Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Summer recruiting board

Comments

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,613
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2020

rel="chuck">Petersen was the main draw for elite kids and their families and also the best recruiter/closer. Is this surprising to anyone?

I thought Lake could jeep it going. He blew it. Fire the university.

Someone posted about how this one class of diamonds shouldn't hurt the roster too bad as long as it's a one time thing. I agree, but there are two ways this could turn around before the damage starts:

1) A big 2020 season...this would help for sure but not seal anything in recruiting if these guys are really this bad at it. Plus there wont be a 2020 season.

2) Jimmy gets disgusted enough to clear out his staff and make some flash hires. This isn't happening either. He doesn't seem to have any contacts or pull to make big time hires.

TLDR...FUCK
    Literally 95% of this bored bought into the narrative that Petersen was a cancer to recruiting and didnt understand it despite the fact that our classes were getting better and better every year.

Ironically, the class we are likely to end up with this year (with an AA head coach, who was supposedly the recruiting juggernaut that Pete's stubbornness was holding back) is the absolute dictionary definition of what everyone thought "the Pete class" was

Yep. All one had to do though was to look at the relative success of Pete in recruiting compared to Sark. Sark surrounded himself with recruiters (Sirmon, Tosh, Heyward) and made a big, public show of his emphasis on it. In five years he never came close to the level that Pete's very different staff achieved with Petersen expressing his disdain for the process the entire time.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,868
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

rel="chuck">Petersen was the main draw for elite kids and their families and also the best recruiter/closer. Is this surprising to anyone?

Someone posted about how this one class of diamonds shouldn't hurt the roster too bad as long as it's a one time thing. I agree, but there are two ways this could turn around before the damage starts:

1) A big 2020 season...this would help for sure but not seal anything in recruiting if these guys are really this bad at it. Plus there wont be a 2020 season.

2) Jimmy gets disgusted enough to clear out his staff and make some flash hires. This isn't happening either. He doesn't seem to have any contacts or pull to make big time hires.

TLDR...FUCK
    Literally 95% of this bored bought into the narrative that Petersen was a cancer to recruiting and didnt understand it despite the fact that our classes were getting better and better every year.

Ironically, the class we are likely to end up with this year (with an AA head coach, who was supposedly the recruiting juggernaut that Pete's stubbornness was holding back) is the absolute dictionary definition of what everyone thought "the Pete class" was

I think the narrative was more He couldn’t get the fast fast twitch LA type kids. Which was true. Pete was boring white with virtues and vision for life. That was to slow for many.

We figured Jimmy would be just the guy, for obvious reasons, to help land Troy, Denzel, Ortiz, etc. He was going to bring us hype without the faggyness and be able to draw attention of the fan boys loving getting their tip dipped in grellow by cristoballz. The right combo and virtues, vision, fast and slow twitch. We also believed that the DB hires would cement this.

20/20 right.

The same fuckery translated into playing time, game management and wins/loses will have us all ballzing backwards wishing for Pete’s return. Maybe even Race will miss him then...?
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,054
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    edited June 2020
    chuck said:

Petersen was the main draw for elite kids and their families and also the best recruiter/closer. Is this surprising to anyone?

TLDR...FUCK

I don't see the issue with firing Gregory today. It's not like he has any recruits that will leave because of it. You reading this, Jimmy? What's the holdup?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Why would I miss 8 and 5 and losing to Oregon?

If jimmy is 8 & 5, loses to Oregon and recruits like a wac team.
  • Options
    DomicilloDomicillo Member Posts: 3,025
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

chuck said:

Petersen was the main draw for elite kids and their families and also the best recruiter/closer. Is this surprising to anyone?

TLDR...FUCK

I don't see the issue with firing Gregory today. It's not like he has any recruits that will leave because of it. You reading this, Jimmy? What's the holdup?
    Same number of recruits he had 6 months ago when Lake gave him an extension.
  • Options
    TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,563
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited June 2020
    Well so far we have the Sherlock Holmes class of undiscovered value... who knew that this would’ve been the direction that we would go... I didn’t guess that our brand would suffer, and I still feel that when kids can get on campus and talk to our team that we will close strong

So far though you need your Sherlock Holmes outfit to find the unseen value in our class of recruits

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Well so far we have the Sherlock Holmes class of undiscovered value... who knew that this would’ve been the direction that we would go... I didn’t guess that our brand would suffer, and I still feel that when kids can get on campus and talk to our team that we will close strong

So far though you need your Sherlock Holmes outfit to find the unseen value in our class of recruits

Drink bleach.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    To quote a racist bigot “winners win and losers talk about recruiting”
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,278
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

Any fire Cohen talk is stupid and reactionary.

She played the cards she was dealt. With Pete’s blessing every AD in the country (and every one of us in our dads’ basements) snap hires Jimmy.

The real test is whether she can make the tough call and fire him promptly as soon as it is clear things aren’t working out.

Oregon fell into the same trap when Chip left. Chip recommended Helfrich, and with Chip’s prior success the rest is history.
  • Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,605
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    edited June 2020

This is a classic bananasnblondes hindsight/straw man post.

Nobody thought CP was a cancer to recruiting. He was an unreal closer and brought us to a level of recruiting vis a vis UCLA, USC, Notre Dame, etc that most of us had never seen at UW. And after his initial staff of loyalists every subsequent position coach hire was clearly made with recruiting in mind.

At the same time his stubbornness about his process led to some specific critiques about things like taking part of the spring off, not going after more questionable grades/character kids, and retaining a couple coaches that couldn’t or didn’t recruit to the level of the rest of the program.

The framing for that criticism was never that CP couldn’t recruit but always that if two or three things could be changed we could get to even the next level.

Of course CP’s stubbornness about his process is also what brought him a lot of success. Nobody is perfect.
    Only thing I blame Pete for is shitty offensive plan, Pease, KB, Gregory. Everything else was great.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

I think what everyone’s problem is that your lives don’t suck as bad as mine. When everything else sucks soooo much more, this is just another small displeasure. So here are my tips to everyone.

1. Have a child out of wedlock with a crazy bitch (who is tiny and skinny at the time).
    2. Get talked into moving in with said crazy bitch to “help raise our child while she attends school” which she never did.
    3. Spend almost a yr in hell and separate after that.
    4. Continue to bone crazy bitch while not together and get her pregnant.
    5. Move back I together.
    6. Continue to hate life and life decisions but continue to bone.
    7. Get pregnant again with twins.
    8. Realize you’re fucked either way.
    9. Finally marry TOF after 12 yrs who is now twice the women she was at #1.
    10. Give up on life and turn to HCH.

See, so in the bigger scheme of things udubs recruiting really isn’t that bad.

Chins up pups.

So really, please send me bleach and razors. You should all also consider killing yourselves. It’ll never get better and will only get worse.

Jesus, those are some poor life choices. I'm sorry, friend.
    All in a day's work at HH Headquarters!
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited June 2020

TLDR...FUCK

I just got sick of losing NY6 gaymes. At this point I'd be happy to lose the Kraft Diarrhea Cheese Bowel. This thing is complete dumpster fire.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

She played the cards she was dealt. With Pete’s blessing every AD in the country (and every one of us in our dads’ basements) snap hires Jimmy.

The real test is whether she can make the tough call and fire him promptly as soon as it is clear things aren’t working out.

I disagree
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Terrible take

There was a lot of reason to be skeptical when she was hired as the AD ... but when her initial actions were to get out of the way and let Pete be Pete and give him whatever he needed ... it's hard to completely bitch about her job.

However, since then, she's hired Jody Wynn (disaster), Mike Hopkins (jury is still out), and Jimmy Lake (the start isn't off to a good start). On top of that, she's seen a pretty bad scandal going on within the cheer/spirit squad and essentially been devoid of leadership throughout COVID in terms of what the future budget of the Athletic Department looks like (particularly compared to peer schools). That's just hitting at the low hanging fruit.

Jen's slowly proving that her best skill is keeping her mouth shut and doing the bare minimum. When it comes to actually displaying forward-thinking leadership, she's a questionable commodity at this point. And that's being kind.
  • Options
    dougthedawgdougthedawg Member Posts: 179
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

Terrible take

There was a lot of reason to be skeptical when she was hired as the AD ... but when her initial actions were to get out of the way and let Pete be Pete and give him whatever he needed ... it's hard to completely bitch about her job.

However, since then, she's hired Jody Wynn (disaster), Mike Hopkins (jury is still out), and Jimmy Lake (the start isn't off to a good start). On top of that, she's seen a pretty bad scandal going on within the cheer/spirit squad and essentially been devoid of leadership throughout COVID in terms of what the future budget of the Athletic Department looks like (particularly compared to peer schools). That's just hitting at the low hanging fruit.

Jen's slowly proving that her best skill is keeping her mouth shut and doing the bare minimum. When it comes to actually displaying forward-thinking leadership, she's a questionable commodity at this point. And that's being kind.
    She fired that ass in two shakes of a dog's tail after it became known. That is decisve leadership: it is not easy to dismiss state employee's (remember, RN won his wrongful termination suit for his firing). I think many ADs would have suspended him pending an investigation to cover their ass.

What could she have done differently? Micromanage every decision in the department? How do you think that would affect employee morale?

No credit for adidas? No credit for fixing the budget shortfall she inherited from Woodward without compromising coaching payroll?