Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

First-Time Gun Buyers Grow To Nearly 5 Million In 2020

GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Standard Supporter
https://www.nssf.org/first-time-gun-buyers-grow-to-nearly-5-million-in-2020/
NEWTOWN, Conn. – NSSF®, the trade association for the firearm industry, updated retail survey-based estimates and concluded that nearly 5 million Americans purchased a firearm for the very first time in 2020. NSSF surveyed firearm retailers which reported that 40 percent of sales were conducted to purchasers who have never previously owned a firearm.

NSSF tracks the background checks associated with the sale of a firearm based on the FBI’s National Instant Background Check System (NICS). NSSF-adjusted NICS checks for January through July 2020 is a record 12.1 million, which is up 71.7 percent from the 7.1 million NSSF-adjusted NICS January through July 2019. This equates to nearly 5 million first-time gun owners in the first seven months of 2020.

5 million newbies sounds a little high to me. Regardless, half that number would still be a big deal.

Comments

• Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,237
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,849
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Trying...it's all sold out and crazy in California.
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

NEWTOWN, Conn. – NSSF®, the trade association for the firearm industry, updated retail survey-based estimates and concluded that nearly 5 million Americans purchased a firearm for the very first time in 2020. NSSF surveyed firearm retailers which reported that 40 percent of sales were conducted to purchasers who have never previously owned a firearm.

NSSF tracks the background checks associated with the sale of a firearm based on the FBI’s National Instant Background Check System (NICS). NSSF-adjusted NICS checks for January through July 2020 is a record 12.1 million, which is up 71.7 percent from the 7.1 million NSSF-adjusted NICS January through July 2019. This equates to nearly 5 million first-time gun owners in the first seven months of 2020.

5 million newbies sounds a little high to me. Regardless, half that number would still be a big deal.
    With so many first time firearm purchasers how has no one conducted a poll/study to see if first time buyers' political views, both broadly and specifically about the 2nd amendment have shifted at all?

Or are a lot of these people that are buying a gun now going to vote for its confiscation in a few months
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,904
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    It seems pretty clear if Biden wins and especially if the dems take the Senate that at best any AR-15 type weapon will be banned along with high capacity magazines. Toss in the dazzler's dream of allowing gun victims to sue manufacturs and retailers and you will have a defacto gun ban in the US. That's why people are buying.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,749
    People have figured out they need to be more self sufficient when 911 says Fuck Off!
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Houhusky said:

With so many first time firearm purchasers how has no one conducted a poll/study to see if first time buyers' political views, both broadly and specifically about the 2nd amendment have shifted at all?

Or are a lot of these people that are buying a gun now going to vote for its confiscation in a few months
    If you could get those interviews, I think you could make some money right now.

My gut feeling is affiliation of first-timmers skews slightly left. Big chunk centrist or apolitical.
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537

It seems pretty clear if Biden wins and especially if the dems take the Senate that at best any AR-15 type weapon will be banned along with high capacity magazines. Toss in the dazzler's dream of allowing gun victims to sue manufacturs and retailers and you will have a defacto gun ban in the US. That's why people are buying.

People are fucking retarded if they think any of the gun confiscation laws are going to grandfather them in.
  • Options

Houhusky said:

My gut feeling is affiliation of first-timmers skews slightly left. Big chunk centrist or apolitical.
    My question would be "will you vote so that you can keep your new firearm"
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,904
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    Sledog said:

Houhusky said:

You would think that if you finally decided you needed a gun, then you wouldn't vote for someone who wants to take it away. But then that actually entails thinking.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Houhusky said:

Also, politically, it would be interesting to know which states the first-tim buyers are coming from.
  • Options

Sledog said:

Houhusky said:

You would think that if you finally decided you needed a gun, then you wouldn't vote for someone who wants to take it away. But then that actually entails thinking.
    If they are to the left they don't think.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Sledog said:

Houhusky said:

Not everyone pays attention to 2A rights.
  • Options

Sledog said:

Houhusky said:

Not everyone pays attention to 2A rights.
    Single issue voter here. No guns=slavery.
  • Options
    BendintheriverBendintheriver Member Posts: 5,305
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Sledog said:

Houhusky said:

Name ONE person in power who can actually take your guns.
    I can name a bunch of people in power who want to take them.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Sledog said:

Houhusky said:

I can name a bunch of people in power who want to take them.

• Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,474
    Founders Club

Sledog said:

Houhusky said:

Please dear little baby Jesus, let Biden, Kamala, Beto, Bernie, AOC, Omar, and Inslee show up at my house to take my guns.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,584
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    It's good because even if they are rabid leftards the moment they see that they are about to become criminals for it they are gonna be like fuck no