Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

To my fishing guysm

1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,302
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
Swaye's Wigwam
Bad enough that the first two hours of the family camping trip at Baker Lake were spent setting up camp in a complete downpour, but in the hour or so that the rain broke on Friday, the kids asked that I take them fishing. So my two kids and the nephew and I head down the trail until we find a suitable place to fish. Before I can even get my kids in the water, my nephew has managed to catch his lure in a tree and is asking for help.

It's in there pretty good, so the only course of action was to break it off. So I aimed the tip of the rod at the snag and pulled straight back as you do, averting eyes to avoid the line snapping back, when I hear the snap of a branch instead, then a size-large Rooster Tail with giant rusty treble hook flies into my shin at 100 mph, sinking two barbs balls deep. It's at this point I notice this kid must have last been fishing for barracuda or something, as there's a steel leader at the end of his 5,000,000 lb. test line. No wonder it didn't just break off...

So I fished with the kids (read: unsnagged them, untangled reels, and donated half my lures to their cause) for about an hour or so until it started pouring again, Rooster Tail dangling out of my shin the whole time, then headed back to camp and tried getting the hooks out. Yanking it out was a non-starter, so I disinfected my camp knife and tried cutting the barbs free. Turns out stabbing your own shin is WAY more painful than I had thought it would be!...

So off to the ER in Sedro Woolley (cool fucking city!°) for lure removal. Never been operated on with side cutters and bull nose pliers before, so that was cool. The doctor said it was his first lure removal but had those tools on hand for when he had to extract taser barbs. After seeing how much cutting into me he had to do to free the barbs, I'm glad I didn't continue trying to do it myself. On the bright side, I stayed dry for three hours while my family continued to be dumped on. Also am now up to date on my tetanus shots...

So what did I miss while I was gone? How many five-stars committed?

Comments

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dflea said:

csb - did you pander your way into some good drugs?

Yeah, barbs because--even with barbs--I drop more than I catch. I'm not a technically gifted fisherman, although I do quite a bit of it.

As for drugs, no. Not even stitches, as he preferred to leave it open and let it drain. Interestingly, it never hurt. Not going in, not dangling there, not even when I tried tugging it out. Only hurt (like a MOTHERFUCKER) when I started stabbing a hot knife into my leg. Doc numbed me for the cuttin', and I was sure I was going to feel those cuts once the lidocaine wore off, but nope. No biggie. Looks like a giant snake bit my leg.

Oh, and I always fish with glasses and always look away when hung up on something.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,892
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I had a buddy who back in college who used to say he had barbless nuts.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,961
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Get this: This afternoon, I'm out in my yard hosing down all my nasty wet camping gear and leaving it out to dry because fuck camping, when a bee decided to sting me right in the soft webbing between two of my toes. The camping/fishing trip that just keeps on giving!

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,613
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

I've had some close calls just like that.. my own gear has bounced off me a few times but i was lucky enough not to get hooked. I watched my friend get stuck by dual, barbed trembles one late, drunken night in a little boat. The steelhead he was trying to bring in jumped into the boat, hit him in the chest, and hung there for a few seconds before dropping and leaving him with a plug stuck to his chest. That was an ER visit.

Change your lures to single hooks. Treble hooks don't hold fish well sans barbs, and mangle the fuck out lof them with barbs. Single hooks may miss a strike or two, but stick way better once in there, with or without barbs. They also have a longer shank than the individual hooks on a treble, which makes it a lot easier to rotate them through skin and cut off the barb when something like this happens.

I hate taking kids fishing. I don't have the patience for it.

I should note that trout lures with tails, like rooster tails and panther Martin spinners, lose some appeal if you switch to single hooks since the tail is attached to the original. I only use those spinners if fishing for brook trout, and don't switch the hooks or clamp the barbs. I never release brook trout so fuck em.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2020
    Rooster Tail just happened to be what the kid had on there. I find that brand of spinner stops spinning and gets shitty a lot faster than others. If I'm spinning, I like the Mepps with the gears on the inside for rattling. 90+% of my fishing is lake trout. I'm at the point where I almost never take off my 1/4 oz. rainbow Kastmaster. I've caught just about every kind of trout and the odd accidental smallmouth bass here and there with that lure. Can throw 'em out a mile, too.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

chuck said:

I've had some close calls just like that.. my own gear has bounced off me a few times but i was lucky enough not to get hooked. I watched my friend get stuck by dual, barbed trembles one late, drunken night in a little boat. The steelhead he was trying to bring in jumped into the boat, hit him in the chest, and hung there for a few seconds before dropping and leaving him with a plug stuck to his chest. That was an ER visit.

Change your lures to single hooks. Treble hooks don't hold fish well sans barbs, and mangle the fuck out lof them with barbs. Single hooks may miss a strike or two, but stick way better once in there, with or without barbs. They also have a longer shank than the individual hooks on a treble, which makes it a lot easier to rotate them through skin and cut off the barb when something like this happens.

I should note that trout lures with tails, like rooster tails and panther Martin spinners, lose some appeal if you switch to single hooks since the tail is attached to the original. I only use those spinners if fishing for brook trout, and don't switch the hooks or clamp the barbs. I never release brook trout so fuck em.
    Those brookies are some over populating little bastards aren’t they?
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,278
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    This is why I fish from a boat in the middle of a lake.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

This is why I fish from a boat in the middle of a lake.

You sound rich.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

chuck said:

We call them river rodents at work. Once there, they're in there forever.

I know of a few lakes where they are abundant enough to usually have good fishing, but the population is controlled enough that they get big. They are the only resident trout that I keep as a rule as theyre the only real tasty ones.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Rooster Tail just happened to be what the kid had on there. I find that brand of spinner stops spinning and gets shitty a lot faster than others. If I'm spinning, I like the Mepps with the gears on the inside for rattling. 90+% of my fishing is lake trout. I'm at the point where I almost never take off my 1/4 oz. rainbow Kastmaster. I've caught just about every kind of trout and the odd accidental smallmouth bass here and there with that lure. Can throw 'em out a mile, too.

I use the same in a variety of colors If I'm not after brookies. I also have a few other spoons..Rebel, Krocodile, and Little Cleo that work. Rainbows and cutts love spoons.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

We call them river rodents at work. Once there, they're in there forever.

I know of a few lakes where they are abundant enough to usually have good fishing, but the population is controlled enough that they get big. They are the only resident trout that I keep as a rule as theyre the only real tasty ones.
    There are some lakes in southern Utah that grow huge brookies. Many 16” plus fish. I think my all time PR for brook trout is like 14”.