Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Official 2021 class panic/Lake is clueless thread

insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
Starting a new thread to consolidate all the panic and Lake shit talking since it's spread across multiple threads.

Let's back track 6 months ago. The overall sentiment from the board was that Petersen didn't take recruiting seriously enough and it's a positive that he's stepping down and and getting replaced by a young, hot shot recruiter. The Lake era started off reasonably well - he brought Covington back into the fold, held onto the entire '20 class, and sent Pete off with a win in the Vegas bowl. What's happened since then?

-He hires Terrence Brown as assistant DB coach and promotes Will Harris to primary DB coach. Both have very little prior success in recruiting.
-Fires Bush and replaces him with an assistant RB coach
-Doesn't renew Paopao's contract and promotes Derham Cato, who spent the last 3 years as an analyst on the staff after getting fired from the OC job for a Davidson team that averaged 12ppg
-Strikes out on adding anyone to the class in the Feb signing period. This should have been the first red flag, Petersen added Irvin, Tuli, and Puka the last couple classes in Feb.
-Not only retains Gregory and KB but extends them a year and gives them raises
-Hosts a ton of '21 recruits and makes a halftime speech during the UW/UO bball game to pump up recruiting, UW then proceeds to blow a double digit lead and lose at home. Rumors are players felt Lake was doing a lame impersonation of the Ducks' recruiting strategies.
-Gets shit pushed in by Oregon on every single recruit they went head to head with. Bram Walden, Jonah Miller, Moliki Matavao, Darren Barkins, Troy Franklin, Xavier Worthy, Terrence Ferguson, Jaylin Davies. Basically all of these losses are attributed to the staff decisions he made.

The good news is we're over 6 months from signing day and still got a season to play. A lot of kids have committed to schools without setting foot on campus so an unprecedented wave of decommits is expected this fall. Still, it's a lot easier to hold onto commits than flipping kids from other schools and Lake sabotaged this class by the uninspired and lazy hires he made. I'll LIPO but Lake has set the margin for error this season to close to 0 if he wants to salvage what was supposed to be the best class in school history.

Comments

• Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,827
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    Mooser42Mooser42 Member Posts: 763
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    I’ve seen enough.
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,409
    Swaye's Wigwam

Starting a new thread to consolidate all the panic and Lake shit talking since it's spread across multiple threads.

Let's back track 6 months ago. The overall sentiment from the board was that Petersen didn't take recruiting seriously enough and it's a positive that he's stepping down and and getting replaced by a young, hot shot recruiter. The Lake era started off reasonably well - he brought Covington back into the fold, held onto the entire '20 class, and sent Pete off with a win in the Vegas bowl. What's happened since then?

-He hires Terrence Brown as assistant DB coach and promotes Will Harris to primary DB coach. Both have very little prior success in recruiting.
    -Doesn't renew Paopao's contract and promotes Derham Cato, who spent the last 3 years as an analyst on the staff after getting fired from the OC job for a Davidson team that averaged 12ppg
    -Strikes out on adding anyone to the class in the Feb signing period. This should have been the first red flag, Petersen added Irvin, Tuli, and Puka the last couple classes in Feb.
    -Hosts a ton of '21 recruits and makes a halftime speech during the UW/UO bball game to pump up recruiting, UW then proceeds to blow a double digit lead and lose at home. Rumors are players felt Lake was doing a lame impersonation of the Ducks' recruiting strategies.
    -Gets shit pushed in by Oregon on every single recruit they went head to head with. Bram Walden, Jonah Miller, Moliki Matavao, Darren Barkins, Troy Franklin, Xavier Worthy, Terrence Ferguson, Jaylin Davies. Basically all of these losses are attributed to the staff decisions he made.

The good news is we're over 6 months from signing day and still got a season to play. A lot of kids have committed to schools without setting foot on campus so an unprecedented wave of decommits is expected this fall. Still, it's a lot easier to hold onto commits than flipping kids from other schools and Lake sabotaged this class by the uninspired and lazy hires he made. I'll LIPO but Lake has set the margin for error this season to close to 0 if he wants to salvage what was supposed to be the best class in school history.

Even with the decommit wave that is coming, my guess is it's going to be 1 out of every 5 or six at best. No matter how optimistic or wearing the purple glasses people are banking on that is fools gold.

All we can do is LIPO, but his Margin for Error isn't close to zero, it is zero. In poker he has a 7/8 and the first two cards turn up Queen two. He needs last three cards to be 5/6/9

He was with Pete alot of years to be making what appears to be very rookie mistakes with the staff he hired.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I heard a rumor that there was once great debate on whether we might be better without Jimmy Lake ...
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    In all seriousness ... I think Jimmy has a number of elements that you want in a head coach

I also don’t know if he was quite ready to be a head coach ... we are seeing that in the decisions he has made filling out his staff and the reality being that those decisions are because he likely doesn’t have a great network of coaches to pull from and established coaches viewed him as a risk

When Jimmy got the job he said a lot of things that sounded really good ...

To date there has been little action and substance behind what he has done

He’s got a team capable of doing really good things on the field ...

But if he comes in at like 7-5 or 8-4 ... I think it’s fair to say that the red flags are going to be out in abundance
  • Options
    insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Tequilla said:

In all seriousness ... I think Jimmy has a number of elements that you want in a head coach

I also don’t know if he was quite ready to be a head coach ... we are seeing that in the decisions he has made filling out his staff and the reality being that those decisions are because he likely doesn’t have a great network of coaches to pull from and established coaches viewed him as a risk

But if he comes in at like 7-5 or 8-4 ... I think it’s fair to say that the red flags are going to be out in abundance

If he wins 7 with this team it will reek of Lambo winning 7 in 93, 94 and 95. 9 should be the floor, too much talent on hand for less. Jim Lakebo anyone?
    7-2 is the minimum for the conference record. 5 games are gimmes, gotta at least split the other 4.

@Oregon - Limited homefield advantage. Oregon will still be breaking in a new offense and QB. Will be a defensive struggle. Toss up game.
    OSU - Win or GTFO
    @ Utah - Limited homefield advantage. New QB, rebuilding defense, and possibly a new DC. Toss up game.
    Arizona - Win or GTFO
    @ Cal - Toss up game
    Stanford - Win or GTFO
    @USC - Will be an underdog but it's still Clay Helton
    Colorado - Win or GTFO
    @WSU - Win or GTFO

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2020

Tequilla said:

If he wins 7 with this team it will reek of Lambo winning 7 in 93, 94 and 95. 9 should be the floor, too much talent on hand for less. Jim Lakebo anyone?
    7-2 is the minimum for the conference record. 5 games are gimmes, gotta at least split the other 4.

@Oregon - Limited homefield advantage. Oregon will still be breaking in a new offense and QB. Will be a defensive struggle. Toss up game.
    OSU - Win or GTFO
    @ Utah - Limited homefield advantage. New QB, rebuilding defense, and possibly a new DC. Toss up game.
    Arizona - Win or GTFO
    @ Cal - Toss up game
    Stanford - Win or GTFO
    @USC - Will be an underdog but it's still Clay Helton
    Colorado - Win or GTFO
    @WSU - Win or GTFO

I feel a little doogin here but I can get down with this. 7-2, pushing khaki pants shit in and a bowl victory will save this class.

Now that I’m reading what I wrote i feel that this is heavy doogin and kinda want to click the fuck off button in myself.
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246

You need to give James Reservoir more tim. Helfrich hired people that had never been coordinators into coordinator roles. James doesn't do that. He hires people who previously sucked at coordinating into those roles. It's looking like he's an equally lazy recruiter, but you can't win them all.

LIPO.
  • Options
    dOgmasterdOgmaster Member Posts: 561
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Sark came in and talked a bunch if shit and everyone ate that up as well, so just talking doesn’t win games, or indicate that the program is heading in the right direction.

Lots of hand wringing about recruiting and that it will magically turn around once uw gets recruits to visit. I believe that Seattle hosted a large 7 vs 7 tourney in January. Did he fuck up and not bring in any of those kids? Or did he and got nothing? Not sure which would be worse.

I also hear talk about how great Huard is. But something seems off. He plays with an elite group, but very few if any seem to want to play college ball with him. Maybe he is part of the problem. I don’t have any information to support that. But it could explain why local recruiting hasn’t gone as hoped.

• Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,965
    Founders Club

On the latest Doogman pod, Ektard has figured out why Oregon has been kicking our ass this year in recruiting. It's not because no one wants to play in John Donovan's offense, it's not because Jimmy hired a bunch of deadbeat recruiters, nope it's all because of Cooper Petagna. The recruiting analyst who Lake let go and replaced with Justin Glenn. His theory is Cooper knows the ins and outs of the OKG/B4L strategy and has brought those insights to Eugene.

It makes sense if you don't think about it.
  • Options
    dOgmasterdOgmaster Member Posts: 561
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Doesn’t explains Oregons recruiting success for that past 3 cycles, but it may explain uw’s sudden change.
  • Options
    DoogWhispererDoogWhisperer Member Posts: 1,017
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

On the latest Doogman pod, Ektard has figured out why Oregon has been kicking our ass this year in recruiting. It's not because no one wants to play in John Donovan's offense, it's not because Jimmy hired a bunch of deadbeat recruiters, nope it's all because of Cooper Petagna. The recruiting analyst who Lake let go and replaced with Justin Glenn. His theory is Cooper knows the ins and outs of the OKG/B4L strategy and has brought those insights to Eugene.

But OKGs don’t decommit...
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Tequilla said:

I heard a rumor that there was once great debate on whether we might be better without Jimmy Lake ...

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dOgmaster said:

Doesn’t explains Oregons recruiting success for that past 3 cycles, but it may explain uw’s sudden change.

We’ve been better if you look at a 3 yr average... then this yr. completely plungered.