Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

TSIO/CFBIO Death Watch Open Thread

Comments

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,702
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Baseman said:

Maybe I’m a heartless wench, but I don’t think these smaller programs should survive this. Their economic model is unsustainable and they’ve been propped up the money they make from playing bigger schools for too long.

Plus, anything that gets the P5 teams to start playing meaningful OOC games again is a good thing.

Your probably more right than wrong, but I still don't like it. I fear it will have a negative roll-downward effect on the sport.
    I have mixed feelings about it too. Right or wrong athletic scholarships provide opportunities for many to attend college, for example. The football teams also provide entertainment and economic benefits to the small college towns, like Cheney.

But like their Power 5 counterparts, these smaller schools’ ADs have gotten too bloated. Time to dial it back.
    College football in general is too bloated. Gameday at Husky Stadium at Alaska Airlines Field or whatever it's called feels more like going to a Seahawks game than a college game.
    Gilby. Ty. The Zone. Piped in music and social media all killed Husky Football
    These are the symptoms
  • BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

Baseman said:

Maybe I’m a heartless wench, but I don’t think these smaller programs should survive this. Their economic model is unsustainable and they’ve been propped up the money they make from playing bigger schools for too long.

Plus, anything that gets the P5 teams to start playing meaningful OOC games again is a good thing.

Your probably more right than wrong, but I still don't like it. I fear it will have a negative roll-downward effect on the sport.
    I have mixed feelings about it too. Right or wrong athletic scholarships provide opportunities for many to attend college, for example. The football teams also provide entertainment and economic benefits to the small college towns, like Cheney.

But like their Power 5 counterparts, these smaller schools’ ADs have gotten too bloated. Time to dial it back.
    College football in general is too bloated. Gameday at Husky Stadium at Alaska Airlines Field or whatever it's called feels more like going to a Seahawks game than a college game.
    Gilby. Ty. The Zone. Piped in music and social media all killed Husky Football
    And 8 pm games. And Thursday and Friday games. And a coach and players who couldn't manage to be thrilled to play in the Rose Bowl. And moving students to the end zone. And the sustainability awards during time outs. And now the SJWs get to finish it off.

It’s been almost 20 years since we won a NY6
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,460
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Alabama vs. LSU 10 game home and home series to seed them 1 and 2 for the official championship game at Mercedes HotLanta Krunchy Bucket Stadium.

Cook it!
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,702
    Founders Club

Power 5 AD texted: “You and your colleagues are chasing the wrong story. The virus alone is enough to stop the season. But presidents are terrified of players organizing. It’s the paradigm shift to change amateur sports.”

“You potentially lose one season with the virus. You lose the entire framework of your mission statement with players organizing. They need time to figure out how to attack it.”

Jen Cohen is on record saying she wants to support those players anyway she can. You could say that's just her playing the game, but she shouldn't have given the appearance of appeasement.
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,460
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2020
    Sirmon needs this season to survive Sam in 2021.

Lawrence is the #1 overall pick no matter what.

The rubber is meeting the road. Either it's the plague or it isn't.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    2-3 months ago I would have been saying how no CFB season would risk ending CFB as we know it because of how it destroys Athletic Departments

Now no season is inevitable for all the prior reasons + there’s no way in a short time horizon that conferences are going to agree to player demands ... cancelling the season will only make players dig in even further.

I honestly am not sure if college sports as a whole survive at this point ... it’s going to get way worse before it gets better.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Tequilla said:

2-3 months ago I would have been saying how no CFB season would risk ending CFB as we know it because of how it destroys Athletic Departments

Now no season is inevitable for all the prior reasons + there’s no way in a short time horizon that conferences are going to agree to player demands ... cancelling the season will only make players dig in even further.

I honestly am not sure if college sports as a whole survive at this point ... it’s going to get way worse before it gets better.

I didn't see the inevitable as fast as @MikeDamone & @MisterEm , I thought the money was too much as well.

Fuck it, they're doing it to themselves. Whatever.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I’m still not convinced the NFL can pull it off as is ... but I never saw CFB in the Fall

The angle I didn’t see was the players trying to hold the NCAA over the barrel with the leverage they have ... impressive actually