Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Did Sark over use Polk and Sankey

NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
edited January 2014 in Hardcore Husky Board

Did Sark over use Polk and Sankey 14 votes

Sark went away from his multiple running back style he talked about and used at USC and these guys had too many carries
57%
CFetters_Nacho_LovertopdawgncHoustonHuskyMrsMoradncfivehundredmileDAWGNeGgaPlEaSe[Deleted User] 8 votes
We have no other talented running backs
42%
HouhuskyLevelParGlobal[Deleted User]AtomicDawgThe_Undertaker 6 votes

Comments

• NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    Sark went away from his multiple running back style he talked about and used at USC and these guys had too many carries
    Polk and Sankey would have stayed another year if Sark used other backs and each had 10-15 carries a game
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,046 Standard Supporter
    Use me while you got em. Cooper and Callie injuries influenced this. Running backs that stay for senior years are not bright.
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    If I had Sankey, why would I use anybody else? Now are we getting so wussified that we can't give our backs 30 carries a game?
  • MrsMoraMrsMora Member Posts: 60
    Though I will say Sankey's Sophomore year he really had no other choice with Callier and Cooper being injured. Erich Wilson was not so good...
  • NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    edited January 2014
    Not wussified, just poor roster management, IMHO. Like not getting the back up snaps through the game. Who knows what beno would have rushed for without Jay Barry, and Nip without Neal. Don't get me wrong, that fucktard was faced to abandon his shit offense pass to set up run, based on Polk and Sankey.
  • PriceToBamaPriceToBama Member Posts: 44

Not wussified, just poor roster management, IMHO. Like not getting the back up snaps through the game. Who knows what beno would have rushed for without Jay Barry, and Nip without Neal. Don't get me wrong, that fucktard was faced to abandon his shit offense pass to set up run, based on Polk and Sankey.

Who knows what Jay Barry would have rushed for without Beno?
  • Homebrew_DawgHomebrew_Dawg Member Posts: 1,650

Not wussified, just poor roster management, IMHO. Like not getting the back up snaps through the game

Player development and roster depth were never a priority for Sark. Sankey wasn't even on the radar until Callier got injured. Shitty coaching. Sankey was probably going to NFL draft whether or not Sark stayed. Anyway, very small price for program if Sark leaving was a contributing factor to Sankey's decision.

• GlobalGlobal Member Posts: 333
    Sark was never consistent. There were weird games where Sark was so in love with his bubble screen that he did not use Polk or Sankey. I can't think of any games where I think he over-used either of them, but he rarely gave them a rest. The only season I can think that he used a back-up well was when Callier was Polk's back-up. That was a good combo a lot of the time, with Callier doing a lot of fly sweeps.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,993 Founders Club
    Look at 2009 vs UCLA as example #1 of Sark's retarded use of Polk.

Polk was gashing the UCLA D in the first half and gets only 5 or so carries in the second. After the game, Sark says something along the lines that he lost track of how many carries Polk had.

2010 vs ASU is another prime example. Sark keeps throwing the ball with Jack Lockner despite Polk averaging around 4.5 ypc, no runs that resulted in lost yardage and only 1-3 carries for no gain.

It wasn't so much that Sark overused Polk and Sankey but that he misused them and often times chose fucktarded plays over utilizing his 2 best players.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Polk and Sankey were always at the top of the conference rushing statistics, but the team was always middle of the pack in rushing. Sark probably used Polk and Sankey the right amount (at least as far as total carries are concerned), but he should have given another 5-8 carries to the backups per game.
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,549 Founders Club
    This pole is fucktarded. The majority of you half brain fucks bitch about how Sark never ran the damn ball with Polk and Sankey, and now you are going to put up a poll asking if he used them too much?

Fuck you, Fuck me, blah blah blah.
  • I think he overused them in the meaningless blow outs and underused them in games that actually mattered.

He never tried to develop a backup RB either.
  • sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    I'm detecting the 'overuse' ragging to mean Sankey wouldn't be leaving early if he hadn't been so successful, which is pussy talk
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133

I think he overused them in the meaningless blow outs and underused them in games that actually mattered.

He never tried to develop a backup RB either.

Good point more_cock, you're right
  • TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389

It was never about RB durability during Sark's five seasons at UW. Polk and Sankey were abused in a football sense more so than over-used. I believe the number of carries would not have been so much a factor in shortening Sankey's college career had Sark focused the desperately needed attention as a coach and recruiter on developing a solid Husky style offensive line. With a good OL, Bishop may have been as close to a Heisman as we've had.

Sankey has incredible vision and skill at finding the slightest openings or creases in the line and as often as not make the quick moves to avoid defenders and get up field for good yardage. His offensive line frequently helped Bishop make long runs of ten or more yards, but did not help him as much as they should have on gaining the tough yardage. When Sankey wasn't advancing the ball four or more yards, he was getting hammered before hardly getting started because Sark's OL units each year were at best average to mediocre.

Both Sankey and Polk were physical runners and could deliver a blow as well as take one. But neither had Cory Dillon bodies and thus the number of carries combined with run blocking that should have been much better has meant that Sankey's decision to leave amateur football now is solid. As a great football coach once said: "Running backs are a dime a dozen" meaning that their careers by design are short.