Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

A strong equity lens?

WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 15,025 Standard Supporter
I love the post modern approach to language. Just make up words that seem to convey some sort of solution that ignores the real problem. So, 588 new black software engineers a year but a strong equity lens will solve the problem.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tech-diversity-black-americans-computer-science-155931826.html

While recent conversations around racial equality in the U.S. have been somewhat of a wake-up call for employers to look inward, tech giants face even more scrutiny for lagging behind others on diversity and inclusion even as they wield more power.

Only 1.7% of Facebook’s (FB) technical roles are held by Black employees, according to its own diversity report. At Google (GOOG, GOOGL), which employs some 119,000 workers, a mere 3.7% are Black. Apple (AAPL) hasn’t published a fresh report since 2018, when it disclosed that 6% of its tech jobs went to Black professionals.

So what’s Silicon Valley getting wrong on diversity? “What the tech industry and many large employers have gotten wrong is focusing too much on quarter-to-quarter hiring numbers,” says Michael Ellison, co-founder and CEO of CodePath, a San Francisco-based nonprofit that provides free support, mentorship, and career coaching for computer science college students throughout the U.S.

Instead, Ellison says tech companies need to focus on long-term systemic change that educates a more diverse group of students to enter the tech industry.

“When you look at trying to fill the talent pipeline this quarter, this year, you're ignoring the fact that there are only 7,360 Black computer science graduates in all of 2019 and only 8% of them ended up becoming software engineers. So this means only 588 career-ready Black software developers each year graduating in an industry with 1.4 million software developers,” he explained an interview with Yahoo Finance’s On the Move on Wednesday. “You can't fill a diversity gap with numbers so small.”

‘A strong equity lens’

While Silicon Valley titans have made significant financial commitments and pledges to diversity, there’s something fundamentally broken about the system at large, according to Ellison, whose nonprofit works with 4,500 students, 95% of whom are Black, Latinx, or women.

The Silicon Valley operating system is flawed in two key ways — having too much of a myopic approach, in part by recruiting largely from elite schools, and not valuing true equity, according to Ellison. The idea of eliminating inequity is to take into account the circumstances that may have helped or hurt a candidate and try to level the playing field, he explained.

“When you talk about diversity but you don’t have a lens of ‘Am I working with first-generation college students?’ ‘Am I looking at low-income populations?’ Guess what? You end up going to the same places you always go to — elite schools, you look at students with lots [on their] resumes,” said Ellison.

And if students from more diverse backgrounds do make their way through the door, tech companies often have a hard time retaining them, Ellison explained.

“The students who are the first in are the ones who have the connections. The students who are the last ones in and the first ones out in a pandemic like this are the ones from lower income backgrounds,” he said. “So we need to have that strong equity lens and shift our thinking to go beyond numbers and focus more on long-term sustainable community change with employers.”

Comments

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,495 Founders Club
    The latest NBA head coach hire

• SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,944
    It's all about disparate impact now. Doesn't matter if you can't show any evidence of discrimination in hiring and promotions. If your work force doesn't reflect the racial make-up of society as a whole you're deemed guilty and you have to pay.

Weird how this doesn't apply to any area of the economy where blacks dominate like sports.
    I read a lot of stuff about how Nash was the best qualified and that Steve Kerr didn't have experience either but he did great. And that is all fine. Guess what - I have valid reasons for who I hire too and they have nothing to do with race either
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,526 Founders Club
    It balances out since minorities are 70% of the actors in commercials now.
  • SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,944

My wife likes to watch Law and Order SVU . I can't watch it, but it appears white males are committing most of the crimes in New York.

In response to when blacks were portrayed as mostly pimps and hookers back in the 70s TV has now gone in the other direction and blacks are regularly portrayed in position of influence and authority far beyond the reality.
    Turn on any show and the middle aged apparently nice rich white man in the nice suit is the traitor, child molester, criminal, or murderer for the episode

If it was damaging to the self image of Black children to be marginalized in pop culture and studies say it was, then aren't we raising a generation of self loathing white kids? Wait, I think we actually are
  • NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972

I read a lot of stuff about how Nash was the best qualified and that Steve Kerr didn't have experience either but he did great. And that is all fine. Guess what - I have valid reasons for who I hire too and they have nothing to do with race either

There is zero chance the Nets hired Steve Nash without the absolute approval of Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving. None.
    edited September 2020

Turn on any show and the middle aged apparently nice rich white man in the nice suit is the traitor, child molester, criminal, or murderer for the episode

If it was damaging to the self image of Black children to be marginalized in pop culture and studies say it was, then aren't we raising a generation of self loathing white kids? Wait, I think we actually are

Who didn’t want to be Willis, Dudley, and Arnold in the early 80s?

There is zero chance the Nets hired Steve Nash without the absolute approval of Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving. None.
    And like Kerr he is replacing a Black coach to take over a now loaded line up. Nice work if you can get it

Agree that the players pick the coach.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,526 Founders Club
    SFGbob said:

My wife likes to watch Law and Order SVU . I can't watch it, but it appears white males are committing most of the crimes in New York.

In response to when blacks were portrayed as mostly pimps and hookers back in the 70s TV has now gone in the other direction and blacks are regularly portrayed in position of influence and authority far beyond the reality.
    Hence why I watch little TV that isn't sports, Fam Guy, or a tbs Seinfeld re-run. It's all woke, passive aggressive anti normal white male horseshit
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,397 Swaye's Wigwam

Already did.
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 33,121 Standard Supporter
    More race hustling
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,566 Standard Supporter

No love for Tootie?!?

No love for Tootie?!?

I was 6 years old and don’t remember her other than that private girls school show with the motorcycle chick named Joe.