Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Tim Pool Gets His First Gun! | Louder with Crowder

13»

Comments

• Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 31,039
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye said:

Sledog said:

Swaye said:

Houhusky said:

Bob_C said:

Seriously thinking about buying one never owner but have shot a little, what should I get?

This is by far the best intro video for you...

https://youtu.be/JiE1pUXEAHM

Guns are a lot like fishing, everyone is going to have an overly strong opinion on what is best. Boomer types will swear by old, tried and true, but possibly inferior technology. Zoomer types will swear by the cool new technology and and calibers.

I wrote a post outlining gun ranges for newbies on the wam, if people want it here I can repost it.

Personally:

Pump Shotguns and revolvers, while easy to understand are poor in practice for newbies, they have limited capacity and require manipulation before firing, terrible choice for a newbie actually in a self/home defense situation.

Get a common modern caliber; 9mm, 12 gauge, 5.56, .223

You aren’t experienced enough to ccw, if you are getting a pistol get a full size frame.

An AR style firearm is by far not only the most intuitive to use they are the easiest to be accurate with and are cheap to buy and practice with.

Canik is by far the best cheap entry level handgun for the money.

Agree with most of this but I still think pump shotguns and revolvers have benefits for a new shooter. Wheelguns may only have 5/6 rounds, but you pull the trigger they go bang, 5 or 6 tims. Let a new or inexperienced gun owner deal with an FTE or FTF in a semi-auto during the heat of the moment. Um, no. Not good. I keep both around because both have their place. On balance, I prefer SA, but I've shots tens of thousands of rounds over 4 decades. Most have not.

Hard agree on stick with a common round. 9mm, .38, .223, 30-30, 12 gauge, etc. Might feel exotic to own a 38 super (I do for funsies), but good luck finding ammo when the world is tits up.

Also, if you plan to own only one .223 for TEOTWAWKI, get a maintenance kit for it. Spare spring, firing pin, etc. Just might save your life one day. And, it takes a long tim, but spring tensions go bad in loaded mags, so buy extras. And while you are buying all of this shit do not forget to throw in some Wise freeze dried meals, some water purification tablets, and some fish antibiotics (same shit we use and can be bought cheaply with no scrip). Just basics like the above and maybe a first aid kit, book on survival if you have no skills (fine to admit that), and fire starter. Small large quantity of cocaine could be in there as well. A "go bag" if you like.

I'm here to help.
    Actually the uncommon calibers are usually in stock during droughts. At least well after all else is gone. They will not be produced again by the manufacturers until the problem is over. During the worst drought/panic you could initially buy odd stuff like .357 Sig or 38 Super etc. Rifle rounds like .243, .270 Win. too. You couldn't buy a common caliber to save your ass. My local stores have been very short of 9mm the bean counters at the FBI made 'em switch back to it so everyone thinks it's THE best. Sold out in seconds. This in a place everyone is already armed. What was on the shelf? 45 ACP. Not many men left in the world so THE best defensive handgun caliber in the universe was still there! I didn't need any. So having an odd gun isn't a bad idea. Also if you a .40 S&W you can buy a spare barrel for 357 Sig. Same with some guns and .38 Super. Having ammo means you don't have to.

Pretend your're country folk with a root cellar full of canned goods. Do the same with ammo. Standard thought is 200 rounds for a handgun plus as a number of spare mags. 1,000 rounds for you rifle and at least 6 spare mags. Mags can get lost and there won't be any resupply during an event.

Guns? 1 is none 2 is 1.

But most of all get some real actual training! How much is your life worth?
    A point I'd like to add is to not sleep on the venerable .22. Once the solar flare or Antifa insurrection knocks out life as we know it, there is more to do than just shoot people. Things like procuring food. REAL God made this thing called the rabbit. It multiplies quickly and because of this has fed countless generations of hillbillies. A .22 rifle is the best invention ever created for harvesting these tasty creatures. Snares work well sometimes, but a .22 to the brain pan is sure fire dinner is served goodness. Oh yeah, add a skinning knife to your kit as well, provided you actually know how to skin, bleed out, gut, quarter and process an animal. If you have none of these skills, you will be dead soon anyway.
    A box of .22 provides lots of eating. Let's just say I haven't forgotten it! I also couldn't move mine with one dolly.

I didn't include it in the above as it was more defense minded. Some lovingly placed .22 fire into an angry crowd is definitely a deterrent! Knee caps don't heal well.
  • Options
    USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Sledog said:

Swaye said:

Sledog said:

Swaye said:

Houhusky said:

Bob_C said:

Seriously thinking about buying one never owner but have shot a little, what should I get?

Guns are a lot like fishing, everyone is going to have an overly strong opinion on what is best. Boomer types will swear by old, tried and true, but possibly inferior technology. Zoomer types will swear by the cool new technology and and calibers.

I wrote a post outlining gun ranges for newbies on the wam, if people want it here I can repost it.

Personally:

Pump Shotguns and revolvers, while easy to understand are poor in practice for newbies, they have limited capacity and require manipulation before firing, terrible choice for a newbie actually in a self/home defense situation.

You aren’t experienced enough to ccw, if you are getting a pistol get a full size frame.

An AR style firearm is by far not only the most intuitive to use they are the easiest to be accurate with and are cheap to buy and practice with.

Agree with most of this but I still think pump shotguns and revolvers have benefits for a new shooter. Wheelguns may only have 5/6 rounds, but you pull the trigger they go bang, 5 or 6 tims. Let a new or inexperienced gun owner deal with an FTE or FTF in a semi-auto during the heat of the moment. Um, no. Not good. I keep both around because both have their place. On balance, I prefer SA, but I've shots tens of thousands of rounds over 4 decades. Most have not.

Hard agree on stick with a common round. 9mm, .38, .223, 30-30, 12 gauge, etc. Might feel exotic to own a 38 super (I do for funsies), but good luck finding ammo when the world is tits up.

Also, if you plan to own only one .223 for TEOTWAWKI, get a maintenance kit for it. Spare spring, firing pin, etc. Just might save your life one day. And, it takes a long tim, but spring tensions go bad in loaded mags, so buy extras. And while you are buying all of this shit do not forget to throw in some Wise freeze dried meals, some water purification tablets, and some fish antibiotics (same shit we use and can be bought cheaply with no scrip). Just basics like the above and maybe a first aid kit, book on survival if you have no skills (fine to admit that), and fire starter. Small large quantity of cocaine could be in there as well. A "go bag" if you like.

I'm here to help.
    Actually the uncommon calibers are usually in stock during droughts. At least well after all else is gone. They will not be produced again by the manufacturers until the problem is over. During the worst drought/panic you could initially buy odd stuff like .357 Sig or 38 Super etc. Rifle rounds like .243, .270 Win. too. You couldn't buy a common caliber to save your ass. My local stores have been very short of 9mm the bean counters at the FBI made 'em switch back to it so everyone thinks it's THE best. Sold out in seconds. This in a place everyone is already armed. What was on the shelf? 45 ACP. Not many men left in the world so THE best defensive handgun caliber in the universe was still there! I didn't need any. So having an odd gun isn't a bad idea. Also if you a .40 S&W you can buy a spare barrel for 357 Sig. Same with some guns and .38 Super. Having ammo means you don't have to.

Pretend your're country folk with a root cellar full of canned goods. Do the same with ammo. Standard thought is 200 rounds for a handgun plus as a number of spare mags. 1,000 rounds for you rifle and at least 6 spare mags. Mags can get lost and there won't be any resupply during an event.

Guns? 1 is none 2 is 1.

A point I'd like to add is to not sleep on the venerable .22. Once the solar flare or Antifa insurrection knocks out life as we know it, there is more to do than just shoot people. Things like procuring food. REAL God made this thing called the rabbit. It multiplies quickly and because of this has fed countless generations of hillbillies. A .22 rifle is the best invention ever created for harvesting these tasty creatures. Snares work well sometimes, but a .22 to the brain pan is sure fire dinner is served goodness. Oh yeah, add a skinning knife to your kit as well, provided you actually know how to skin, bleed out, gut, quarter and process an animal. If you have none of these skills, you will be dead soon anyway.
    A box of .22 provides lots of eating. Let's just say I haven't forgotten it! I also couldn't move mine with one dolly.

I didn't include it in the above as it was more defense minded. Some lovingly placed .22 fire into an angry crowd is definitely a deterrent! Knee caps don't heal well.
    I have the .22 conversion kit for my .40 Sig 229. It was bought to teach the kids how to shoot without wasting expensive .40 rounds. It’s a good multipurpose round. Training, hunting, kneecapping...
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    edited June 2020
    Swaye said:

Sledog said:

Swaye said:

Houhusky said:

Bob_C said:

Personally:

I'm here to help.

Guns? 1 is none 2 is 1.

might as well stock up on some solvent traps and a drill press while you are at it too... Once the police are abolished, drilling a few holes gets a lot easier and a lot cheaper.

My grandpa casually butchered the family rabbit in the garage (and showed us kids how to do it) for a Christmas feast one year... 2 generations later and idiots are doing a panicked run on toilet-paper during a respiratory pandemic.

81%+ people now are soft as shit and wouldn't survive any real hardship. The vast majority of people from the city would die of starvation in their house because they couldnt find the can opener, forget knowing how to butcher an animal.

New family (from California) down the street from me had a tree fall and take out part of his fence, asked if he needed help clearing it... Guy was a grown ass man that had never used a chainsaw before. That night my wife said over dinner "that its good another weak mark moved into the neighborhood for when the end of the world raiding starts".

Even if you have just watched the Alone TV show you are already miles ahead of the average.
  • Options
    NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    Guy was a grown ass man that had never used a chainsaw before

Does not compute. That’s no grown ass man. Probably has never changed his own car oil, either.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,311
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Sledog said:

Swaye said:

Sledog said:

Swaye said:

Houhusky said:

Bob_C said:

Personally:

I'm here to help.

Guns? 1 is none 2 is 1.

What I'm really hearing here is to diversify your portfolio and invest in capital early.
  • Options
    I even come complete with a 2 post lift. I hate paying people $100,00 an hour to work on my cars weather I have the money or not. I do it all unless it requires electronic computer/sensor shit. And I'll do that if I can figure it out. Even did the injectors on my old Duramax.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,755
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye said:

Houhusky said:

Swaye said:

Sledog said:

Swaye said:

Houhusky said:

Bob_C said:

Personally:

I'm here to help.

Guns? 1 is none 2 is 1.

might as well stock up on some solvent traps and a drill press while you are at it too... Once the police are abolished, drilling a few holes gets a lot easier and a lot cheaper.

My grandpa casually butchered the family rabbit in the garage (and showed us kids how to do it) for a Christmas feast one year... 2 generations later and idiots are doing a panicked run on toilet-paper during a respiratory pandemic.

81%+ people now are soft as shit and wouldn't survive any real hardship. The vast majority of people from the city would die of starvation in their house because they couldnt find the can opener, forget knowing how to butcher an animal.

New family (from California) down the street from me had a tree fall and take out part of his fence, asked if he needed help clearing it... Guy was a grown ass man that had never used a chainsaw before. That night my wife said over dinner "that its good another weak mark moved into the neighborhood for when the end of the world raiding starts".

Even if you have just watched the Alone TV show you are already miles ahead of the average.
    On balance, you are one of the best poasters here. It's gems like this.

You should see some of the giggleshits in my neighborhood. I have a pretty stocked garage with lots of tools. Generally I offer them up when people are talking about projects they need to have done. 9 out of 10 tims I get looked at like a have a third eye. "Oh no, I meant hire someone to do it" they say. Translation: I have no clue if that is a wrench or a hammer, nor would i have any idea what to do with it if you told me the answer. I can barely work my electric (fag) lawnmower.

It's a sad state of affairs. My neighbor saw me carrying my chain saw to the back 40 last weekend to do some full contact tree trimming. He looked equal parts scared and mystified. Saw him out later that weekend with some sorry ass little hand shears trying, and failing, to trim his trees. I'm the only guy on my street who even owns a chainsaw. And that's probably a good thing. These giggleshits wouldn't have a clue how to tension a chain or use bar oil anyway. They would just kill themselves. Probably not much of a loss.

Gut and process an animal? If that means unwrap a burger from it's paper holder then yes, they are capable. Most "men" would probably dry heave at sticking the old finger up the asshole to pull the bungus away from the gutting knife. I don't hold myself up as some paragon of manliness, though of course I am, but shit man hardly anybody can do anything anymore that was once considered "manly." Was out with a buddy from the Navy a couple years ago in his car and he got a flat. Had absolutely zero idea what to do. So I changed the tire.

This is basic man shit. Changing light fixtures, drywall, gutting and skinning animals you killed, working a chainsaw, chop saw and drill press. Changing a tire or car battery. This is basic shit. I am not thinking everyone needs to be a nuclear grade welder here. It's fucking sad. But in a way, not. As you suggest when everything goes tits up only about 20% of dudes will survive, and assholes like me will have their pick of the litter to form a harem with. There won't be any of this bullshit "toxic masculinity" debate at my wigwam when I am laying down the meat (double meaning) each night on the table.
    Had to change pants after reading. Anybody else?
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,606
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye said:

Sledog said:

Swaye said:

Houhusky said:

Bob_C said:

Personally:

I'm here to help.

Guns? 1 is none 2 is 1.

Fuck coneys.

I want

• Options
  • Options
    SECDAWGSECDAWG Member Posts: 5,004
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Belongs in Wig Wam IMO

• Options

Houhusky said:

Bob_C said:

Personally:

Paul is such a dork but his videos do offer a lot of good info. He’s definitely a fan of scatter guns.
    The old blunderbuss is phenomenal piece of gear. It is the deadliest close range weapon you can carry easily. It speaks with a finality. Very versatile.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,046
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Sledog said:

Houhusky said:

Bob_C said:

Personally:

Paul is such a dork but his videos do offer a lot of good info. He’s definitely a fan of scatter guns.
    The old blunderbuss is phenomenal piece of gear. It is the deadliest close range weapon you can carry easily. It speaks with a finality. Very versatile.
    There's just so much upside to ye old blunderbuss...

- Relatively cheap compared to the other options
    - Simple to clean and operate
    - No other common home defense weapon yields as much lethalilty in one shot
    - Load some slugs and you can take down any critter in N. America in a pinch

I get the limited capacity issue and the recoil is a bitch.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

Sledog said:

Houhusky said:

Bob_C said:

Personally:

There's just so much upside to ye old blunderbuss...

- Relatively cheap compared to the other options
    - Simple to clean and operate
    - No other common home defense weapon yields as much lethalilty in one shot
    - Load some slugs and you can take down any critter in N. America in a pinch

I get the limited capacity issue and the recoil is a bitch.

The shotgun can usually take care of the job at hand but it is not a sustained fire weapon of any sort. A gun that carries 8 is about the practical limit. Mag fed guns aren't there yet and even if they were more ammo becomes very heavy and cumbersome. But from point blank to over 100 yards the shotgun is capable and useful. Swapping from buck to slug (slug select drill) takes a little time. The new buckshot loads pattern far tighter greatly extending the range of buckshot over the old stuff.

US military has a long history of using the shotgun. Germans said they would execute any American carrying one in WWI they didn't like 'em any better in WWII, Korea. Nam or the middle east. I think one of the first large combat uses of the shotgun was in the civil war. They were muzzle loaders but confederate cavalry would carry two double barreled guns and charge into the union troops cutting wide swaths down before switching to the sword and pistol. The military is still well invested on the shotgun. If you have never seen the movie The Wind and the Lion you're missing out. Winchester 1897's star in that one.

Your average ANTIFA/BLM commie losses a great deal of interest in his endeavors and rethinks things when the gauge is on scene. Cleaning their comrades brains off their faces reinforces their fears and they usually decide mom is calling. It's a very short jump until these idiots are armed with guns and shooting people.