Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Coping with death of dear ones

What's the best advice you have gotten to get through it?

Comments

• jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,516
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,379
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    We already saying UW football is officially dead? Let us wait until the opening game loss to Michigan, at least.

T's and P's though.
  • SECDAWGSECDAWG Member Posts: 5,004
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Time. It takes a lot of time. Time is your friend. Takes a long time to get over the loss
    Of a loved one.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Never an easy thing for anyone.

Ts and Ps man.

For real.
  • section8section8 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,581
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Time
    Do what feels right for you. Everyone has a different process.
  • jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,516
    Standard Supporter
    All great stuff. Thank you.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,510
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I guess I was lucky that my Ma and Pa died at a ripe old age. I missed getting to see my Dad at the hospital by a few minutes. Bro in law's fault that I held a grudge on for years. Lucky for me they lived in Yuma and I was in SD so drove and saw them many times during his last year. I moved back up here and he rushed up here in the middle of the summer (which he never would do) to die. So I actually took it well.

My ma died many years later and was old. She was suffering from Alzheimer's and other stuff so it was a blessing. But she went out fighting, I might still have some bruises.

My sister dying shook me up the most and a brother that just passed away 8 weeks ago was not a big deal as he was on disability for the past 41 years due to a serious accident.

So every one is different, deal with it the best you can. I found laffing to be the best. Me and my other brother chuckle it up many times reminiscing about those that are gone. Sorry about it just the same.
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    LebamDawg said:

I guess I was lucky that my Ma and Pa died at a ripe old age. I missed getting to see my Dad at the hospital by a few minutes. Bro in law's fault that I held a grudge on for years. Lucky for me they lived in Yuma and I was in SD so drove and saw them many times during his last year. I moved back up here and he rushed up here in the middle of the summer (which he never would do) to die. So I actually took it well.

My ma died many years later and was old. She was suffering from Alzheimer's and other stuff so it was a blessing. But she went out fighting, I might still have some bruises.

My sister dying shook me up the most and a brother that just passed away 8 weeks ago was not a big deal as he was on disability for the past 41 years due to a serious accident.

So every one is different, deal with it the best you can. I found laffing to be the best. Me and my other brother chuckle it up many times reminiscing about those that are gone. Sorry about it just the same.

My Dad deteriorated rapidly from congestive heart failure at age 57 but we were all still holding onto hope. They thought he was stable enough at 15% heart function to have at least a chance to wait out the transplant list.

He had to spend a night in the hospital after a few rough days. They adjusted meds and sent him home. My sister even unloaded her 3 year old son on him the next day.

My mom died a few months after I graduated high school. The night she died, I had the most vivid dream where I walked into her hospital room and the nurse was disconnecting the IVs and various sensors. Mom was on the bed but also standing next to me and told me it was ok that it was time for her to go. I woke up in the morning with a sense of relief and calm. It's still probably the most vivid dream I've ever had and swear it was mom's spirit telling me to not worry.

I'm a skeptic pinko commie heathen who doesnt believe in much of anything on the spiritual side, yet I had similar feelings about the dreams I had with Dad. I guess if I'm going to believe something, it's that his spirit does reside somewhere in the deep recesses of my mind. I wish I could call on it at will, but I at least feel fortunate that it comes to me in my dreams sometimes.
  • Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,235

My mom died a few months after I graduated high school. The night she died, I had the most vivid dream where I walked into her hospital room and the nurse was disconnecting the IVs and various sensors. Mom was on the bed but also standing next to me and told me it was ok that it was time for her to go. I woke up in the morning with a sense of relief and calm. It's still probably the most vivid dream I've ever had and swear it was mom's spirit telling me to not worry.

My Dad was pretty healthy and living on his own in his early 80’s, he fell and was down for two days until his neighbor called me (I was out of town for work), and I told him to break in...hospital, followed by a “rehabilitation” center (nursing home)...first time I went to see him, I sat in the parking lot and cried like a baby. Couple months go by, he goes back to hospital...I see him in the morning, come back after dinner, walked in, and he was dead. I was alone with him for about five minutes, and the Doc walked in and almost shit his pants. He had been trying to call me to let me know. He was a mess, and I was completely calm. I know now it was because Pops knew (as did I) that he was never coming home...
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Ah shit sorry bro. I had a few of those last year. I have a feeling I'll have another in the next year.

Not fun stuff.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,650
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Because this is HH, I wouldn't be doing my job unless I also disclosed this therapeutic coping mechanism:

Masturbate furiously.