Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Solid Bowl Win, Dawgs!

Not sure how good a bowl opponent we could expect BYU to be........ the blue coogs lost to Utah, but so did the Tree. The Kraft Hunger Bowl was an odd game to watch, but I must admit I had fun watching it anyway. There didn't seem to be much if any pressure on UW players or coaches and the Huskies were well enough prepared to not only win, but have fun doing it. Scoring 31 points against BYU given UW's talent at skill positions may not seem like enough, but holding the Mormons to just 16 on the scoreboard was I think remarkable,....... or has the Alamo of just two years ago been forgotten already? BYU may of had more experience and maturity, but the Huskies obviously had a lot more speed.

Finishing the 2013 season at 9-4 can be lived with in the off-season of course, even though the thrashing of Idaho State shouldn't be counted as even half a sweat, much less a win. I'll never understand how this Husky team, with so much adverse drama happening in the trenches on the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball, could be expected to win more than seven games again let alone nine this past season, but there are those who did expect it. Had it not been for continued improvement on defense and some remarkable talent and athleticism at RB, QB, and WR, even seven wins and a bowl invitation might not have been possible.

The story of this post season was of course mostly about the coaching and how a makeshift staff less one ex-head coach and three former assistants were able to put together enough of a game plan and practice work to give us and themselves an entertaining evening of college football. This was also the work of some student-athletes with more than a little leadership skill and isn't it refreshing to see that coming back to Husky Football as the program is rebuilt? Even though the new coaching staff wasn't on the sideline, it just felt like all Huskies and their fans, whether at home watching on TV or at Candlestick in the City by the Bay, were soaking up a celebration of the change that is coming. It's already a very good New Year.

Comments

• LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member Posts: 13,311
    I know you're being sarcastic but it wasn't played at candlestick and its not 2014 yet

I was baffled to see a well prepared team with only half the staff, lets keep tui
  • digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,479
    Tailgater said:

Not sure how good a bowl opponent we could expect BYU to be........ the blue coogs lost to Utah, but so did the Tree.

Bronco Mendenhall has .713 winning pct and was 6-2 in bowl games going into last night. BYU is always a tough win because the Mormons convinced the NCAA that they should receive special treatment due to their religion. I mean shit, Taysom Hill is a 23 yr old "Sophomore." There's a big difference both mentally and physically between a 23 yr old Sophomore and a 19 yr old Sophomore. I think the Huskies played extraordinary, especially given everything going on around them and all things considered. Props to them.

• Homebrew_DawgHomebrew_Dawg Member Posts: 1,650
    I enjoyed watching a Husky football game for the first time in many years because the outcome of this game didn't affect my expectations for the program's future. I am so happy Sark is gone and UW has a real HC going forward that I didn't care about this game. A dark cloud has been lifted.

It is going to be a long off-season waiting to see the team Petersen brings forth next season. The potential looks very good because the Huskies have underperformed the last 4 years due to inept coaching. The talent (except for the lines) has been adequate to contend for conference titles. There should be no more middling 5-4 conference records going forward. I think Petersen is very shrewd and would not have taken the UW HC position unless he knows he can make a significant difference.