Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Basketball recruiting competition.

PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
This morning's Seattle Times contains a story about Washington's new basketball recruits/signees. I could hardly believe my eyes when I read the list of other schools they were considering.

"(Jahmel) Taylor declined offers from Fresno State, Long Beach State and UC Santa Barbara."

"(Mike) Anderson also drew interest from South Florida, West Virginia, San Francisco, Middle Tennessee State and Southern Mississippi."

Wow...beating out such perennial powers for these players surely means that we're headed to the final four!!!!

Comments

• Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,862
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    You think these guys can get UW that far in the NIT? Put down the purple colored glasses.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,979
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    the bloom is fading from the Romar rose
  • Options

the bloom is fading from the Romar rose

uhh...yah.

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,301
    Swaye's Wigwam
    How many of you have ever recruited to a major school before? I didn't think so. RIP brents
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I think UW might be a tournament team provided Wilcox returns. I guess it depends on how good some of the newcomers are (not the ones listed). If this season is another bust though, Romar should feel some pressure.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,979
    Founders Club

I think UW might be a tournament team provided Wilcox returns. I guess it depends on how good some of the newcomers are (not the ones listed). If this season is another bust though, Romar should feel some pressure.

The problem with the culture surrounding UW is that he doesn't feel pressure right now.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Its silly to think that Romar is even close to being close to a hot seat. His kids go to class.
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    If there's a player type that Romar has had success with it's lightly recruited, undersized guards. I don't have any real worries about Taylor's offer list. If Wilcox stays I think he'll redshirt and be a very good player for UW down the road.

The JUCO guy, who knows. I'm surprised to see he drew interest from WV, honestly.
  • Options
    I'm beginning to think that Romar lucked out with the team that enabled him to make his mark. How did he luck out? He got a bunch of tenacious street fighters - something he didn't expect. Will Conroy, Nate Robinson, Bobby Jones, Tre Simmons and Brandon Roy had more fight and more character than gentle Lorenzo could've ever expected.

Those guys had character and determination that we haven't seen in UW athletics in...years.
  • Options
    ACSlaterDawgACSlaterDawg Member Posts: 200
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes Photogenic
    Passion said:

I'm beginning to think that Romar lucked out with the team that enabled him to make his mark. How did he luck out? He got a bunch of tenacious street fighters - something he didn't expect. Will Conroy, Nate Robinson, Bobby Jones, Tre Simmons and Brandon Roy had more fight and more character than gentle Lorenzo could've ever expected.

Those guys had character and determination that we haven't seen in UW athletics in...years.

Those guys were all Bob Bender recruits too, except maybe Bobby Jones.

Romar lucked out that there was a huge boom in Seattle high school bball talent at the start of his tenure.
  • Options

Passion said:

Romar lucked out that there was a huge boom in Seattle high school bball talent at the start of his tenure.
    Roy and Conroy were the only Bender recruits, and Bender didn't even give Conroy a scholarship.

Nate was a Neuheisel recruit. Tre and Bobby were Romar recruits.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Passion said:

Roy and Conroy were the only Bender recruits, and Bender didn't even give Conroy a scholarship.

Nate was a soft Neuheisel recruit. Tre and Bobby were Romar recruits.

Fixed
  • Options

Passion said:

Nate was a soft Neuheisel recruit. Tre and Bobby were Romar recruits.

Fixed
    qft