Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Gold and Silver

FreepukaFreepuka Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern
I’m a total noob but a friend told me I should throw 10% of my portfolio into actual gold and silver as insurance.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,922
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,180
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    What's the rest of your portfolio look like? How averse to risk are you? What is your portfolio goal? How liquid do you want to be? Gold or gold etf's?

Lots to unpack.
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,951
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    edited August 2020

What's the rest of your portfolio look like? How averse to risk are you? What is your portfolio goal? How liquid do you want to be? Gold or gold etf's?

Lots to unpack.

This, but Gold right now isn't a bad investment. Everything is going up because of money printing...I'm betting Gold will hit $3,000 by the end of 2021. But same thing driving that will drive lots of other things higher as well.

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,169
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,778

Lots to unpack.

This, but Gold right now isn't a bad investment. Everything is going up because of money printing...I'm betting Gold will hit $3,000 by the end of 2021. But same thing driving that will drive lots of other things higher as well.

It's not going to take that long.

Stay the fuck away from oil.

• Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,277
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited August 2020
    I have bought a little silver over the last few years. I always recommend getting the physical stuff, rather than going with the stock/certificate route. I think up to 100 physical ounces is fine, then after that I'd switch to gold. But I definitely would not make this my only route. In my opinion, gold and silver should not be an investment driver, it should be looked as more of a diversification tool and a fail safe if the economy tanks. Gold and Silver will always have some value, other investments can go to zero.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Yeah try nugt lol triple levered gold etf
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,951
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes

No.

Real estate is where it's at

Real estate blows in Texas...lots of land and it’s the primary method of taxation here on the local and state level. But I agree it’s going to appreciate the same way...all hard assets will.
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,513
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    FireCohen said:

Yeah try nugt lol triple levered gold etf

Jnug life
  • Options
    Founders Club

Lots to unpack.

I have about $131k in various retirements, $20k in brokerage accounts, $9k in crypto, and $100k in the bank. I’m 33.

I would be fine with ETF’s but my friend who may or may not be a little anxious about the market says 10% in physical gold and/or silver.
  • Options
    Founders Club

No.

Residential or commercial? I’m a loan officer so I agree to a certain point. Residential real estate is just expensive and the ROI on rentals is too minimal right now unless you get a smoking deal.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,277
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited August 2020
    Freepuka said:

No.

Residential or commercial? I’m a loan officer so I agree to a certain point. Residential real estate is just expensive and the ROI on rentals is too minimal right now unless you get a smoking deal.
    The changing landlord laws make residential real estate investment less and less appealing. All it takes is one bad tenant, to ruin everything you have worked hard for.
  • Options
    WoofWoof Member Posts: 769
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Freepuka said:

Lots to unpack.

I have about $131k in various retirements, $20k in brokerage accounts, $9k in crypto, and $100k in the bank. I’m 33.

I would be fine with ETF’s but my friend who may or may not be a little anxious about the market says 10% in physical gold and/or silver.
    Why do you have that much cash in the bank? Keep only 3-6 months of expenses in short-term liquid reserves. If you're that worried about volatility, buy treasuries or muni bonds and at least make a couple %. I would just dump it in a market index if it were me.

Gold is fine, but I'm a little more skeptical than others around here on its potential.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,755
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

No.

No. With unemployment insurance ending and 28M people immanently out on the street, the landlords won't be gettin their scratch either. All of it's going back to the banks. Then to the courthouse steps. Then to he retail market.

For perspective, 8M were kicked out in the street in '08.

We?re so fucked.
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072

Lots to unpack.

Paper isn’t Gold
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,472
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

My broker suggests more like 100% into silver and gold.

HOF post.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    So the consensus is there’s no consensus. I’ve never considered it until recently but I want some alternative to diversify.

The American dollar is so fucked. There will be hyperinflation. The Fed will keep printing money. Shit, they can’t print is as fast as they are promising to spend it at this point.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,755
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Lots to unpack.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/markets/gold-rising-to-dollar4000-an-ounce-would-not-be-an-unreasonable-move-fund-manager-says/ar-BB17EoXa