Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Tim Pool Gets His First Gun! | Louder with Crowder

Comments

• Options
    DJDuckDJDuck Member Posts: 5,970
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Bob_C said:

Seriously thinking about buying one never owner but have shot a little, what should I get?

Most reliable and easy to use is a .38 caliber revolver.

• Options
    LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,131
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    CZ 75 is my favorite basic 9mm pistol
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 31,037
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

CZ 75 is my favorite basic 9mm pistol

One of the best. You can carry it cocked and locked with no dingleberry hammer dropper thingy.
  • Options
    SECDAWGSECDAWG Member Posts: 5,004
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Not popular but Berretta 40, IMO.
  • Options
    Or better, Benelli shotgun.

How fast and what do you want to disperse...

This is it on a big scale.
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    Bob_C said:

Seriously thinking about buying one never owner but have shot a little, what should I get?

This is by far the best intro video for you...

https://youtu.be/JiE1pUXEAHM

Guns are a lot like fishing, everyone is going to have an overly strong opinion on what is best. Boomer types will swear by old, tried and true, but possibly inferior technology. Zoomer types will swear by the cool new technology and and calibers.

I wrote a post outlining gun ranges for newbies on the wam, if people want it here I can repost it.

Personally:

Pump Shotguns and revolvers, while easy to understand are poor in practice for newbies, they have limited capacity and require manipulation before firing, terrible choice for a newbie actually in a self/home defense situation.

Get a common modern caliber; 9mm, 12 gauge, 5.56, .223

You aren’t experienced enough to ccw, if you are getting a pistol get a full size frame.

An AR style firearm is by far not only the most intuitive to use they are the easiest to be accurate with and are cheap to buy and practice with.

Canik is by far the best cheap entry level handgun for the money.

• Options
    A lot of .............

Benelli.

IMO
  • Options
    And be done with it
  • Options
    Houhusky said:

Bob_C said:

Guns are a lot like fishing, everyone is going to have an overly strong opinion on what is best. Boomer types will swear by old, tried and true, but possibly inferior technology. Zoomer types will swear by the cool new technology and and calibers.

I wrote a post outlining gun ranges for newbies on the wam, if people want it here I can repost it.

Personally:

Pump Shotguns and revolvers, while easy to understand are poor in practice for newbies, they have limited capacity and require manipulation before firing, terrible choice for a newbie actually in a self/home defense situation.

You aren’t experienced enough to ccw, if you are getting a pistol get a full size frame.

An AR style firearm is by far not only the most intuitive to use they are the easiest to be accurate with and are cheap to buy and practice with.

There is nothing "new" in firearms. Just rehashes of old stuff that can be done better with modern manufacturing. Haven't tried a Canik. The problem with new imports and companies is support down the road. I'd recommend name brands that have established support infrastructure and will be around a while.

I'm a boomer. They have not and may never make anything better than a 1911. It doesn't even have an equal.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,755
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Luckily there are neither in Texas suburbs

Funny thing is as Conservative as I am I don’t have a single gun...and not too worried to get one anytime soon. Almost every one of my neighbors is armed enough to support a small militia and there are a lot of houses between me and the neighborhood’s access roads.
    That's how it is at my E WA place. Loaded guns everywhere, and nobody ever gets shot. Amazing what competent, careful people can achieve even after downing a twacker of Rainier or Keystone Light.
  • Options
    Country boy can survive is a thing not a song! The girls too.

Always been that way.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,755
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Sledog said:

Always been that way.

Last trip to Montana I saw no purple hair, no multiple pierced noses or lobes, and very few fat women, cause I was hiking and biking most of the time.

For now, I'm declaring Montana the MILF capital of the US.

The absence of Seattle-like Fatties is heavenly.
  • Options

Sledog said:

Always been that way.

Last trip to Montana I saw no purple hair, no multiple pierced noses or lobes, and very few fat women, cause I was hiking and biking most of the time.

For now, I'm declaring Montana the MILF capital of the US.

The absence of Seattle-like Fatties is heavenly.
    Cattle country rocks. Hot cowgirls! looks like America to me.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,898
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    It's not uncommon for fuckers to have 25 guns here. It's why there haven't been too many arrests in Phx.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

I’ll offer a meta answer.

“Common sense” gun reforms have made it nearly impossible to purchase a firearm and have it in hand in under two weeks. The libs who deride those who think that a firearm is an anachronism in the present technocratic society and should cede to the protection of the police - the police gave up to the mobs. Don’t let that be you.

If one was prescient they would have quickly purchased when the shit hit the fan and, maybe, had it a suitable arsenal now. But probably not.

My latest purchase was. Kimber stainless custom 1911 .45 which I took possession of nearly 28 days after purchase (online seller). Shipping times, background checks, FFL transfer timetables made it challenging to get it any earlier.

I follow what I was told long ago; know what you need and buy early. Firearms are as good as silver and gold for wealth preservation and much more useful.

When the shit hits the fan guns and ammo are worth more than gold.
  • Options
    Swaye said:

Houhusky said:

Bob_C said:

Personally:

Agree with most of this but I still think pump shotguns and revolvers have benefits for a new shooter. Wheelguns may only have 5/6 rounds, but you pull the trigger they go bang, 5 or 6 tims. Let a new or inexperienced gun owner deal with an FTE or FTF in a semi-auto during the heat of the moment. Um, no. Not good. I keep both around because both have their place. On balance, I prefer SA, but I've shots tens of thousands of rounds over 4 decades. Most have not.

Hard agree on stick with a common round. 9mm, .38, .223, 30-30, 12 gauge, etc. Might feel exotic to own a 38 super (I do for funsies), but good luck finding ammo when the world is tits up.

Also, if you plan to own only one .223 for TEOTWAWKI, get a maintenance kit for it. Spare spring, firing pin, etc. Just might save your life one day. And, it takes a long tim, but spring tensions go bad in loaded mags, so buy extras. And while you are buying all of this shit do not forget to throw in some Wise freeze dried meals, some water purification tablets, and some fish antibiotics (same shit we use and can be bought cheaply with no scrip). Just basics like the above and maybe a first aid kit, book on survival if you have no skills (fine to admit that), and fire starter. Small large quantity of cocaine could be in there as well. A "go bag" if you like.

I'm here to help.
    Actually the uncommon calibers are usually in stock during droughts. At least well after all else is gone. They will not be produced again by the manufacturers until the problem is over. During the worst drought/panic you could initially buy odd stuff like .357 Sig or 38 Super etc. Rifle rounds like .243, .270 Win. too. You couldn't buy a common caliber to save your ass. My local stores have been very short of 9mm the bean counters at the FBI made 'em switch back to it so everyone thinks it's THE best. Sold out in seconds. This in a place everyone is already armed. What was on the shelf? 45 ACP. Not many men left in the world so THE best defensive handgun caliber in the universe was still there! I didn't need any. So having an odd gun isn't a bad idea. Also if you a .40 S&W you can buy a spare barrel for 357 Sig. Same with some guns and .38 Super. Having ammo means you don't have to.

Pretend your're country folk with a root cellar full of canned goods. Do the same with ammo. Standard thought is 200 rounds for a handgun plus as a number of spare mags. 1,000 rounds for you rifle and at least 6 spare mags. Mags can get lost and there won't be any resupply during an event.

Guns? 1 is none 2 is 1.

But most of all get some real actual training! How much is your life worth?
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,067
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Sledog said:

Swaye said:

Houhusky said:

Bob_C said:

Personally:

Agree with most of this but I still think pump shotguns and revolvers have benefits for a new shooter. Wheelguns may only have 5/6 rounds, but you pull the trigger they go bang, 5 or 6 tims. Let a new or inexperienced gun owner deal with an FTE or FTF in a semi-auto during the heat of the moment. Um, no. Not good. I keep both around because both have their place. On balance, I prefer SA, but I've shots tens of thousands of rounds over 4 decades. Most have not.

Hard agree on stick with a common round. 9mm, .38, .223, 30-30, 12 gauge, etc. Might feel exotic to own a 38 super (I do for funsies), but good luck finding ammo when the world is tits up.

Also, if you plan to own only one .223 for TEOTWAWKI, get a maintenance kit for it. Spare spring, firing pin, etc. Just might save your life one day. And, it takes a long tim, but spring tensions go bad in loaded mags, so buy extras. And while you are buying all of this shit do not forget to throw in some Wise freeze dried meals, some water purification tablets, and some fish antibiotics (same shit we use and can be bought cheaply with no scrip). Just basics like the above and maybe a first aid kit, book on survival if you have no skills (fine to admit that), and fire starter. Small large quantity of cocaine could be in there as well. A "go bag" if you like.

I'm here to help.
    Actually the uncommon calibers are usually in stock during droughts. At least well after all else is gone. They will not be produced again by the manufacturers until the problem is over. During the worst drought/panic you could initially buy odd stuff like .357 Sig or 38 Super etc. Rifle rounds like .243, .270 Win. too. You couldn't buy a common caliber to save your ass. My local stores have been very short of 9mm the bean counters at the FBI made 'em switch back to it so everyone thinks it's THE best. Sold out in seconds. This in a place everyone is already armed. What was on the shelf? 45 ACP. Not many men left in the world so THE best defensive handgun caliber in the universe was still there! I didn't need any. So having an odd gun isn't a bad idea. Also if you a .40 S&W you can buy a spare barrel for 357 Sig. Same with some guns and .38 Super. Having ammo means you don't have to.

Pretend your're country folk with a root cellar full of canned goods. Do the same with ammo. Standard thought is 200 rounds for a handgun plus as a number of spare mags. 1,000 rounds for you rifle and at least 6 spare mags. Mags can get lost and there won't be any resupply during an event.

Guns? 1 is none 2 is 1.

But most of all get some real actual training! How much is your life worth?
    A point I'd like to add is to not sleep on the venerable .22. Once the solar flare or Antifa insurrection knocks out life as we know it, there is more to do than just shoot people. Things like procuring food. REAL God made this thing called the rabbit. It multiplies quickly and because of this has fed countless generations of hillbillies. A .22 rifle is the best invention ever created for harvesting these tasty creatures. Snares work well sometimes, but a .22 to the brain pan is sure fire dinner is served goodness. Oh yeah, add a skinning knife to your kit as well, provided you actually know how to skin, bleed out, gut, quarter and process an animal. If you have none of these skills, you will be dead soon anyway.