Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

The Day in Music August 8

8 Aug 1960
16-year old Brian Hyland went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini' it made No.8 in the UK. Also a UK No.1 for Bombalurina featuring TV presenter Timmy Mallett in 1990.

8 Aug 1966
In response to John Lennon's remark about The Beatles being bigger than Jesus, The South African Broadcasting Corporation banned all Beatles records. Also on this day The Beatles LP Revolver was released in the US, the bands seventh album featured: ‘Taxman’, ‘Eleanor Rigby’, ‘I'm Only Sleeping’, ‘Here, There and Everywhere’, ‘She Said She Said’, ‘And Your Bird Can Sing’ and ‘Tomorrow Never Knows’. It spent 77 weeks on the Billboard chart peaking at No.1.

8 Aug 1986
David Crosby of Crosby, Stills and Nash was released from prison after serving three years for drug and weapons possession. His conviction would be overturned by a Texas appeals court in November 1987.

8 Aug 1987
U2 scored their second US No.1 single from their Joshua Tree album with 'I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For'. The song received two nominations for the 30th Grammy Awards in 1988, for Record of the Year and Song of the Year.

8 Aug 1988
American hip hop group N.W.A released Straight Outta Compton on Ruthless Records. The album redefined the direction of hip hop and in 2017, it was selected for preservation in the National Recording Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or artistically significant."

8 Aug 1992
Snap! started a six-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Rhythm Is A Dancer' the dance group's second and last No.1 was also a Top 5 US hit.

8 Aug 2017
American singer, guitarist, songwriter, television host, and actor Glen Campbell died in Nashville, Tennessee at the age of 81. He became a patient at an Alzheimer's long-term care and treatment facility in 2014. Campbell released more than 70 studio albums and sold 45 million records worldwide. His hits include: 'By the Time I Get to Phoenix', 'Wichita Lineman', 'Galveston' and 'Rhinestone Cowboy'. His guitar playing can be heard on ‘Strangers in the Night’ by Frank Sinatra, ‘You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'‘ by The Righteous Brothers and ‘I'm a Believer’ by The Monkees.

8 Aug 1933
Joe Tex, US soul singer, (1965 US No.5 single 'Hold On To What You've Got', 1977 UK No.2 single 'Ain't Gonna Bump No More With No Big Fat Woman'). Tex died on 12th August 1982 aged 49.

8 Aug 1942
John David, drummer with American rock band Dr Hook who had the 1970s hits 'The Cover of Rolling Stone', 'A Little Bit More', 'When You're in Love with a Beautiful Woman' and 'Sylvia's Mother'.

8 Aug 1950
Born on this day American rock drummer Liberty DeVitto, best known for his work as a drummer for Billy Joel's recording and touring band as well as Carly Simon, Phoebe Snow, Karen Carpenter, Stevie Nicks, Rick Wakeman, Bob James and Meat Loaf.

8 Aug 1958
Christopher Foreman, guitarist from English ska band Madness. They have had 15 singles reach the UK top ten, hits include 'One Step Beyond', 'Baggy Trousers', 'Our House' and 'It Must Be Love'.

8 Aug 1959
Rikki Rockett, drummer from American rock band Poison who scored the 1988 US No.1 & 1989 UK No.13 single 'Every Rose Has Its Thorn' and have sold over 45 million records worldwide.

8 Aug 1961
The Edge (Dave Evans), guitarist, singer, songwriter with U2. They signed with Island Records and released their debut album, Boy in 1980. Their 1987 worldwide No.1 album The Joshua Tree spent 156 weeks on the UK chart. Their U2 360° Tour of 2009–2011 is the highest-attended and highest-grossing concert tour in history.

8 Aug 1973
Scott Stapp, singer, songwriter, from American rock band Creed, who had the 2001 US No.1 & UK No.13 single 'With Arms Wide Open' and the 2002 US No.1 album, Weathered. Stapp has released solo albums as well as being a member of Art of Anarchy.

8 Aug 1981
Vanessa Joy Amorosi, Australian singer, 2009 Australian No.1 single ‘This Is Who I Am?’.