Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

I'm not sold on Charlie Strong

Comments

• Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited January 2014

According to the metrics Strong has done a good job at LV but nowhere near the kind of job Meyer did at BG & Utah or CP at Boise.

The 15 game thing is fucking stupid. How'd that workout for Willingham at ND? Weiss at ND? Neuheisel at UW? Harbaugh really picked it up in years 3 and 4. Carroll was 8-7 in his first 15 then 56-4 in his next 60. Don James was basically 500 until season 3.

First of all, you've got to stop using coaches that had early success and later failed. No one is saying 15 games and give him a lifetime contract if he wins. It's 15 games win or gtfo.

Harbaugh is a terrible comparison because Stanford was terrible. I don't even think my mom was born when Don James took over at UW so I won't comment on that. And I don't specifically remember expectations when Carroll took over USC. But with the schedule and the talent at UW we have high expectations. It's 15 games because we don't make excuses. Anything less than 12 wins in those first 15 games would be a dissapointment. Anything less than 11 wins would require excuses to be made. We. Don't. Do. That.
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper

Mack Clown (lol!) had a great record. It will be interesting to see if Charlie Strong can match it, if not that will also be interesting.

Texass is at or near the bottom in terms of the elite tier. Jokelahomo, ND, SC, Alabama, and maybe even Nebraska have more NCs. Those of you who are 30 or older probably remember how ordinary they were in the 80s and 90s - Lots of six & five, lots of 4th place finishes in the SWC. The media usually gets carried away in giving them credit for tradition they don't have.

North Dakota is good but they have a long way to go before becoming 'elite tier'
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

According to the metrics Strong has done a good job at LV but nowhere near the kind of job Meyer did at BG & Utah or CP at Boise.

The 15 game thing is fucking stupid. How'd that workout for Willingham at ND? Weiss at ND? Neuheisel at UW? Harbaugh really picked it up in years 3 and 4. Carroll was 8-7 in his first 15 then 56-4 in his next 60. Don James was basically 500 until season 3.

We knew what we had in UWs last 4 coaches after 15 games. And we were right.
    You sure? What did you know about RN? I'm not arguing...just not sure
    I'm sure.
  • Options
    RaccoonHarryRaccoonHarry Member Posts: 2,160
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Look for Strong's offer to be pulled. A couple big Longhorn boosters just found out he's a negro.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,626
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

I'm sure.
    Care to spoon feed? Seriously, I don't know how to evaluate Neuheisal after 15 games. Really never been sure what to say about him after 4 seasons.
  • Options
    To be fair we knew what we had in Gilby and Ty the second both were hired.

As for Sark we knew what he was before 15 games as well.

Given how Rick's career ended up id say 2001-02 best represents RN than 1999-2000 did.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2014
    chuck said:

chuck said:

I'm sure.
    Care to spoon feed? Seriously, I don't know how to evaluate Neuheisal after 15 games. Really never been sure what to say about him after 4 seasons.
    After 15 games neuheisal was 10-5 and had beaten Miami. He beat a decent Oregon team and lost a close game to a good KSU team. No plungers. If you can't judge that he was doing just fine,then even race can't help you.
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,337
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

Look for Strong's offer to be pulled. A couple big Longhorn boosters just found out he's a negro.

Pretty sure the appropriate term is black.
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,337
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    IIRC -- and that's hard because I'm an old bitter "get off my lawn" asshole now -- I was not sad to see Neuheisel leave UW. The last couple years were pretty unremarkable. But then, the fun started.

That was when UW had a realistic chance at Mora (as in, getting on the phone and saying, "Jim please come to UW") and fucked it up.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

chuck said:

I'm sure.
    After 15 games neuheisal was 10-5 and had beaten Miami. He beat a decent Oregon team and lost a close game to a good KSU team. No plungers. If you can't judge that he was doing just fine,then even race can't help you.
    That's one way to look at it. Another way would be that getting worse in seasons 3-4 with a number of embarrassing losses contradicts the 15 game conclusion.

I'm not sure that RN works as an example of the effectiveness of 15 game evaluations.
  • Options
    RaccoonHarryRaccoonHarry Member Posts: 2,160
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    TheHB said:

Pretty sure the appropriate term is black.
    Since when? Shit, I can't keep up...

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

I'm sure.
    That's one way to look at it. Another way would be that getting worse in seasons 3-4 with a number of embarrassing losses contradicts the 15 game conclusion.

I'm not sure that RN works as an example of the effectiveness of 15 game evaluations.
    I'm sure it works.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

I'm sure.

I'm sure it works.
    OK sold me. I'm too wishy-washy. Been working on it. You're kind of a role model.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    From day 1, Gilby and Ty were retreads and Sark had zero experience with a lack of any real accomplishments. We knew none of these guys would ever win a conference championship.

And yes, going 11-4 in the first 15 would be a disappointment. But does that mean we need to get someone else? Fuck no.

Petersen is going to win 10+ next year and year two could see a dip because you lose quite a bit of talent. Years 3-5 is where Petersen will really hit his stride.

With Sark people would expect 10-3 next year so I think 11-2 is a reasonable high expectation. Petersen is a proven championship coach who is going to be here for a long time. He's going to be successful over a long period of time whether he starts out 12-3 or 10-5.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

From day 1, Gilby and Ty were retreads and Sark had zero experience with a lack of any real accomplishments. We knew none of these guys would ever win a conference championship.

And yes, going 11-4 in the first 15 would be a disappointment. But does that mean we need to get someone else? Fuck no.

Petersen is going to win 10+ next year and year two could see a dip because you lose quite a bit of talent. Years 3-5 is where Petersen will really hit his stride.

With Sark people would expect 10-3 next year so I think 11-2 is a reasonable high expectation. Petersen is a proven championship coach who is going to be here for a long time. He's going to be successful over a long period of time whether he starts out 12-3 or 10-5.

Hard to expect 10-3 when you're guaranteed to lose 4 conference games.
  • Options
    Hard to expect 10-3 after 0-12 you mean DNC.....
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Hard to expect 10-3 after 0-12 you mean DNC.....

truth

• Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited January 2014
  • Options
    LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,118
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Fwiw, just got an email from UT athletics announcing Strong
  • Options
    Dick_BDick_B Member Posts: 1,301
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Testing 1
    Meek said:

What about spring ball? Can we take our kids to watch?

My kids would like their picture taken with the back-up the the 4th string punter while he's flashing the dubs up.