Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Your feel good story of the day

WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,697
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
Standard Supporter

https://news.yahoo.com/governor-cuomo-begs-wealthy-yorkers-150935434.html

Governor Cuomo begs wealthy New Yorkers to come home to save ailing city

The governor of New York has begged the city’s wealthy, who fled the coronavirus outbreak, to return and help it recover.

Andrew Cuomo said he was extremely worried about New York City weathering the Covid-19 aftermath if too many of the well-heeled taxpayers who fled to second homes decide there is no need to move back.

“They are in their Hamptons homes, or Hudson Valley or Connecticut. I talk to them literally every day. I say. ‘When are you coming back? I’ll buy you a drink. I’ll cook,’ “ Mr Cuomo told MSNBC, naming popular getaways for the rich.

“They’re not coming back right now. And you know what else they’re thinking, if I stay there, they pay a lower income tax because they don’t pay the New York City surcharge. So, that would be a bad place if we had to go there.”

Lawmakers have proposed a wealth tax targeting the city's 100 billionaires to help fill a $30 billion (£23bn) budget shortfall created by the Covid-19 crisis.

However, Mr Cuomo, a Democrat, said he could not support greater taxes on the ultra-wealthy as rich people already have one foot out of New York City and he fears they will leave for good if their taxes go up.

Instead, he wants the federal government and New York's congressional representatives to send billions of dollars in aid.

“A single per cent of New York’s population pays half of the state’s taxes,” he said, “and they’re the most mobile people on the globe.”

Rather than temporarily riding out the storm, New York City residents - many of whom are able to work from home - appear to be settling down. Enrollment has spiked at Hamptons schools, while city restaurants have followed their customers out to the Long Island shores.

Retailers say the city is now the worst place to do business in the country, blaming its strict months-long lockdown and exodus of its wealthiest residents.

Andrew Cuomo says he was "appalled" by videos showing crowds standing close together at a recent concert in the Hamptons - AP

They report foot traffic at Manhattan stores is down 85 per cent from a year ago. Nearly 3,000 small businesses in New York City have closed for good in the past four months.

Broadway theatres - normally a big draw for tourists - announced they will remain closed until at least January 2021.

“We expected New York City to be like the rest of the country when we reopened our stores here, but it’s a complete outlier,” said Lawrence Berger, chairman of sports cap company Lids, which has a flagship in Times Square. “There is no way to make money. It’s not an economically viable situation."

Comments

• doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    So Kumo wants New Yorkers to rush back home just to stand in Bill DeBlasio’s screening line to get back in?
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,680
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2020
    Ignored is the second gut punch of a couple of months of wanton lawlessness downtown after the Vid lockdowns. Does Fredo come back from the Hamptons?

Swaye's Wigwam
    They report foot traffic at Manhattan stores is down 85 per cent from a year ago. Nearly 3,000 small businesses in New York City have closed for good in the past four months.

Combined with all the folks Cuomo killed we have a nice replacement for Biden since people don't care about the economy
  • theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,555
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I can't wait for Cuomo to cave and open shit back up. When you stay inside the virus can't spread. When you try to act normal, even with masks on, cases spike. It's the script. But, but, but, he did it right! Asshat.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

I can't wait for Cuomo to cave and open shit back up. When you stay inside the virus can't spread. When you try to act normal, even with masks on, cases spike. It's the script. But, but, but, he did it right! Asshat.

What’s the current grim stats among grocery workers?
  • theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,555
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Haven't seen a case in my store in three months? My friends in Lynnwood still have not had one. Thats about 130 front line workers and not a single case in three months. Washington is on the precipice of disaster.
    Swaye's Wigwam

Haven't seen a case in my store in three months? My friends in Lynnwood still have not had one. Thats about 130 front line workers and not a single case in three months. Washington is on the precipice of disaster.

• PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,649
    Like we say, Andrew, fuck off
  • WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,697
    Standard Supporter
    edited August 2020
    Yeah, 3 months of shopping at Fred Meyer's without a mask and I know no one in our neighborhood who has had the chicom crud. Now, I sort of wear a mask. Go to a restaurant wearing a mask for about 20 seconds, grab a seat and then take it off - because science.
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,463

Yeah, 3 month of shopping at Fred Meyer's without a mask and I know no one in our neighborhood who has had the chicom crud. Now, I sort of wear a mask. Go to a restaurant wearing a mask for about 20 seconds, grab a seat and then take it off - because science.

Dumbest thing ever.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,510
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    because of science I stop drinking at 10PM
  • BendintheriverBendintheriver Member Posts: 5,252
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Cuomo won't open up until after the election.
  • SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,919
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    LebamDawg said:

because of science I stop drinking at 10PM

10PM? Fucking slacker.
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333

https://news.yahoo.com/governor-cuomo-begs-wealthy-yorkers-150935434.html

Governor Cuomo begs wealthy New Yorkers to come home to save ailing city

The governor of New York has begged the city’s wealthy, who fled the coronavirus outbreak, to return and help it recover.

Andrew Cuomo said he was extremely worried about New York City weathering the Covid-19 aftermath if too many of the well-heeled taxpayers who fled to second homes decide there is no need to move back.

“They are in their Hamptons homes, or Hudson Valley or Connecticut. I talk to them literally every day. I say. ‘When are you coming back? I’ll buy you a drink. I’ll cook,’ “ Mr Cuomo told MSNBC, naming popular getaways for the rich.

“They’re not coming back right now. And you know what else they’re thinking, if I stay there, they pay a lower income tax because they don’t pay the New York City surcharge. So, that would be a bad place if we had to go there.”

Lawmakers have proposed a wealth tax targeting the city's 100 billionaires to help fill a $30 billion (£23bn) budget shortfall created by the Covid-19 crisis.

However, Mr Cuomo, a Democrat, said he could not support greater taxes on the ultra-wealthy as rich people already have one foot out of New York City and he fears they will leave for good if their taxes go up.

Instead, he wants the federal government and New York's congressional representatives to send billions of dollars in aid.

“A single per cent of New York’s population pays half of the state’s taxes,” he said, “and they’re the most mobile people on the globe.”

Rather than temporarily riding out the storm, New York City residents - many of whom are able to work from home - appear to be settling down. Enrollment has spiked at Hamptons schools, while city restaurants have followed their customers out to the Long Island shores.

Retailers say the city is now the worst place to do business in the country, blaming its strict months-long lockdown and exodus of its wealthiest residents.

Wood.
  • WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,697
    Standard Supporter
    Geezus. Everyone of these ladies is now dead of the chicom crud. You born in a funeral home? Get a life.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,649

Geezus. Everyone of these ladies is now dead of the chicom crud. You born in a funeral home? Get a life.

@NecrophiliaDawg, true?