Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Nevada to Start Shutting Off Power to Those Who Can’t Pay

NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
It’s only 111 degrees in Las Vegas. Seems like another way to cull the herd.

Comments

• MelloDawgMelloDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,527 Swaye's Wigwam

Texas commercial real estate got tough the last couple weeks. A bunch of eviction notices in our little suburban neighborhood.

The pandemic must be over

Can't be true. There's an extended moratorium on evictions.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,163
    edited August 2020
    MelloDawg said:

Texas commercial real estate got tough the last couple weeks. A bunch of eviction notices in our little suburban neighborhood.

Kind of. Depends on if Trump's order is enforceable, and the federal ban only applies if the mortgage is federally backed. Also, note he said "commercial" real estate. Could also be taking about businesses which have different rules.

Some details for you to discuss with your centrist friends.

MelloDawg said:

Kind of. Depends on if Trump's order is enforceable, and the federal ban only applies if the mortgage is federally backed. Some details for you to discuss with your centrist friends.
    Yes, all of which were my points. Centrist discussions, however, are always fruitful.

MelloDawg said:

MelloDawg said:

Kind of. Depends on if Trump's order is enforceable, and the federal ban only applies if the mortgage is federally backed. Some details for you to discuss with your centrist friends.
    Yes, all of which were my points. Centrist discussions, however, are always fruitful.
    You literally did not know any of the details and make a blanket statement.
    No, it all made and makes sense to me, but does it to the people getting evicted who think they're safe because of the EO?

Democrats may not even need to challenge the EO over the next few months if they can pitch it as toothless.
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    Couple of points.

- Real Estate always goes up in value

- rising property taxes mean you’re making money and can sell any tim you want to “cash in”
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,584 Standard Supporter

What our centrist forgets is that even centrist California is allowing evictions of people who were slated to go before the pandemic. That's the key. Still pretty harsh when the government hasn't allowed them the opportunity to make any money to get back on track.

Just this morning it was reported that So Cal mortgages 60 days late hit a record high

And its only just begun. Maybe the 5 month shutdown was a bad idea after all.

The upside is people in homeless camps don't get the COVID.

doogie said:

Couple of points.

- rising property taxes mean you’re making money and can sell any tim you want to “cash in”

Rising property taxes have nothing to do with the total value of a property. They are assessed on a given property and its value in relation to the total value of all other properties. Property tax amounts collected are determined by levies, etc which are assessed as taxes.

Take Seattle as an example. School levy, housing levy, parks levy, etc. Those are hundreds of millions of dollars that have to be collected regardless of what the total value of property is in the city. The collected amount does not go down if property values decrease. And if your property doesn't decrease as much as other properties in the city, guess what, your property tax bill actually increases.

Why are you even trying to talk like an expert here?

doogie said:

Couple of points.

Rising property taxes have nothing to do with the total value of a property. They are assessed on a given property and its value in relation to the total value of all other properties. Property tax amounts collected are determined by levies, etc which are assessed as taxes.

Take Seattle as an example. School levy, housing levy, parks levy, etc. Those are hundreds of millions of dollars that have to be collected regardless of what the total value of property is in the city. The collected amount does not go down if property values decrease. And if your property doesn't decrease as much as other properties in the city, guess what, your property tax bill actually increases.

Why are you?

doogie said:

Couple of points.

Why are you?

Because I know what I'm talking about. Have had many conversations with the King County Assessor on this subject.
    edited August 2020

doogie said:

Couple of points.

Why are you?

Because I know what I'm talking about. Have had many conversations with the King County Assessor on this subject.
    You purposely (or perhaps ignorantly) omitted the fact that there is a restriction on annual Property Tax increases in the State of Washington and it's not just "well, you're going to get fucked to balance local government budgets if someone else's property value doesn't increase".

So, no - you don't really have a basis for talking like an 'expert'.

doogie said:

Couple of points.

Why are you?

You purposely (or perhaps ignorantly) omitted the fact that there is a restriction on annual Property Tax increases in the State of Washington and it's not just "well, you're going to get fucked to balance local government budgets if someone else's property value doesn't increase".

You're talking about the rate at which property is taxed. That is not the same as the rate at which your property is assessed. That's why your property taxes can go up by 20% in a year. Two different things.

So, please stick to posting up pics of Jewbs and talking in the third person.
    http://mrsc.org/Home/Explore-Topics/Finance/Revenues/The-Property-Tax-in-Washington-State.aspx#:~:text=The Washington State Constitution limits,its true and fair value.&text=The aggregate limit for cities,$5.90 per $1,000 assessed value.

Example #2
    Now suppose our imaginary county had started with two new homes, but that each one was worth only $50,000. The assessed value would still total $100,000 in year 1.

With the same $2.00 levy rate, the levy in the first year would still be $200. But instead of one home paying the entire levy, the two equal-value homes would split the levy equally and pay $100 each. In year 2 the levy would still increase by only 1% to $202. And if the value of both homes together increased to $200,000, the levy rate would still drop to 1.01.

But suppose to get to that $200,000 value, one home tripled in value to $150,000 and the other stayed the same at $50,000. Then their respective tax bills would look like this:

The total levy is still $202, but more of it is borne by the home that increased in value and less of it by the home that did not increase. The total countywide levy increased the maximum 1%, but the tax bill for Home 1 increased by 52% while the tax bill for Home 2 decreased by 50%.

Assessed value only determines a home’s share of the levy. If all home values were to change by the same percentage, then each home’s share of the levy would stay the same and everyone’s taxes would increase by exactly 1%.

doogie said:

Couple of points.

Why are you?

You're talking about the rate at which property is taxed. That is not the same as the rate at which your property is assessed. That's why your property taxes can go up by 20% in a year. Two different things.

Your contention is the county just ups the assessed value to balance local government budget shortfalls?

Or should I walk into the next room and discuss this with Mrs. Throbber v2.0 who is probably one of the top 5 government finance experts in the Northwest - including multiple certifications?

Because it don't work that way, sport.

doogie said:

Couple of points.

Why are you?

Your contention is the county just ups the assessed value to balance local government budget shortfalls?

Or should I walk into the next room and discuss this with Mrs. Throbber v2.0 who is probably one of the top 5 government finance experts in the Northwest - including multiple certifications?

I didn't say gov't just ups assessed values. Your taxes paid are determined by your property's value in relation to the total value of all property. My point to @Doogles is that your property value could go down, and your taxes could still go up. See example I posted. So his statement about "your taxes go up because your property value goes up, so just sell and make money" is complete BS.

doogie said:

Couple of points.

Why are you?

I didn't say gov't just ups assessed values. Your taxes paid are determined by your property's value in relation to the total value of all property. My point to @Doogles is that your property value could go down, and your taxes could still go up. See example I posted. So his statement about "your taxes go up because your property value goes up, so just sell and make money" is complete BS.
    Good- I didn't want to have to bring Mrs. Throbber v2.0 in to kick your ass.