Worst thing that this staff can do right now is go about looking at the QB position that thins it out. I'm not saying that this season doesn't matter (it does, don't twist), but roster management is going to be critical given the recruiting challenges that we've had for the 2021 class and implications moving on to 2022.

There is no right play this year. They're going with Sirmon because of his years in the program, but the constant bad decisions and terrible inaccuracy on a lot of throws can't have changed much from last year.

Thomson isn't here to start, Morris would have a chance if Pete still coached here which thank Christ he doesn't, and they aren't throwing a year away on a true freshman.

You're FASCINATED by all this? Bored of tweeting about garbage ass mountain west fucking TCU?
    Sirmon's thrown 3 passes in a game and nobody has really seen anything about him in over 12 months minimum and really more like 18 months. To say that a QB isn't going to grow a bit in that time period is probably missing the mark.

The thing about Sirmon is that UW doesn't need him to be great. They need him to make the throws that are there. They are going to be a 60/40 run to pass team at minimum in my mind. But there's going to be a lot of play action and the ability for Sirmon to push the ball down the field and I'm confident that he's got the best arm on the roster.

If he is showing a lot of bad decisions and inaccuracy that leads to turnovers, then he clearly won't start and losing him as a transfer isn't that big of a deal obviously.

My guess though is that Sirmon's marginally the better option and as you mentioned his "experience" is going to win the day for him. Morris would have a shot but in my view really only if Sirmon's turnover propensity is large. Garbers would have to lap the field in my mind to earn the job.
    I’ll be shocked if they are 60-40 run-pass. If so that means we don’t have a QB.
    We’ve been 60/40 effectively over the last handful of years I believe
    There’s no fucking way
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,472
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Kevin Thomson (Auburn Riverside)
    dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

haie said:

Tequilla said:

The Game 1 starter should be Sirmon ... it's the "politically correct" thing to do and here's why:

If Sirmon doesn't win the job then you can almost guarantee that he's gone ... he's already given you plenty of warning on that.

Thompson has obvious game experience but unless he wows he's the guy that you have as a package and/or backup QB.

Morris I don't think is a lost cause but I also don't expect him to ever take a meaningful snap at UW. It'd be TERRIBLE optics for him to start unless he's decidedly better. Starting Sirmon over him makes sense and is hard for Morris to not look at that move as working to gear up for the eventual battle between Morris/Garbers/Huard.

Garbers IMO is probably the most talented of the current QBs on the roster but I can't imagine that COVID has helped him in being able to play this year and he's almost assuredly heading for a redshirt season. I'm FASCINATED in seeing how Lake carves out a meaningful role for both Garbers and Huard because the giant risk with Huard is that he clears out Morris/Garbers on the roster and our depth goes to dogshit.

Sirmon's the right play because not only do I think he has the most arm talent of the existing group, but I also think he buys the staff time to get Huard in next year and allow everything to play itself out in additional competition over the next 10 months before Game 1 of 2021. Worst thing that this staff can do right now is go about looking at the QB position that thins it out. I'm not saying that this season doesn't matter (it does, don't twist), but roster management is going to be critical given the recruiting challenges that we've had for the 2021 class and implications moving on to 2022.

There is no right play this year. They're going with Sirmon because of his years in the program, but the constant bad decisions and terrible inaccuracy on a lot of throws can't have changed much from last year.

Thomson isn't here to start, Morris would have a chance if Pete still coached here which thank Christ he doesn't, and they aren't throwing a year away on a true freshman.

You're FASCINATED by all this? Bored of tweeting about garbage ass mountain west fucking TCU?
    Sirmon's thrown 3 passes in a game and nobody has really seen anything about him in over 12 months minimum and really more like 18 months. To say that a QB isn't going to grow a bit in that time period is probably missing the mark.

The thing about Sirmon is that UW doesn't need him to be great. They need him to make the throws that are there. They are going to be a 60/40 run to pass team at minimum in my mind. But there's going to be a lot of play action and the ability for Sirmon to push the ball down the field and I'm confident that he's got the best arm on the roster.

If he is showing a lot of bad decisions and inaccuracy that leads to turnovers, then he clearly won't start and losing him as a transfer isn't that big of a deal obviously.

My guess though is that Sirmon's marginally the better option and as you mentioned his "experience" is going to win the day for him. Morris would have a shot but in my view really only if Sirmon's turnover propensity is large. Garbers would have to lap the field in my mind to earn the job.
    I’ll be shocked if they are 60-40 run-pass. If so that means we don’t have a QB.
    There’s no fucking way
    Maybe he's factoring in the WR screens and the fact that Browning couldn't throw with velocity more than 5 yards downfield.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Jacob Sirmon (Bothell)
    dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

haie said:

Tequilla said:

There’s no fucking way
    2016: 57%/43% Run/Pass for both all games and in conference (heavy pass games against USC, Arizona St, Alabama)

2017: 58%/42% all games; 60%/40% conference (highest pass game was Game 1 vs Rutgers at 56% pass)

2018: 58%/42% all games; 63%/37% conference (only games over 50/50 were North Dakota and Ohio St)

2019: 53%/47% all games (excluding the Boise game); 52%/48% conference (very skewed passing in games we chased at Stanford and Utah)

My sense is that last year a mix of injuries, being enamored with "arm talent" and game situations pushed the mix more towards 50/50. I think in general the goal is to be much closer to 60/40 (see 2016-2018 - all years we either won or shared the North title outright). A young QB would also suggest to me that we're going to return to the 2016-2018 levels.

The comment about "QB Sacks" is a fair one on the mix and it does likely push the "play call" mix down a bit. That being said, trying to parse that data out is much more of an exercise that IMO isn't super value added.

I think with the way that UW's built its program (strong on both sides of the line, bad weather back half of the year, emphasis on TEs) that the 60/40 mix is really something to keep an eye on. If/When we've traditionally been in that 60%+ run ratio, it's an indication of dominating play at the LOS and a big time leading indicator of our success. Where that indicator will change a bit is when it comes to playing the elite programs where we may not be as dominant on the LOS and that's where you're going to need the high end QB/WR skills needed to pick up chunk plays as sustaining drives on the ground vanishes.
  • Options
    Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,908
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Dylan Morris (Graham-Kapowsin)
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

haie said:

Tequilla said:

There’s no fucking way
    2016: 57%/43% Run/Pass for both all games and in conference (heavy pass games against USC, Arizona St, Alabama)

2017: 58%/42% all games; 60%/40% conference (highest pass game was Game 1 vs Rutgers at 56% pass)

2018: 58%/42% all games; 63%/37% conference (only games over 50/50 were North Dakota and Ohio St)

2019: 53%/47% all games (excluding the Boise game); 52%/48% conference (very skewed passing in games we chased at Stanford and Utah)

My sense is that last year a mix of injuries, being enamored with "arm talent" and game situations pushed the mix more towards 50/50. I think in general the goal is to be much closer to 60/40 (see 2016-2018 - all years we either won or shared the North title outright). A young QB would also suggest to me that we're going to return to the 2016-2018 levels.

The comment about "QB Sacks" is a fair one on the mix and it does likely push the "play call" mix down a bit. That being said, trying to parse that data out is much more of an exercise that IMO isn't super value added.

I think with the way that UW's built its program (strong on both sides of the line, bad weather back half of the year, emphasis on TEs) that the 60/40 mix is really something to keep an eye on. If/When we've traditionally been in that 60%+ run ratio, it's an indication of dominating play at the LOS and a big time leading indicator of our success. Where that indicator will change a bit is when it comes to playing the elite programs where we may not be as dominant on the LOS and that's where you're going to need the high end QB/WR skills needed to pick up chunk plays as sustaining drives on the ground vanishes.
    Disagree
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

haie said:

Tequilla said:

There’s no fucking way

Once you count sacks as passes rather than runs you get the following percentages the past 5 seasons:

2019: 50.3% run, 49.7% pass
    2018: 55.7% run, 44.3% pass
    2017: 55.2% run, 44.8% pass
    2016: 53.7% run, 46.3% pass
    2015: 50.9% run, 49.1% pass

Considering some of those runs were still designed passes where the QB scrambled for yards (Browning was oddly decent at this, I don't think Eason did it as much) your true play call percentages are more varying from 50:50 to 55:45.

I can't see them going 60:40 this year.
  • Options
    Jacob Sirmon (Bothell)
    dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

haie said:

Tequilla said:

There’s no fucking way

Once you count sacks as passes rather than runs you get the following percentages the past 5 seasons:

Considering some of those runs were still designed passes where the QB scrambled for yards (Browning was oddly decent at this, I don't think Eason did it as much) your true play call percentages are more varying from 50:50 to 55:45.

I’m going off 60% based on how the numbers roll in ...

You’re saying 55% because you’ve done math to normalize

We’re saying effectively the same thing
  • Options
    dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

haie said:

Tequilla said:

There’s no fucking way

And, of course, who knows how many of these were RPOs full blown audibles from run to pass or vice versa.

There's a lot of noise in the data but I don't see anything to suggest they want a 60-40 split other than the idea that if they're up big they will naturally run more so of course everyone wants a split like that for those reasons.
  • Options
    Jacob Sirmon (Bothell)
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

haie said:

Tequilla said:

There’s no fucking way

And, of course, who knows how many of these were RPOs full blown audibles from run to pass or vice versa.

There's a lot of noise in the data but I don't see anything to suggest they want a 60-40 split other than the idea that if they're up big they will naturally run more so of course everyone wants a split like that for those reasons.
    Now you’re cherry picking into “either way it will be interesting” territory

Obviously you run more when up ... your 2015/2019 numbers prove that

And you’re proving my point ... a heavy run emphasis is a desired quality and it’s also something (being a physical run team) that Lake has mentioned repeatedly
  • Options
    NoWarningJustDawgNoWarningJustDawg Member Posts: 1,000
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    I would love if UW had a run-first program, but I don't see it happening. And I think the stats over the last several years are skewed by a lot of late handoffs to MMFG, etc with big leads against gassed defenses. When the game was in doubt? Nah, I very rarely saw a real commitment to being run-heavy.

The part that induced the hardest eyeroll was "If Sirmon doesn't win the job then you can almost guarantee that he's gone"

He's already left once, has he not? Why should I care. It's what QBs do these days anyway.

...Because of some silly "hope" bullshit, I picked the guy who has actually done...anything...after high school. EWIWBI.
    Cheers--
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,440
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Jacob Sirmon (Bothell)
    Gladstone said:

lol

That looks like a quarterback that's ready to come out and big dick Oregon on the road while losing to beavlet and Arizona at home.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,705
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Gladstone said:

lol

Put me down on team Thompson.

Didn’t realize he had that flow and swagger.
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Jacob Sirmon (Bothell)
    BBK hair is back 😍
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,297
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited October 2020
    Just to be clear, the mulleted QB pictured above is Sirmon, right? I'm team mullet, so how do I change my vote?
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Jacob Sirmon (Bothell)

Just to be clear, the mulleted QB pictured above is Sirmon, right? I'm team mullet, so how do I change my vote?

Correct
  • Options
    Jacob Sirmon (Bothell)
    New hair ...

New attitude ...

Definitely ready to rumble
  • Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,605
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    Gladstone said:

lol

Hopefully he brings a Billy Joe type of cocky/douchey. Not just douchey.