Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Teachers Are Too Afraid To Go Back To Work, Not Too Afraid To Protest

Comments

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,422 Founders Club
    edited July 2020

When I was at UW, the WTO protests were happening. My classmates asked if they could skip a presentation to join the marches. My professor, who up until this point I didn’t really hold in high regard, said this in reply:

“You can, but you will receive a zero for the presentation. Taking part in political protests is your right, but you must also deal with the consequences.”

My jaw dropped in shock. Needless to say from that day forward I saw her in a much more positive light.

I doubt you’ll hear many educators say something similar anymore.

Today they'd get fired and have a brick thrown through their living room window
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,357 Founders Club

When I was at UW, the WTO protests were happening. My classmates asked if they could skip a presentation to join the marches. My professor, who up until this point I didn’t really hold in high regard, said this in reply:

“You can, but you will receive a zero for the presentation. Taking part in political protests is your right, but you must also deal with the consequences.”

My jaw dropped in shock. Needless to say from that day forward I saw her in a much more positive light.

I doubt you’ll hear many educators say something similar anymore.

Today they'd get fired and have a brick thrown through their living room window before having their housed burned down and then be banned from ever holding another job again