Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Basically this is 2012 all over again

2»

Comments

• TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

I will say that the local angle that gets played from time to time whether football or basketball of feeling jaded if they aren't told that they are special first, second, third, all the way to last is annoying and borders on entitlement.

When I hear the "I don't feel as wanted" angle what I'm really hearing is "I'm looking for a reason to leave and blaming the coaches is right up at the top of the list."

Tequilla always blames the kids.
    Couldn't be more wrong

You think a kid in Alabama or Louisiana gets bent out of shape if they don't initially receive an offer from Alabama or LSU? You think they sit there and say "oh, they don't care about the local kids?"

If you want to be a national program, then you are obligated to try to get the best recruiting class that you can. For local guys that are top level recruits, we should be on those guys immediately and made huge priorities.

But Tier B local guys, it's a delicate line. Take them too early and you're looking at potentially not bringing in the class that you think you can get. If you go after them too early you miss out on top guys and likely don't have the roster that you need to beat the blue bloods. Miss on the blue chip recruits and piss off the Tier B local guys and then you are fucked.

Recruiting is a business ... and it's true on both edges of the equation.
    who are you categorizing as Tier B's in this years in state class? Everyone outside JTT and Emeka?
    How many WRs are we expecting to take this year?

When your top targets are Egbuka and Franklin ... you're kind of in a holding pattern on how many committable offers you have outstanding until it's clear that they are going elsewhere
  • UDubHusky23UDubHusky23 Member Posts: 889
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

I will say that the local angle that gets played from time to time whether football or basketball of feeling jaded if they aren't told that they are special first, second, third, all the way to last is annoying and borders on entitlement.

When I hear the "I don't feel as wanted" angle what I'm really hearing is "I'm looking for a reason to leave and blaming the coaches is right up at the top of the list."

Couldn't be more wrong

You think a kid in Alabama or Louisiana gets bent out of shape if they don't initially receive an offer from Alabama or LSU? You think they sit there and say "oh, they don't care about the local kids?"

If you want to be a national program, then you are obligated to try to get the best recruiting class that you can. For local guys that are top level recruits, we should be on those guys immediately and made huge priorities.

But Tier B local guys, it's a delicate line. Take them too early and you're looking at potentially not bringing in the class that you think you can get. If you go after them too early you miss out on top guys and likely don't have the roster that you need to beat the blue bloods. Miss on the blue chip recruits and piss off the Tier B local guys and then you are fucked.

who are you categorizing as Tier B's in this years in state class? Everyone outside JTT and Emeka?

When your top targets are Egbuka and Franklin ... you're kind of in a holding pattern on how many committable offers you have outstanding until it's clear that they are going elsewhere
    WR is interesting because they were in the running for the two 5 stars? But what about other positions? Just speaking in the case of Julien Simon even if he's a Tier B, do you trust that Gregory can get somebody better? Probably not so I don't think your Tier system applies for all positions. Plus Julien is also an instate kid who's best friends with JTT. Why not sell out to get him in early? We not getting Calvert or anyone else higher rated.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Couldn't be more wrong

WR is interesting because they were in the running for the two 5 stars? But what about other positions? Just speaking in the case of Julien Simon even if he's a Tier B, do you trust that Gregory can get somebody better? Probably not so I don't think your Tier system applies for all positions. Plus Julien is also an instate kid who's best friends with JTT. Why not sell out to get him in early? We not getting Calvert or anyone else higher rated.
    I don't disagree with you at all

I understand some of the feelings on Simon perhaps being a bit of a tweener without a known position, but he's someone that is pretty easy to lock up as an in-state guy for the reasons you mentioned. Regardless of how much the recruiting rankings matter vs being fluff, it plays right into the narrative of "not caring" when you have a guy ranked as highly as Simon seemingly get passed over a bit.

Your whole point on Gregory is fair ... but missing the point. You don't dumb down what your expectations are to cover for someone that can't do what's expected. You replace the person that can't do what is expected with someone that can.
  • UDubHusky23UDubHusky23 Member Posts: 889
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Couldn't be more wrong

I don't disagree with you at all

I understand some of the feelings on Simon perhaps being a bit of a tweener without a known position, but he's someone that is pretty easy to lock up as an in-state guy for the reasons you mentioned. Regardless of how much the recruiting rankings matter vs being fluff, it plays right into the narrative of "not caring" when you have a guy ranked as highly as Simon seemingly get passed over a bit.

Your whole point on Gregory is fair ... but missing the point. You don't dumb down what your expectations are to cover for someone that can't do what's expected. You replace the person that can't do what is expected with someone that can.
    Oh no doubt! I wanted KB and Gregory gone as well. Whether it was upper campus or the AD saying we needed to keep them or what not will most likely set us back if we fail this recruiting cycle.

Even if Lake was able to replace both of them does he had the connections to hire better? His hires in Donovan, Cato and Terrence Brown are very underwhelming
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,528 Swaye's Wigwam

As an FYI, shit isn’t too sunny at Oregon for the moment.

* Lost the spring game, which is where they get a lot of unofficials and have the commits recruit for them. They were expecting 40k for the game, to show recruits that they care more than anyone else in the conference.

* Donte Williams and that guy from ASU are negatively recruiting hard. Staff thinks USC is doing some tampering and shady shit, but what else is new for USC.

* Not having visits now is negating the big advantage of the facilities.

* The new WR coach/recruiting stud hasn’t had a chance to get going.

USC has been benefiting from this virus as much as anyone.

HAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAHHAAAAAAHAHAHAHAAAAA! Oh man, you can't make this stuff up! Let me break out my tiny violin.

• dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,781 Swaye's Wigwam

So if it's 2012 again, does that mean we'll purge half of the staff, bring in a bunch of recruiters, and land Korey Foreman?

It means we’ll have a bunch of 3 stars and then a couple of 4 stars and flip an instate guy at the last moment and then it’ll start a run of a ass kicking by Clemson in the cfp semi then a rose bowl then a Las Vegas bowl loss as jimmy no Ballz looses passion for coaching and surprisingly retires out of no where.
  • FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,744
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Couldn't be more wrong

Lol way to change tack. Glad you realize going at the entitlement angle was real old, white, and out of touch.

It’s on the coaches bottom line to do their job.
  • dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,781 Swaye's Wigwam

So if it's 2012 again, does that mean we'll purge half of the staff, bring in a bunch of recruiters, and land Korey Foreman?

It means we’ll have a bunch of 3 stars and then a couple of 4 stars and flip an instate guy at the last moment and then it’ll start a run of a ass kicking by Clemson in the cfp semi then a rose bowl then a Las Vegas bowl loss as jimmy no Ballz looses passion for coaching and surprisingly retires out of no where.
    Another 3 star woof
  • BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365

Another 3 star woof
    He's a good get. Barring injury, he likely ends up a 4 star. Malloe never boos the kids.