Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Tesla

13»

Comments

• Options
    SourcesSources Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,807
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

RoadTrip said:

Baseman said:

RoadTrip said:

89ute said:

89ute said:

Sources said:

FireCohen said:

Who else is making products like them??

Nio, Workhorse, Nikola, etc.
    https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g36278968/best-selling-evs-of-2021/

Your google must not be working.

No one holds a candle to Tesla.

The #1 selling EV is Tesla model Y. 76,426 sold so far in 2021. Add up all the others on the list of top 12 not named Tesla you get 64,841.

Add up all the Teslas on the list you get 139,297.

Tesla is double all other EVs combined.

You're looking at the future dominant car manufacturer in the world. And yeah, they aren't even a car company.
    Look forward, not backwards. Tesla does not have anything close to the manufacturing capacity required to become the #1 car producer. GM, Ford, Mercedes, BMW, Toyota...the list goes on and on...all are rolling out massive EV lineups over the next three model years. Tesla has no chance of competing over the long-run as anything more than a brand equivalent to Volvo.
    Yes, look forward, not backwards. Your giving Elon "three model years" of more runway to continues to outpace Legacy while Legacy sits idle. Within a few months Telsa will go from 1 to 4 production plants. How many more EV plants will Tesla have in three model years?

I don't see Legacy "crushing" Tesla, I just don't. I don't see Legacy building a better EV either, especially over the next 3-5 years, no way.
    Ford builds more trucks in a year than Tesla can produce across all of its models. They are still tiny in the overall industry.

Have you sat in a Tesla before? Maybe you own one...the build quality is pretty lousy (as noted by experts, not my opinion) and the interiors are cheap and spartan (spartan by design, but most people will not accept that). Also, is anyone noticing that the Model S has not been re-designed for 12+ years? They can't get away with that forever. Model 3 is already four years old and still looks exactly the same.

I think Tesla builds a cool product and has carved out a loyal following. They aren't going away, but I have serious doubts that they'll ever be on par with Ford or GM. Ford is already selling the Mach-E and has the Lightning F-150 releasing in a few months (who in their right mind would buy a Cybertruck over that?). Jeep has its 4xE models which are apparently doing well. GM has the Bolt and will have its entire fleet electrified in the coming years, starting with the new Hummer lineup.
    I've owned the model S for 6 years and it's the best car I've ever owned and it's not close. I've owned BMW, Audi, Infinity, Ford, VW and Acura. I've never had a mechanical issue, am still on the original brakes and I have 230,000 miles on it. The reason I bought it is obvious and I took advantage of massive federal and state incentives as well as lifetime free charging. Did I mention it's fun as fuck to drive?
    So you bought six years ago. When will you buy again? Musk needs your revenue, sooner than later before the environmental credits expire.
    I'll wait another 2-3 years and pick up a used Plaid version with something like 30K miles on it. But if Audi, Porche or another manufacturer puts something out that's better, I'll look at that too. If you haven't driven a performance, electric vehicle, you're in for a shock at how quick/fast they are. It feels like taking off on the best roller coaster you've ever been on.
    Most are too compact for me. They are fast, but at well over 6 ft, they are not practical for me right now.
    The model S is a boat. Definitely not a small car. 3s are smaller, but are as large as an average sedan.
  • Options
    SourcesSources Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,807
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    RoadTrip said:

Baseman said:

RoadTrip said:

89ute said:

89ute said:

Sources said:

FireCohen said:

The #1 selling EV is Tesla model Y. 76,426 sold so far in 2021. Add up all the others on the list of top 12 not named Tesla you get 64,841.

You're looking at the future dominant car manufacturer in the world. And yeah, they aren't even a car company.
    Look forward, not backwards. Tesla does not have anything close to the manufacturing capacity required to become the #1 car producer. GM, Ford, Mercedes, BMW, Toyota...the list goes on and on...all are rolling out massive EV lineups over the next three model years. Tesla has no chance of competing over the long-run as anything more than a brand equivalent to Volvo.
    Yes, look forward, not backwards. Your giving Elon "three model years" of more runway to continues to outpace Legacy while Legacy sits idle. Within a few months Telsa will go from 1 to 4 production plants. How many more EV plants will Tesla have in three model years?

I don't see Legacy "crushing" Tesla, I just don't. I don't see Legacy building a better EV either, especially over the next 3-5 years, no way.
    Ford builds more trucks in a year than Tesla can produce across all of its models. They are still tiny in the overall industry.

Have you sat in a Tesla before? Maybe you own one...the build quality is pretty lousy (as noted by experts, not my opinion) and the interiors are cheap and spartan (spartan by design, but most people will not accept that). Also, is anyone noticing that the Model S has not been re-designed for 12+ years? They can't get away with that forever. Model 3 is already four years old and still looks exactly the same.

I think Tesla builds a cool product and has carved out a loyal following. They aren't going away, but I have serious doubts that they'll ever be on par with Ford or GM. Ford is already selling the Mach-E and has the Lightning F-150 releasing in a few months (who in their right mind would buy a Cybertruck over that?). Jeep has its 4xE models which are apparently doing well. GM has the Bolt and will have its entire fleet electrified in the coming years, starting with the new Hummer lineup.
    I've owned the model S for 6 years and it's the best car I've ever owned and it's not close. I've owned BMW, Audi, Infinity, Ford, VW and Acura. I've never had a mechanical issue, am still on the original brakes and I have 230,000 miles on it. The reason I bought it is obvious and I took advantage of massive federal and state incentives as well as lifetime free charging. Did I mention it's fun as fuck to drive?
    So you bought six years ago. When will you buy again? Musk needs your revenue, sooner than later before the environmental credits expire.
    I'll wait another 2-3 years and pick up a used Plaid version with something like 30K miles on it. But if Audi, Porche or another manufacturer puts something out that's better, I'll look at that too. If you haven't driven a performance, electric vehicle, you're in for a shock at how quick/fast they are. It feels like taking off on the best roller coaster you've ever been on.
    Full torque from rest makes a huge difference. It's the main reason electric cars are destroying record times on tracks.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,518
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Sources said:

RoadTrip said:

Baseman said:

RoadTrip said:

89ute said:

89ute said:

Sources said:

FireCohen said:

Full torque from rest makes a huge difference. It's the main reason electric cars are destroying record times on tracks.
    In a straight line, and a handful of times before the battery is too low to make it home. The tech is impressive for daily driving, but if you're a gearhead who wants a weekend fun car they are still totally useless. Same with heavy-duty use and towing for trucks. The Ford Lightning will mostly be a mobile generator for folks who buy it.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,310
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Sources said:

RoadTrip said:

Baseman said:

RoadTrip said:

89ute said:

89ute said:

Sources said:

FireCohen said:

I'm a huge electric fan, but that's not at all the main reason lap records are being crushed by electrics. The main reason--and I assume we're talking about the ID.R here--is that the car that Volkswagen's using for this PR stunt was designed from the ground up to set a single fast lap. It's faster around a circuit than an F1 car because it has no rules to follow. The thing pulls well over 3 Gs in corners!

All that being said, an ICE car can be designed to do these things as well, but there's an inflection point in the graph of required distance vs. power:weight below which the motor and battery are unbeatable. An electric motor and battery pack are smaller (better for balance and aero), lighter, and better able to be packaged if the pack can be kept small. Over a single lap, this is an unbeatable combo. Start increasing the race distance, and the weight and space occupied by extra fuel starts to be dwarfed by the weight and space taken up by the required battery pack.

A great illustration of this is the difference between Formula 1 and Formula E. Formula 1 has better acceleration, better speed, better aero, and goes a bit more distance (quite a bit more in a one-stop strategy) between refueling. Could a Formula E car be built that has better acceleration than F1 to take advantage of that torque? Sure, as can be seen with the ID.R. Ditto top speed, downforce, etc. Do any of these, though, and that battery will drain even faster. Over any kind or realistic race distance, ICE/hybrid is still crushing BEV. Battery development should (will?) change that calculus in the future, though.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,375
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,230
    Founders Club

Sources said:

RoadTrip said:

Baseman said:

RoadTrip said:

89ute said:

89ute said:

Sources said:

FireCohen said:

In a straight line, and a handful of times before the battery is too low to make it home. The tech is impressive for daily driving, but if you're a gearhead who wants a weekend fun car they are still totally useless. Same with heavy-duty use and towing for trucks. The Ford Lightning will mostly be a mobile generator for folks who buy it.
    Disagree, Plaid will give you 500 miles on a single charge and it's a race car with amazing performance. The battery is heavy and low to the ground. I can take corners at extremely high speeds better than I could with anybother car I've ever owned.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    RoadTrip said:

Sources said:

RoadTrip said:

Baseman said:

RoadTrip said:

89ute said:

89ute said:

Sources said:

FireCohen said:

Disagree, Plaid will give you 500 miles on a single charge and it's a race car with amazing performance. The battery is heavy and low to the ground. I can take corners at extremely high speeds better than I could with anybother car I've ever owned.
    My point was that you can only go wide open throttle a limited number of times before the battery is depleted quite a bit. Gas powered engines still have a massive advantage there as was mentioned earlier by someone comparing Formula 1 to Formula E. Model S Plaid carries .9 g's on the skidpad. Nothing special about that. It's a big car that weighs a lot so I guess within that context .9 g's is pretty decent.
  • Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,230
    Founders Club

RoadTrip said:

Sources said:

RoadTrip said:

Baseman said:

RoadTrip said:

89ute said:

89ute said:

Sources said:

FireCohen said:

My point was that you can only go wide open throttle a limited number of times before the battery is depleted quite a bit. Gas powered engines still have a massive advantage there as was mentioned earlier by someone comparing Formula 1 to Formula E. Model S Plaid carries .9 g's on the skidpad. Nothing special about that. It's a big car that weighs a lot so I guess within that context .9 g's is pretty decent.
    I don't know what you're talking about. I go wide open several times a day driving up and down I-5. My battery has only lost about 20% from day 1 and I have well over 200,000 miles and the car is almost 6 years old. The battery degradation is extremely low. I have free super charging for the life of the vehicle so I'm holding onto it for a long time.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    RoadTrip said:

RoadTrip said:

Sources said:

RoadTrip said:

Baseman said:

RoadTrip said:

89ute said:

89ute said:

Sources said:

FireCohen said:

I don't know what you're talking about. I go wide open several times a day driving up and down I-5. My battery has only lost about 20% from day 1 and I have well over 200,000 miles and the car is almost 6 years old. The battery degradation is extremely low. I have free super charging for the life of the vehicle so I'm holding onto it for a long time.
    Plaid Model S is good for 390 miles, btw. Lucid Air just certified at 520 miles and pre-production is testing as being faster than the Tesla. There are always going to be faster versions, longer range, etc.

20% battery degradation off of, say 350 miles of range is still a loss of 70 miles. That's pretty significant. Doing a few pulls on I-5 is quite different from going drag racing or taking a spirited drive away from traffic. Your range will drop quite a bit, eg 25% or more on that charge. Also, those mileage ratings are at 60 mph. Drive 75 and you have less range, too.

My point is that you have a great car for daily driving. Electric tech is still a ways off for heavy-duty uses, and the costs to get the level of performance/range that people want is unaffordable to most all people at this time. Incidentally, I ran across a Tesla Model 3 Performance a few weeks back and pulled a few cars on it from 20 to 80 (2020 Camaro SS). Those start in the high-$50's. I paid $38,500 before TTL for my car.

Buy what you like. Electric cars are the future, no doubt.
  • Options
    89ute89ute Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,453
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    @Baseman

How about an update on your TSLA puts.