Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Greatest American City in Music History

2»

Comments

• Options
    spudenspuden Member Posts: 353
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Detroit
    LebamDawg said:

they gave us Motown

This ^
  • Options
    SECDAWGSECDAWG Member Posts: 5,004
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Nashville
    Jeebus...

Nashville.

It was playing when folks were fighting @Swaye in the west.

Are you kidding me?? There’s no contest here.

Longer history and solid.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,476
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Los Angeles
    If I liked country I'd say Nashville because you immediately recognize that as the go to music City of America.

I think Vegas would have a spot considering they've had Celine Dion running for a decade plus.

But once you get over LA as a Hollywood town first, it's hard to argue from a hip hop perspective alone.

Seattle actually has a pretty decent claim, beyond the obvious grunge lineup and Hendrix, it has some modern ish clout with Death Cab, modest mouse, fleet Foxes, our favorite 12 Macklemore, and Odesza.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,643
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Los Angeles
    Doogles said:

If I liked country I'd say Nashville because you immediately recognize that as the go to music City of America.

I think Vegas would have a spot considering they've had Celine Dion running for a decade plus.

But once you get over LA as a Hollywood town first, it's hard to argue from a hip hop perspective alone.

Seattle actually has a pretty decent claim, beyond the obvious grunge lineup and Hendrix, it has some modern ish clout with Death Cab, modest mouse, fleet Foxes, our favorite 12 Macklemore, and Odesza.

Seattle has a good music scene, or at least always seemed to. I'm no expert. I saw a shit ton of good acts from many genres when I lived there. Many were local or PNW origin, but they came from far and wide too.
  • Options
    alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,849
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    San Francisco
    Two words...Grateful Dead.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,042
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Los Angeles
    Doogles said:

Is it wrong of me that I don't count Jimi as a product of the Seattle music scene? Sure he was born here and went to Garfield but he didn't really come of age musically in Seattle. When I think of Hendrix I think NY or London.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,643
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Los Angeles

Doogles said:

Is it wrong of me that I don't count Jimi as a product of the Seattle music scene? Sure he was born here and went to Garfield but he didn't really come of age musically in Seattle. When I think of Hendrix I think NY or London.
    Born there and buried there. That's enough for me the way I was thinking about it. Your approach was to look at where their career really launched from, hence lumping Neil in with LA. It's not wrong and it was your fucking question so WGAF what the rest of us think?
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,323
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    So I'm getting the impression Darrington's not being added as an option?...

Snobs.
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,922
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited June 2020
    Memphis

NOLA/Memphis. Tomato, tomahto. And it's not even close after that.

Pick 'em.

Yep, without Memphis and New Orleans getting it all started there is no music scene, or at least a music scene as we know it in any of those other cities. Memphis also played a huge roll in early country/hillbilly/folk music scene. If you're talking history, it's not even close. If you're talking which city later on had the best musical scene LA in the 60s and 70s wins.
  • Options
    Nashville
    Gone tell you degenerates again....

Nashville.

Is this like a trick question??!

LA?? Really. No one East of CO would believe what y’all putting out on this poll.

Be a laughing stock. Good God.

There’s several big music cities but Nashville is hub fucking center.com.

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,941
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    New Orleans
    SECDAWG said:

Nashville.

LA?? Really. No one East of CO would believe what y’all putting out on this poll.

Nashville is definitely in the conversation - but we talkin' HISTORY, man. HISTORY.

Still come back to NOLA and Memphis for that. No rock and roll without the blues. No blues without the Mississippi Delta.

Current hub, yes - Nashville. Absolutely. Really enjoyed a brief visit there a couple years ago and find it way more tolerable than Vegas other than the fucking humidity. But even at that, for a night of tunes, I'd still take Beale St and Frenchman's Street over Broadway - simply for the diversity of styles.

Nashville wins the drunken sororitutes/Bachelorette Party category though.

• Options
    Nashville

SECDAWG said:

Nashville.

Nashville is definitely in the conversation - but we talkin' HISTORY, man. HISTORY.

Still come back to NOLA and Memphis for that. No rock and roll without the blues. No blues without the Mississippi Delta.

Current hub, yes - Nashville. Absolutely. Really enjoyed a brief visit there a couple years ago and find it way more tolerable than Vegas other than the fucking humidity. But even at that, for a night of tunes, I'd still take Beale St and Frenchman's Street over Broadway - simply for the diversity of styles.

Nashville wins the drunken sororitutes/Bachelorette Party category though.

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Doogles said:

Nashville is more of a music city than LA tho. Nashville is awesome. One of the best cities in the US.
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,101
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    New York
    I gotta go with NYC.

Blondie
    Ramones
    Run DMC
    Beastie Boys
    Biggie
    Billy Joel