Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

2nd Annual Brandon Kaho Commemorative Collegiate Career Impact Forecast - Results

Comments

• TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Woof said:

Recruiter rankings in GPA format
    Note: I screwed up the wording, so I take responsibility for a few of the screwy scores.

Bhonapha - 1.37 I can see him being pretty happy with this score given the effort. I'd argue maybe he deserves more like a C- given his two recruits, but I understand the hate.
    Adams - 3.65 Had 2 of the top 4 recruits and the guy who finished 2nd in underrated. Great score, dragged down by 2 Ds.
    Huff - 3.80 Magna cum laude for Huff with this class.
    Malloe - 1.33 Almost beat Bonerpopper and didn't recruit anyone. I guess he had an assist on Smalls...
    Kwiatkowski - 2.71 Solid score for Coach K, but I would argue it should be higher because he got Smalls. Could be low because of my wording.
    Gregory - 0.43 End his tenure already
    Harris - 1.12 On academic probation, and it doesn't look good...
    Lake - 2.45 Much like the rest of the Lake tenure so far

The doogliest grader was @CallMeBigErn with an average score of 3.96 and the biggest negadawg was @ttj with an average of 2.39. Highest correlation with overall results was @Sarkingham and the lowest correlation was @79smoothdawg

Lastly, 53% believe JTT will sign with UW and 65% believe that Egbuka will sign with UW.

I hope you enjoyed this year's edition. Happy to provide additional information if you want it.

Free pub!
  • DoogWhispererDoogWhisperer Member Posts: 1,017
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Lots of dooging in this joint
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Woof said:

Let the critiquing begin!

First!
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,875
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Tequilla said:

I think people are really sleeping on Sunday ... I think Adams is going to be a massive bust

I have a hard time with Adams because he didn’t get many carries at EC. Production isn’t everything and sometimes you have to dig deeper, but an athlete that is supposedly as good as he is should be putting up major production at EC.

The positives with Adams are that he has good size, can catch the call, and his bloodlines. The lack of production makes me hesitant. About the only good explanation would be if Adams Sr insisted that his son was not a featured back because he didn’t want him taking a ton of hits before reaching college. That’s probably doogish tho.

If he ran for 1,500 yards and 20 TD’s, I could see preferring him over Sunday. Sunday dominated tho and while it doesn’t always translate, dominating in high school is normally the precursor for dominating in college. Same for college to the pros. I say it all the time and have always fought back against the opinion that high school doesn’t matter.

I would say it’s especially true at QB and RB. The legit college prospects at those positions are getting the ball and they should be doing good things. A legitimate college ILB should have a lot of tackles in high school ball. WR is somewhat similar, but a run based offense or a bad QB can hamper those numbers. On the other side, a WR that plays for a team that throws it 50 times per game is going to put up huge numbers and that is where production can be questioned.
    Yeah, a common mantra from a few years ago was "stats in high school don't mean shit." That certainly is true from one angle as there are many kids who tear it up in high school that just don't have the body or speed to ever be a D1 athlete. There's also varying levels of competition.

With last years class and particularly the 2021 class, however, we have to look at it from the other angle of kids who weren't impressive in high school but are seen as college prospects based on their size, speed, etc. From the 2020 class, you have James Smith and Sam Adams who were essentially high-school bench-warmers at the positions they are slotted to play in college. In both cases, my guess is they were early bloomers who were expected to continue to develop but hit a wall and other guys on their high school teams passed them up.

For next year, its slightly different as you have guys who have barely played any high school football in Heims, Wyrsch, and Finau but are projected to contribute in college based on size and speed.

I don't have a ton of hope for Smith and Adams (at RB) just because I don't think a kid who struggles to see the field in high school is going to suddenly take the next step in college. With the 2021 guys, I think a few could emerge but it won't be for a few years.
  • CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,856
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

Woof said:

Baseman said:

Woof said:

Recruiter rankings in GPA format
    Note: I screwed up the wording, so I take responsibility for a few of the screwy scores.

Bhonapha - 1.37 I can see him being pretty happy with this score given the effort. I'd argue maybe he deserves more like a C- given his two recruits, but I understand the hate.
    Adams - 3.65 Had 2 of the top 4 recruits and the guy who finished 2nd in underrated. Great score, dragged down by 2 Ds.
    Huff - 3.80 Magna cum laude for Huff with this class.
    Malloe - 1.33 Almost beat Bonerpopper and didn't recruit anyone. I guess he had an assist on Smalls...
    Kwiatkowski - 2.71 Solid score for Coach K, but I would argue it should be higher because he got Smalls. Could be low because of my wording.
    Gregory - 0.43 End his tenure already
    Harris - 1.12 On academic probation, and it doesn't look good...
    Lake - 2.45 Much like the rest of the Lake tenure so far

The doogliest grader was @CallMeBigErn with an average score of 3.96 and the biggest negadawg was @ttj with an average of 2.39. Highest correlation with overall results was @Sarkingham and the lowest correlation was @79smoothdawg

Lastly, 53% believe JTT will sign with UW and 65% believe that Egbuka will sign with UW.

I hope you enjoyed this year's edition. Happy to provide additional information if you want it.

How about the individual poster rating for each player?
    Let the critiquing begin!

I think I over valued Hatchett (5) and Peacock (4) by 1 point each. Regardless, I'm tied for 3rd highest grade average. I think that makes me a Doog.
    Welcome.
  • HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Does someone have a link to the last two survey results so we can reflect on how dumb other posters were in their predictions for the last two years?
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Houhusky said:

Does someone have a link to the last two survey results so we can reflect on how dumb other posters were in their predictions for the last two years?

I only want to know how dumb I am and whether it is increasing or flat lined.
  • HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,951
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    If Adams moves to safety I change my vote to a 4.
  • NoWarningJustDawgNoWarningJustDawg Member Posts: 1,000
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Hmm, lower scores, but then this survey is much later in the year than '19.

If the kids have shown up then this checks out - that's when it's ok for us to start hating them.
    As is tradition.
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Lots of dooging in this joint

Care to specify? Who was overrated and why?

I won't hold my breath.
  • TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,550
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

If Adams moves to safety I change my vote to a 4.

i gave my 4* vote for Adams based on the athletic ability that I think shows up somewhere on the field.. I'm guessing safety as well.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

I think people are really sleeping on Sunday ... I think Adams is going to be a massive bust

I have a hard time with Adams because he didn’t get many carries at EC. Production isn’t everything and sometimes you have to dig deeper, but an athlete that is supposedly as good as he is should be putting up major production at EC.

The positives with Adams are that he has good size, can catch the call, and his bloodlines. The lack of production makes me hesitant. About the only good explanation would be if Adams Sr insisted that his son was not a featured back because he didn’t want him taking a ton of hits before reaching college. That’s probably doogish tho.

If he ran for 1,500 yards and 20 TD’s, I could see preferring him over Sunday. Sunday dominated tho and while it doesn’t always translate, dominating in high school is normally the precursor for dominating in college. Same for college to the pros. I say it all the time and have always fought back against the opinion that high school doesn’t matter.

I would say it’s especially true at QB and RB. The legit college prospects at those positions are getting the ball and they should be doing good things. A legitimate college ILB should have a lot of tackles in high school ball. WR is somewhat similar, but a run based offense or a bad QB can hamper those numbers. On the other side, a WR that plays for a team that throws it 50 times per game is going to put up huge numbers and that is where production can be questioned.
    I'm not as big on you about high school production but there is a part of it where it does matter. You can be as toolsy as you want to be but it has to translate to production at some point. It's something you see in the NFL Draft all the time about guys that are great underwear Olympic performers but don't have a ton of production. That's where watching games has value as it gives the context.

My thing with Adams is that he strikes me as someone that can be elite defensively. He wants to be a RB because that's where the name glory is. But he doesn't strike me as someone that is going to hold up well to the constant physical pounding (that's why I'm assuming he didn't run a ton in HS as he always seemed to have nagging injuries).

With QBs, something I want to see how a young QB is is does he have some moxie to him ... what kind of leadership instincts are in place? Do his teammates seem to rally around him?
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,379
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Kids wanting to play RB makes no sense to me. Shorter career than playing DB and you get paid less.
  • JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,055
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Bump

Prove me wrong Smalls
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,702
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Woof said:

Thank you to the 51 of you who completed the survey. Less dooging from last year, with an average ranking of 3.29, down from 3.63 for the 2019 class. The results are as follows in reverse rank order:

#23 Mason West with a score of 1.88 – Nobody seemed to like this guy except for @79smoothdawg who gave him a 4. 17 people gave him a 1. His ceiling seems to be Jacob Keizer without back problems.

#22 James Smith with a score of 2.10 – Ditto above, but 16 people gave him a 3 and only got 11 1s.

#21 Jaden Green with a score of 2.27 – Feels about right given his position, but he will be starting on day 1. Received 4 4s and 8 1s.

#20 Cooper McDonald with a score of 2.31 – Not much love for Cooper, but @Swaye and @KrunkJuice both gave him a 4.

#19 Triston Brown with a score of 2.45 – Beat out 3 field players, so I guess that's good. Also likely to start day 1, which is probably why he got 5 4s vs. only 4 1s.

#18 Samuel Peacock with a score of 2.57 – Scores all across the board, including 4s from @CallMeBigErn and @CFetters_Nacho_Lover and a 5 from @whlinder

#17 Elijah Jackson with a score of 2.71 – Again all across the board, including 1s from @Neighbor2972 @Baseman @Beno4Life and a 5 from @DawgsCanDance

#16 Carson Bruener with a score of 2.82 – Much tighter spread, with 14 2s, 32 3s, and 5 4s. Everyone seems to think he will be pretty solid, but not great.

#15 Jay'veon Sunday with a score of 2.84 – Barely beat Bruener for the spot. No 5s, but got 1s from @KrunkJuice and @EastCoastDoog

#14 Ethan Garbers with a score of 2.88 – Highest standard deviation of any player. 1s from @ttj @PawgDawg @PostGameOrangeSlices and @KrunkJuice while @guntlove gave him a 5. I rated him a 2 because I doubt he wins the QB job, but I actually think he's a good player. I suspect most everyone with lower scores is of a similar mindset.

#13 Sam Adams with a score of 3.02 – Pretty average for Adams here. @joeEDangerously and @ttj both gave him 1s.

#12 Sawyer Racanelli with a score of 3.37 – Big jump in scores here for Racanelli. Received 2s from 5 people and a 5 from @CallMeBigErn who must be a fellow Hockinson alum.

#11 Makell Esteen with a score of 3.41 – Almost all 3s and 4s for Esteen who had a good showing. Just 2s from @Houhusky @Ice_Holmvik and @picalogestabo and 5s from @Mad_Son and @CallMeBigErn

#10 Geirean Hatchett with a score of 3.57 – Another pretty big jump in the scoring here for Hatchett. 2s from myself and @Neighbor2972 but he also got 5s from @Quietcowskee @Doogles and @CFetters_Nacho_Lover

#9 Jacobe Covington with a score of 3.63 – A good score for Covington, who received 30 4s and 14 3s, with a few outlier 2s and 5s. He's the highest rated member of the secondary.

#8 Jack Yary with a score of 3.76 – Not 100% locked in for the class, which might be why he got 5 2s, but also received 8 5s. Kaho-ing him from USC in July is a power move by Cato if it comes to fruition.

#7 Sav'ell Smalls with a score of 4.08 – A bit of a shocker that Smalls is 7th in this class, but his score denotes a 1st team all Pac-12 type player on my personal rating scale. He missed out on the tie for 5th place because @joeEDangerously gave him a 2 for some reason.

#5 TIE Gaard Memmelaar and Roger Rosengarten with a score of 4.12 – Huff with 3 of the top 6 players shows how great of a class he pulled in. They each received the exact same number of scores. 7 3s, 32 4s, and 12 5s apiece.

#4 Rome Odunze with a score of 4.14 – With respect, Odunze is going to be a monster. Nobody screwed this up, which is good.

#3 Mark Redman with a score of 4.27 – Lots of love for Redman. 3s from @Neighbor2972 and @79smoothdawg were his lowest scores.

#1 TIE Jalen McMillan and Myles Murao with a score of 4.67 – Crown jewels of the class and the highest scores in the 2 year history of this. Jalen's lowest score was a 4, but @DeepDawg must have been high on something when he gave Murao a 3.

First player to leave:
    Jay'veon Sunday – 21%
    Sam Adams – 21%
    Ethan Garbers – 13%
    James Smith – 13%
    Mason West - 11%
    Jack Yary - 11%
    Other receiving votes - Smalls, Odunze, Covington

Most overrated:
    Sav'ell Smalls – 48%
    Sam Adams – 18%
    Ethan Garbers – 15%
    Geirean Hatchett – 8%
    Mason West - 11%
    Jack Yary - 11%
    Other receiving votes - McDonald, Smith, McMillan, and Green - @CallMeBigErn how can a long snapper be overrated?

Most underrated:
    Gaard Memmelaar – 29%
    Sawyer Racanelli – 17%
    Mark Redman – 13%
    Rome Odunze – 10%
    Jay'veon Sunday - 10%
    Other receiving votes - Esteen, Bruener, Jackson, Murao, Covington

At least 6 of the 23 in this class are already gone.