Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Jon Wilner: Did Pac-12 panic and make wrong decision?

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,922
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
Wrong Call On Football?

Two weeks ago today, the Pac-12 shuttered football for the first time in conference history.

Not much has changed over the fortnight:

The SEC, ACC and Big 12 continue churning forward despite positive tests, practice pauses and campus policy reversals.

At the same time, so much has changed:

The Covid-19 positivity rate is dropping in Arizona; the case counts are plunging in Washington; and the outbreak is receding in California.

Local conditions no longer seem quite so daunting across the Pac-12 footprint.

So we wonder: Did the presidents move too soon?

Absolutely not, and quite possibly yes.

Sorry for the waffling. But with college football as with so many coronavirus matters, the answer is steeped in complexity and nuance.

Earlier this summer, the Hotline outlined the smooth manner in which the Pac-12 conducted business during the pandemic.

Earlier this month, we summarized the reasoning behind the decision to shut down the fall sports season.

And for these past two weeks, we have pondered the timing of the plug pulling.

Our conclusion:

The decision made perfect sense based on all available information at the time of the vote, which came one week before the start of training camp.

In fact, the vote was taken at that time, Aug. 11, precisely because of training camp: The conference needed the medical experts to approve testing and tracing protocols for the start of contact practice.

Instead, they delivered a 12-page report explaining why that was ill-advised.

Our measured critique of the process targets the broader framework:

The decision that led to the regular-season calendar, which set the training camp schedule that required the medical report that convinced the presidents to shut it down when they did.

Why attempt a 10-game season, starting in late September?

That decision seemed aggressive at the time (July 31) based on the Covid-19 conditions across the west and the testing limitations across the country.

As the days passed and training camp drew closer, aggressive became unreasonable.

Had the conference instead crafted a more modest schedule — for example: eight or nine games, starting in the middle of October — then everything would have changed.

It could have started training camp in the middle of September, not the middle of August, which would have given the medical advisors three or four additional weeks to monitor.

Their skepticism that local conditions and testing limitations would remain unchanged into September played a key role in the recommendation and the vote.

But what if they had waited until after Labor Day to take stock of local conditions and testing technology?

What if they had taken another month to gather information on Myocarditis?

Instead of starting at Mile 1 and seeing no realistic path to the marathon’s finish, what if they had started at Mile 13?

Might the end-game have looked different?

Probably not.

But probably isn't the bar -- at least, it shouldn't be the bar.

For its athletes and fans, the conference should have done everything possible to buy as much time as possible.

It should have avoided a vote until it absolutely, positively had to take a vote.

Based on the regular-season and training camp schedules that were announced at the end of July, the vote was, in fact, wholly necessary at the time it took place.

But did the conference box itself in with the calendar?

Would the outlook be any different now, today, at this moment, if the teams were still three weeks from starting training camp?

We can't rule that out.

If you’re going to second guess the decision, that’s not an unfair place to start. — Jon Wilner.

Comments

• Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,062
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I can't help but think the conference made a huge mistake.
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,951
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    They did, but not for the reasons Wilner try’s to rationalize.
  • Options
    AlexisAlexis Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,993
    Swaye's Wigwam

There was never a reward for being first even if the worst had happened. The B1G and PAC 12 overreached and it may create consequences for the next 4-5 years. I strongly believe this is the final blow that will lead to the dissolution of the PAC 12 conference.

I am thinking the same. After a year of no football, how does Wazzu, who is already 90 mil in debt, continue having enough sports programs to be a D-1 program. And I'm guessing OSU can't be that far behind. And I gotta think the Big 12 is putting the full court press on ASU and the So Cali schools. And if I'm SC, why the hell am I staying in this shit conference if the other 3 conferences are playing. And Cal and UW, sports are distasteful and rayciss and not necessary anyway.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,172
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Pacific Coast football has gone through numerous conferences and configurations. And it can again. The Pac 12 may need to be killed to save it. The question becomes do enough fans want college football. When UW won the league in 1963 there were 5 teams.

I agree that the Pac did what the Pac had to do. Not going to lie I am glad the Big Three are giving it a go
  • Options
    SonnyShackelfordSonnyShackelford Member Posts: 916
  • Options
    rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,015
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Emoterman said:
    finally, larry scott gonna have a chance to get HIS GUYS in there.

fuckin finally.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,172
    Swaye's Wigwam

I've beat this drum before. Join the B1G Cohen. Realize that your childhood is over, the Pac 12 is over and bolt for greener pastures. The B1G is a good academic league and you can sell that to upper campus. I have to believe that The B1G would also love to say that they span the country, Ocean to Ocean. We would play football games between 9am and 5pm every Saturday in this case. No more staying up until midnight. Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Nebraskaclassy, Wisconsin. Sign me up. West coast football is dead, quit fucking the corpse and join the living. Do it before Oregon does because they care and have probably already kicked these tires in the last few months.

DoitGIF

Pretty sure the B1G would drop Nebraska like its hot to get some Pacific coast action. Rutgers and Maryland aren't really doing anything either
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I'm honestly at the point where I don't see a path forward for the P12 as it currently stands.

UW (and a few others) need to LEAVE ASAP to allow themselves to be in a discussion to be relevant. If they remain in the P12 and the P12 continues to be irrelevant, then my support of the major programs will progressively drop year after year until it eventually becomes indifference.

Ultimately, the goal of sports is to win. And if you can't win, then what is the point from a money supporting basis?
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,978
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

I'm honestly at the point where I don't see a path forward for the P12 as it currently stands.

UW (and a few others) need to LEAVE ASAP to allow themselves to be in a discussion to be relevant. If they remain in the P12 and the P12 continues to be irrelevant, then my support of the major programs will progressively drop year after year until it eventually becomes indifference.

Ultimately, the goal of sports is to win. And if you can't win, then what is the point from a money supporting basis?

How many P12 programs do you support?