Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

When Does Refinancing Your Mortgage Make Sense?

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,983
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern

Comments

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,902
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    pawz said:

Cliffs (using round numbers):

Only refi if getting 1+% discount off current interest rate.

If your interest rate goes from 4.5 to 3%, the savings is 1.5% per year.

On a 100k mortgage you should save $1500 per year on your finance charges.

You closing costs to refi should not exceed 3x the nominal yearly savings. 1500 x 3 = 4500.

In other words, you should break even on the cost to refi, with the interest rate savings, in 3 years or less.

Don't refi to change the 'term' of the loan (time to repay), that is a principle equation.

I love Dave Ramsey. If DR's finance strategy were an Aesop fable - the tortoise and the hare - he's optimized the strategy of the tortoise. The majority of Americans, who generally have limited financial acumen, should heed his advice.

I'm a fucking hare.

Ramsey says 25 percent of take home pay or less on housing. We were able to do that in Seattle only cause we bought in 2014. Not possible for most folks now.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,237
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    pawz said:

You closing costs to refi should not exceed 3x the nominal yearly savings. 1500 x 3 = 4500.

In other words, you should break even on the cost to refi, with the interest rate savings, in 3 years or less.

Don't refi to change the 'term' of the loan (time to repay), that is a principle equation.

I love Dave Ramsey. If DR's finance strategy were an Aesop fable - the tortoise and the hare - he's optimized the strategy of the tortoise. The majority of Americans, who generally have limited financial acumen, should heed his advice.

I'm a fucking hare.

Economis is a good major for more than just the career.
  • Options
    Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,912
    Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Founders Club
    pawz said:

I'm a fucking hare.

They bait you with the monthly payment thing, lots of dumb people fall for it. The monthly payment is probably resetting back to a 30 year mortgage when the loan you are refinancing has only 20 years left on it.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

pawz said:

I'm a fucking hare.

Ramsey says 25 percent of take home pay or less on housing. We were able to do that in Seattle only cause we bought in 2014. Not possible for most folks now.
    Median income in KC is around $95k right now. After taxes, figure $80k. With Ramsey's math he is saying that total mortgage costs should not exceed $1,666 per month. Even with 20% down - not doable for most people - that buys you a $375k house. In KC, $375k buys you - as of today on Redfin - a 1300 sq ft shit box in Federal Way on a mediocre lot.

I think he has great advice on getting out of debt and saving, but some of his stuff around cars and houses is based upon life in the 1950's.
    I think that's a fair point. There is a bit of a lack of 'nothing risked, nothing gained" in his advice. So agreed. I've made a nice bit of money on Seattle real estate. At times, the moves were debatable in that I was leaving security and taking on incremental risk. It's always paid off.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Bob_C said:

pawz said:

I'm a fucking hare.

They bait you with the monthly payment thing, lots of dumb people fall for it. The monthly payment is probably resetting back to a 30 year mortgage when the loan you are refinancing has only 20 years left on it.
    I ingore the capitalization. You can always re-fi or pay it off. Lower cap. means higher payments. To do that, I always insisted on really getting paid. I can have a 30 year cap table and double up on my monthly payments, effectively making it a 15-year pay off, which is what I did for years.

But one day the 15-year SO out bid the 30-year that it was compelling enough for me ... so compelling, in fact, that the difference in payments was minimal, and of course, I was immediately cutting into principal at a migh higher rate.

I shop for the best rate, period, because that is the real cost of mortgage financing. The term of the loan is something you can manage over time, and all else being equal, I'll take max flexibility. I accounted for things that didn't happen, like being unemployed, etc.

My house has been paid off for close to 8 years, so IDGAF about this anymore. But that's how I always shopped it.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,583
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

pawz said:

I'm a fucking hare.

Median income in KC is around $95k right now. After taxes, figure $80k. With Ramsey's math he is saying that total mortgage costs should not exceed $1,666 per month. Even with 20% down - not doable for most people - that buys you a $375k house. In KC, $375k buys you - as of today on Redfin - a 1300 sq ft shit box in Federal Way on a mediocre lot.

I think he has great advice on getting out of debt and saving, but some of his stuff around cars and houses is based upon life in the 1950's.
    He's a boomer meme