Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Learned something surprising a couple days ago about the fast food industry

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,410 Founders Club
edited September 2020 in Tug Tavern
I was talking to my sister who lives in Arizona. She works for one of the nation's largest commercial property management companies. They collect rents for Walmart, Red Lobster, Target, etc. She said fast food chains are making a killing during Covid. They have significantly lowered overhead while having long lines of customers at the drive-thru windows. She says they are doing better now than before the Covid lockdowns. I found this to be shocking but she insists it's true.

Comments

• Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,207 Swaye's Wigwam
    Of course they are. People are poorer and the competition of quick dine in has been eliminated. Never seen so much fast food trash in parking lots, everyone is wasting in their cars.
  • LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member Posts: 13,300
    And zero dining in, so way more streamlined
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,708 Swaye's Wigwam

I was talking to my sister who lives in Arizona. She works for one of the nation's largest commercial property management companies. They collect rents for Walmart, Red Lobster, Target, etc. She said fast food chains are making a killing during Covid. They have significantly lowered overhead while having long lines of customers at the drive-thru windows. She says they are doing better now than before the Covid lockdowns. I found this to be shocking but she insists it's true.

Pretty sure @Pitchfork51 chinned this because of Arizona
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    Bob_C said:

Of course they are. People are poorer and the competition of quick dine in has been eliminated. Never seen so much fast food trash in parking lots, everyone is wasting in their cars.

Perhaps true in some parts of the country ... but fast food (unless you live on the value menu) at least in Seattle isn't that much cheaper than actual good food

This I think is the bigger issue

I much prefer going to a restaurant and eating compared to fast food ... but I can't really sit down easily in a restaurant and have a beer or whatever and watch some sports while I wait for my food, it becomes more tied to would I rather wait the 5-10 minutes to get the fast food by my house or the 30+ minutes to get a meal in a restaurant plus the time to drive to/from?

It's all about substitution and value ... and current conditions makes fast food look a little better.
    Soylent green is covid people!
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,566 Standard Supporter
    RIP, Hooters girls.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,852
    edited September 2020
    I can't stand sitting down in restaurants

I don't mind the bar.

But restaurants nowadays are bullshit. After you've had a drink or two I can't finish an appetizer, much less some monster plate of food.
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    Tequilla said:

I much prefer going to a restaurant and eating compared to fast food ... but I can't really sit down easily in a restaurant and have a beer or whatever and watch some sports while I wait for my food, it becomes more tied to would I rather wait the 5-10 minutes to get the fast food by my house or the 30+ minutes to get a meal in a restaurant plus the time to drive to/from?

It's all about substitution and value ... and current conditions makes fast food look a little better.
    Christ, where do you live?
    doogie said:

Tequilla said:

North end of Seattle ... so most good restaurants for where I live require me going down to the U-District area or to the other side of I-5.
    Every Chick-fil-A in the world is printing cash.

Around us they have increased to a third drivethru line. It’s insane
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 33,118 Standard Supporter
    Idaho restaurants are open but the fast food drive thru lines are long!
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 19,950 Founders Club

Imagine, they could 16.5% higher revenue overnight except they doin' the lawds work on sabbath.
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    edited September 2020
    Tequilla said:

doogie said:

Tequilla said:

North end of Seattle ... so most good restaurants for where I live require me going down to the U-District area or to the other side of I-5.
    then you have to be lumping take out with fast food.

https://canlis.com/

The range from North Seattle is pretty wide
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,161

Used to be the one and only fast food (outside of Dick's) that I enjoyed. I gave it up after the owner declared that white people should wash the feet of black people.
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,280 Founders Club

Goddamned delicious, and they have their shit together.

Used to be the one and only fast food (outside of Dick's) that I enjoyed. I gave it up after the owner declared that white people should wash the feet of black people.
    If you dislike the washing the feet thing, you’re going to hate the turning the other cheek thing
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,357 Founders Club
    Any word on how Popeye's is doing? Axeing for @MikeDamone
    doogie said:

Tequilla said:

doogie said:

Tequilla said:

then you have to be lumping take out with fast food.

https://canlis.com/

The range from North Seattle is pretty wide
    That’s a 20-30 minute drive for me - not close at all
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,410 Founders Club
    Swaye said:

Any word on how Popeye's is doing? Axeing for @PurpleJ