Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Why John Donovan is misrepresented

betadawgbetadawg Member Posts: 30
The consensus by most fans this year has been that John Donovan is a bad hire mainly because of his two years at Penn State. Penn State was BAD offensively 2 years under Donovan. I thought it was a terrible hire because of this. But upon further examination I have concluded that no offensive coordinator in the world could have been successful with Christian Hackenberg at QB.

Hackenberg was not bad because of John Donovan. He was one of the most inaccurate QBs in college football. PFF did not have a draftable grade on him because of his astonishing inaccuracy. Also, his decision making was terrible, he often threw the ball into double coverage. The media hyped him into a 2nd round pick because of his arm strength and recruiting hype. But PFF was right, Hackenberg went on to have maybe the worst NFL career of any QB ever. It didn’t matter who coached him, he consistently sucked. Hackenberg did not make a single appearance in the NFL as a 2nd rounder, he was out of the league in just two years.

To make matters worse Hackenberg was playing behind a horrific oline. An oline that would give up sacks with 2 man rushes. They had converted dlinemen playing there because of the sanctions and scholarship restrictions. Bottomline is I don’t think any OC in the world can take a horrible QB who is playing behind a horrible oline and make it good.

I still don’t think it was a great hire, but I don’t hold his experience in Penn State against him anymore. He was a solid OC at Vanderbilt, doing well when you take into account the talent gap Vanderbilt was facing every week in the SEC.

Here is an article going over how horrible Hackenberg’s overall career was.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/9/5/17823486/christian-hackenberg-new-york-jets-cincinnati-bengals-sad

Here is an article going over why PFF thinks that Hackenberg should not be drafted.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-why-pff-doesnt-have-a-draftable-grade-on-christian-hackenberg

Am I a doog?

Comments

• betadawgbetadawg Member Posts: 30

betadawg said:

The consensus by most fans this year has been that John Donovan is a bad hire mainly because of his two years at Penn State. Penn State was BAD offensively 2 years under Donovan. I thought it was a terrible hire because of this. But upon further examination I have concluded that no offensive coordinator in the world could have been successful with Christian Hackenberg at QB.

Hackenberg was not bad because of John Donovan. He was one of the most inaccurate QBs in college football. PFF did not have a draftable grade on him because of his astonishing inaccuracy. Also, his decision making was terrible, he often threw the ball into double coverage. The media hyped him into a 2nd round pick because of his arm strength and recruiting hype. But PFF was right, Hackenberg went on to have maybe the worst NFL career of any QB ever. It didn’t matter who coached him, he consistently sucked. Hackenberg did not make a single appearance in the NFL as a 2nd rounder, he was out of the league in just two years.

To make matters worse Hackenberg was playing behind a horrific oline. An oline that would give up sacks with 2 man rushes. They had converted dlinemen playing there because of the sanctions and scholarship restrictions. Bottomline is I don’t think any OC in the world can take a horrible QB who is playing behind a horrible oline and make it good.

I still don’t think it was a great hire, but I don’t hold his experience in Penn State against him anymore. He was a solid OC at Vanderbilt, doing well when you take into account the talent gap Vanderbilt was facing every week in the SEC.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/9/5/17823486/christian-hackenberg-new-york-jets-cincinnati-bengals-sad

Here is an article going over why PFF thinks that Hackenberg should not be drafted.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-why-pff-doesnt-have-a-draftable-grade-on-christian-hackenberg

Am I a doog?

The guy was an assistant to the running backs coach for the past four years. By his own admission he was shocked that Jimmy called and offered an OC job.
    Totally agree he was a bad hire. All I am saying is we should disregard his experience at Penn State when evaluating his experience. He is still a bad hire cause he was a marginally good OC at Vanderbilt and then he went on to have the illustrious post of Assistant RB coach. I just think that all the stuff that gets thrown at him for his Penn State days is unfair, making him a slightly better bad hire.

betadawg said:

Am I a doog?

The guy was an assistant to the running backs coach for the past four years. By his own admission he was shocked that Jimmy called and offered an OC job.
    Totally agree he was a bad hire. Im just saying we should criticize him for everything but his Penn State days. He was just a scapegoat for that whole situation.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,367 Founders Club
    betadawg said:

betadawg said:

Am I a doog?

Totally agree he was a bad hire. Im just saying we should criticize him for everything but his Penn State days. He was just a scapegoat for that whole situation.
    With all due respect, if you agree he's a bad hire then why are we debating the details?
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,925 Swaye's Wigwam
    He was a bad hire.

He could still turn out to be good.

There isn't a preponderance of evidence to conclude hell be bad or good.

If he turns out good he wont be a bad hire but a brilliant one

I'm expecting something in between bad and good, leaning toward the good side. I think he'll surprise.

betadawg said:

betadawg said:

Am I a doog?

With all due respect, if you agree he's a bad hire then why are we debating the details?
    Cause im bored and there are degrees to bad hires.

Not all bad hires are created equal!
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,851
    edited May 2020
    The dooging is strong with this one

Although to be fair it's possible Herm would hire him too

As a rb coach
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,591 Standard Supporter
    I'm a Penn State fan by marriage.
    Hackenberg was massively hyped and looked the part, but then in games sucked. He was there during the rape sanctions so the team was below what it should have been, but they lost to Temple by 17 points while he was there, which should have gotten him and Franklin fired on the 50.

Daesean Hamilton played with Hackenberg. Donovan took over the offense in Hackenberg's 2nd year. Hackenberg went from 59%/20/10 as a Frosh to 56%/12/15 as a soph. Great job Donovan!
    whlinder said:

I'm a Penn State fan by marriage.
    Hackenberg was massively hyped and looked the part, but then in games sucked. He was there during the rape sanctions so the team was below what it should have been, but they lost to Temple by 17 points while he was there, which should have gotten him and Franklin fired on the 50.

Daesean Hamilton played with Hackenberg. Donovan took over the offense in Hackenberg's 2nd year. Hackenberg went from 59%/20/10 as a Frosh to 56%/12/15 as a soph. Great job Donovan!

Absolutely this did happen. However this is clearly a case of someone that had some sort of mental breakdown. If you watch the tape he is wildly innacurate when he was making the same throws as a true freshman. Also, evidenced by his historically bad NFL career, Hackenberg is not a product of Donovan. Lots of very capable coaches tried to fix him to catastrophic results.

I guess you can argue that Donovan was somehow the catalyst to all this but I just don't see any evidence. In his Tweet declaring for the draft he thanked everyone on the staff besides James Franklin. Pretty sure if he were to blame anyone it would be Franklin not Donovan.

Once again my argument is lets judge him by his Vanderbilt and NFL career and not Penn State. Still a bad hire to hire a marginally successful OC at Vanderbilt with some Assistant experience to become the OC at UW. But imo it's several magnitudes better than what a lot of people are saying, that the reason Penn State sucked those two years was Donovan.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,367 Founders Club
    chuck said:

He was a bad hire.

I'm expecting something in between bad and good, leaning toward the good side. I think he'll surprise.

• 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,523 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2020
    Swaye said:

betadawg said:

Am I a doog?

This.

It's the equivalent of finding a janitor at General Motors and asking him to be Vice President of R&D at Ford.

Total joke.
    You come up with the one analogy that actually makes the Donovan hire sound good!?...

• whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,591 Standard Supporter

We went over this ad nauseum when the hire was made.

That 2015 Penn State team had Saquon Barkley, Chris Godwin, Daesean Hamilton, Mike Gesicki, and Donovan Smith at OT.

Donovan should have been able to QB that team himself to better than 5.2 yards per play.

They had a top 10 defense by ypp and went 7-6. Think about that Husky fans that have been frustrated with our offense the last four years.

And in 2016 with Trace McSorely as a redshirt Soph and Joe Moorehead as OC they went wild and were probably better than us at the end of the year, but had a last second road loss @ Pitt and got blown out by Harbaugh early in the year. If Sam Darnold didn't live for moments like the Rose Bowl they would have won in Pasadena.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,925 Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

He was a bad hire.

I promise nothing. I was careful to say little to nothing over the course of five short paragraphs. I thought I did a good job.

He was a bad hire. I wont argue that until i see a good offense in 2021.
  • FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,744
    whlinder said:

We went over this ad nauseum when the hire was made.

That 2015 Penn State team had Saquon Barkley, Chris Godwin, Daesean Hamilton, Mike Gesicki, and Donovan Smith at OT.

Donovan should have been able to QB that team himself to better than 5.2 yards per play.

They had a top 10 defense by ypp and went 7-6. Think about that Husky fans that have been frustrated with our offense the last four years.

And in 2016 with Trace McSorely as a redshirt Soph and Joe Moorehead as OC they went wild and were probably better than us at the end of the year, but had a last second road loss @ Pitt and got blown out by Harbaugh early in the year. If Sam Darnold didn't live for moments like the Rose Bowl they would have won in Pasadena.
    Good point. Of course McSorley was on the team in 2015 as well. Those who want to use the Hackenburg excuse should also have to explain why Donovan couldn’t just play the best QB if Hackenburg was the problem.
  • QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,290 Swaye's Wigwam
    Why does Moorhead always get a pass for his Miss State offenses?