Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Georgia Schools

Comments

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    PS, the kids will almost certainly be just fine. Among the first dozen cases in Washington was a kid at Jackson High School, about that size. Mild illness, no cordwood, during a time of zero mitigation measures.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    incremetal_progressincremetal_progress Member Posts: 358
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

PS, the kids will almost certainly be just fine. Among the first dozen cases in Washington was a kid at Jackson High School, about that size. Mild illness, no cordwood, during a time of zero mitigation measures.

according to the second guy there's already 4 positives (at least): 2 staff 2 students.

The positivity rate in Georgia is approx. 13%, we don't have any data on what kind of spread can happen with schools open when community spread is this high. Because it's never been done before.
  • Options
    LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,115
    Founders Club
    Stockholm sweden.

The only way community transmission wasn’t above 13% is that they refused to test anyone who wasn’t admitted in a hospital.

Schools never closed ~everyone survived.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Stockholm sweden.

The only way community transmission wasn’t above 13% is that they refused to test anyone who wasn’t admitted in a hospital.

^^ Nordic education guy
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam

according to the second guy there's already 4 positives (at least): 2 staff 2 students.

The positivity rate in Georgia is approx. 13%, we don't have any data on what kind of spread can happen with schools open when community spread is this high. Because it's never been done before.
    Sources say?
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,879
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter

Stockholm sweden.

Students are basically bullet proof. No schools were shut down for the H1N1 outbreak which did kill young people. So, the teacher's feel free to go shop at the grocery store but not to go to school and have a desk 12 feet from any kid? I agree, make the teacher's go to their class room and conduct their video conferencing classes from there. Make them show up for their 8 hours.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,257
    Swaye's Wigwam
    In hindsight we? should have left pro sports operating in March and through the summer

Its the lab that shows no stacked bodies like cord wood and most that test positive had no idea they had it. Would have been a nice counter action to the panic spreaders
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/2020/08/09/nine-people-test-positive-coronavirus-georgia-school-where-photos-packed-hallways-went-viral/

already shutting the school down for 2 days to disinfect after 9 positive cases (as of now). Already talks of a shift to virtual learning.

Stunning.
  • Options
    NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/2020/08/09/nine-people-test-positive-coronavirus-georgia-school-where-photos-packed-hallways-went-viral/

already shutting the school down for 2 days to disinfect after 9 positive cases (as of now). Already talks of a shift to virtual learning.

Stunning.

“Cases”

Are they hospitalized, dipshit?
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,485
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

20th century formal education must end.

It's the main silver lining of covid. The bullshit education industry is screwing themselves hard.

I feel pretty strongly about this. Whoever comes up with a better plan will do well.

Online learning is not a real answer. School is important for more than learning 2+2. Socializing with others is also necessary for kids. I have several friends who all said that their kids were doing worse with online learning. One is moving his family to Mexico to go to an international school this coming year.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Stunning.

Yeah, they probably aren’t going back Wednesday.

Interesting nuance in the AJC source article that WaPo left out.

Angie Franks said both her nephews who attend the school have tested positive for COVID-19. One came home from school Monday unable to smell, she said in an interview with The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. His mother took him for testing and got results the next day that showed he had been infected with the coronavirus, Franks said. By then, his brother was exhibiting symptoms and was also tested. His positive results were returned Wednesday.

The students are quarantining at home, but both went to North Paulding High on the first day of school last Monday. Franks said the boys’ father notified the school on Tuesday and Wednesday after getting their test results.

• Options

It's the main silver lining of covid. The bullshit education industry is screwing themselves hard.

I feel pretty strongly about this. Whoever comes up with a better plan will do well.

Online learning is not a real answer. School is important for more than learning 2+2. Socializing with others is also necessary for kids. I have several friends who all said that their kids were doing worse with online learning. One is moving his family to Mexico to go to an international school this coming year.
    online learning is not a real answer, I agree.

If in person learning is going to succeed, it's not gonna include hallways full of kids without masks.
  • Options
    NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited August 2020

If in person learning is going to succeed, it's not gonna include hallways full of kids without masks.
    Why not? Even Fauci says we? should expect a 50% effective vaccine. That still leaves a lot of disease spreading around.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,583
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

It's mostly college that's the joke. High school can be done better as well.
  • Options

Why not? Even Fauci says we? should expect a 50% effective vaccine. That still leaves a lot of disease spreading around.
    if it's not a problem why is this obviously republican county considering closing it's doors?

Who are you trying to argue against here?