Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Washington State School Reopening Option Prioritizes ‘Students of Color’

DJDuckDJDuck Member Posts: 5,970
edited July 2020 in Tug Tavern
Washington State School Reopening Option Prioritizes ‘Students of Color’

“The state of Washington’s school district planning guide for reopening public schools gives an example of a possible “phased-in opening” in which “students furthest from educational justice,” would be given priority to have face-to-face instruction, a category that includes “students of color.”

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/07/07/washington-state-school-reopening-option-prioritizes-students-of-color/

OSPI’S 2020–21 COMMITMENT

The Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) is following a process to evaluate and prioritize our supports and expectations for school districts as a parallel exercise to the work school districts have engaged in this spring to narrow and focus educational delivery. The following is an articulation of our commitments for 2020–21, and we expect districts will make these priorities in their work.

1. SupportStudentsFurthestfromEducationalJustice

The impacts of fear, hatred, and systemic and structural racism within institutions cannot be ignored, and they yield tragic outcomes. Washington’s public education system must engage in anti-racist capacity building, leadership, and resource allocation. Dismantling systemically racist structures will make progress on inclusivity and will better serve students of color, students with disabilities, students who are English learners, students who are migratory, students experiencing homelessness, students in foster care, students experiencing intergenerational poverty, and students who identify as LGBTQ+.
The work of Washington public schools is to prepare students for postsecondary pathways, careers, and civic engagement. Washington must create the conditions for each student to be educated in racially literate, culturally sustaining, positive, and predictable environments that intentionally prioritize the instruction and development of social-emotional skills, and mental health in addition to our primary focus on academic content.

Comments

• thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 5,997
    Now THAT’s racist.

And targeted at kids. Nice.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,595 Standard Supporter
    edited July 2020
    Grade and achievement equalization comes next.

Sports teams with predominantly persons of color given accommodations for the struggle. Inner city schools at or above certain race percentages only need to gain 7 yards for a first down.

Predominantly white schools will play with an 8 second shot clock and only allowed 2 personal fouls per individual.

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    I was born too fucking early.

At this rate my kid might have a shot to make the HS basketball team.

#JusticeForAll
  • theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,799 Founders Club
    I will dress my 8 and 5 year old daughters as boys and refer to them as "Q" if it will get them back into school. I don't fucking care. They lost 30% of last year and they are talking about 2 out of 5 days in person this year. Thats just under a year of teaching being done by a guy who bags groceries for a living.
  • NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    So the mostly white liberal eduction leadership in WA is saying that people of color need more schooling than white kids?

Holding those views is the first real example of systemic racism I’ve seen. Funny thing is the white liberals don’t even realize it.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,542 Founders Club

I will dress my 8 and 5 year old daughters as boys and refer to them as "Q" if it will get them back into school. I don't fucking care. They lost 30% of last year and they are talking about 2 out of 5 days in person this year. Thats just under a year of teaching being done by a guy who bags groceries for a living.

And you probably do a better job
  • theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,799 Founders Club

And you probably do a better job
    I appreciate that, but no. A third party on a neutral site is the way to go. Learning from dad in the kitchen is a looser proposition. It's a mute point really.

• PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,500 Swaye's Wigwam
    All 5 of them?
  • WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 15,042 Standard Supporter
    The left celebrated the shutdown because they think it hurt Trump. Lot's of short term thinkers out there.

https://pjmedia.com/instapundit/

K-12 IMPLOSION UPDATE: Back to School? “No Thanks” Say Millions of New Homeschooling Parents. “According to a recent USA Today/Ipsos poll, 60 percent of parents surveyed said they will likely choose at-home learning this fall rather than send their children to school even if the schools reopen for in-person learning.”

All is proceeding as I have foreseen, only with a big boost from Covid-19.