Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

This Day in Music August 11

1942 - Mike Hugg
Mike Hugg, drummer and founding member of the 1960s group Manfred Man who had the 1964 UK & US No.1 single 'Do Wah Diddy Diddy'. He was later a member of Manfred Mann Chapter Three.

1943 - Jim Kale
Jim Kale bassist from Canadian rock band Guess Who who had the 1970 US No.1 & UK No.19 single 'American Woman'.

1949 - Eric Carmen
Eric Carmen, American singer, songwriter, guitarist and keyboardist, who with the The Raspberries had the 1972 US No.5 single 'Go All The Way' and the 1976 solo US No.2 single, 'All By Myself', plus other hits with 'She Did It', 'Hungry Eyes', and 'Make Me Lose Control.

1954 - Joe Jackson
Joe Jackson, UK singer, songwriter, who had the 1980 UK No.5 single 'It's Different For Girls' and 1982 US No.6 and UK No.7 single 'Steppin Out'.

1978 - Chris Kelly
Chris Kelly, Kris Kross, (1992 US No.1 & UK No.2 single 'Jump'. The duo of Chris Smith and Chris Kelly were 12 and 13 when they recorded the song. Kelly died on 1st May 2013 in an Atlanta hospital at the age of 34.

1966 - John Lennon
At a press conference held at The Astor Towers Hotel in Chicago, John Lennon apologised for his remarks that The Beatles were ‘more popular than Jesus'. Lennon told reporters "Look, I wasn’t saying The Beatles are better than God or Jesus, I said ‘Beatles’ because it’s easy for me to talk about The Beatles. I could have said ‘TV’ or ‘Cinema’, ‘Motorcars’ or anything popular and would have got away with it’’.

1979 - Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin played their last ever UK show when they appeared at Knebworth House, England. The set list included: The Song Remains The Same, Celebration Day, Black Dog, Nobody's Fault But Mine, Over The Hills And Far Away, Misty Mountain Hop, Since I've Been Loving You, No Quarter, Hot Dog, The Rain Song, White Summer/Black Mountainside, Kashmir, Trampled Under Foot, Sick Again, Achilles' Last Stand, In The Evening, Stairway To Heaven Rock And Roll, Whole Lotta Love and Communication Breakdown.

1984 - Ray Parker Jr
Ray Parker JR. started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with the theme from the film 'Ghostbusters'. Parker who had been a session guitarist for Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye was accused of plagiarizing the melody from Huey Lewis and the News song 'I Want a New Drug', resulting in Lewis suing Parker, the pair settled out of court in 1985.

1989 - L.L. Cool J
Three members of L.L. Cool J crew were arrested and charged with raping a 15 year-old girl. The incident took place after a concert when the girl had won a backstage pass on a radio contest.

Comments