Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Your favorite monument / memorial on the National Mall?

2»

Comments

• Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,472
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Never been, but my favorite monument at the Alderwood Mall is the food court map.
  • Options
    spudenspuden Member Posts: 353
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    FDR
    This is my wheelhouse. Lived in DC for 14 years now. Still go down and walk around the monuments during off-peak/season tourist hours.

Lincoln and Washington are biggest and most iconic, but my favorite is FDR because it’s off the beaten path and tranquil. Never a million tourists there like the others. You can walk through it without fighting throngs of jackasses posing for stupid pictures. You can see the progression of the United States in murals from the Depression through WW2.

I also like Vietnam even though it gets crowded, it never seems touristy. It’s a somber place and you can feel the nation’s heartache.

WW2 is cool, but doesn’t have the same power and feeling as Vietnam. It’s also not as powerful as Lincoln.

Korean, like the war itself, is kind of forgotten among the other monuments. Not worth the time.

• Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Lincoln
    spuden said:

This is my wheelhouse. Lived in DC for 14 years now. Still go down and walk around the monuments during off-peak/season tourist hours.

Lincoln and Washington are biggest and most iconic, but my favorite is FDR because it’s off the beaten path and tranquil. Never a million tourists there like the others. You can walk through it without fighting throngs of jackasses posing for stupid pictures. You can see the progression of the United States in murals from the Depression through WW2.

I also like Vietnam even though it gets crowded, it never seems touristy. It’s a somber place and you can feel the nation’s heartache.

WW2 is cool, but doesn’t have the same power and feeling as Vietnam. It’s also not as powerful as Lincoln.

Korean, like the war itself, is kind of forgotten among the other monuments. Not worth the time.

Is there a room in the FDR memorial dedicated to throwing Americans isn’t prison camps? That would be pretty tranquil.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Lincoln
    whlinder said:

Ahem I went to public school. NoVA rowing is like the biggest public school gay rowboat area in the cuntry

We smoked weed and talked shit to the prep school bitches we raced against

And by biggest, you mean only.
  • Options
    spudenspuden Member Posts: 353
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    FDR

spuden said:

Is there a room in the FDR memorial dedicated to throwing Americans isn’t prison camps? That would be pretty tranquil.
    Nope. Just like there is no room in the Washington monument dedicated to Washington trading in slaves. But you knew that.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Lincoln
    spuden said:

spuden said:

Nope. Just like there is no room in the Washington monument dedicated to Washington trading in slaves. But you knew that.
    Cool false equivalency. Where is Washington’s government policy on slavery?

FDR made is racism into policy that didn’t previously exist. It wasn’t just a moral failure that was common at the time.

But you knew that.

HTH.