Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Kyle Bass on China and the coronavirus

UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,309
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Swaye's Wigwam

Comments

• Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I thought this was the guy in Tenacious D, but it isn't. So not watching.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    TLDW if lockdown lasts past 60 days we are FUCT. Also, reparations and/or repercussions options to deal with the CCP. Cancel treasury debt held by the CCP and laugh.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter
    I listened to it. I didn't understand it. But it sounds pretty bad.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

TLDW if lockdown lasts past 60 days we are FUCT. Also, reparations and/or repercussions options to deal with the CCP. Cancel treasury debt held by the CCP and laugh.

Sooo... I was right.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

At least you tried and that's what matters.
    So let me if I synthesized this properly: Bass saying that HK is 8x leveraged in banking system. That means that loan value is 8 times more than current fair market value of assets.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2020

So let me if I synthesized this properly: Bass saying that HK is 8x leveraged in banking system. That means that loan value is 8 times more than current fair market value of assets.
    Time at which he's talking about that?

Off hand, I believe he's referring to the fact that the "assets" on the balance sheets (aka what the banks claim as the value of what they hold which includes loans and their collateral) is about 8x bigger than real gdp (which is an indicator of "real value"). Short hand you could say that debt to GDP is 8 to 1 although that's not quite the complete story.

In other words, how, without bubble-esque leverage, can the bank assets be worth that much?

Think 2008 and people taking loans out on equity of their homes which were then "valued on paper" at a high rate. All that leverage creates bubbles.

The outlier of that of course is that the CCP is behind a lot of this and HK is a financial hub so Who Fucking Knows what the reality is behind those finances. There's going to be some kind of reckoning eventually with all of these imbalances but if you know what that's going to look like then let's start a hedge fund my guy.

I wonder what @insinceredawg, @HHusky, and @BearsWiin think with their deep understanding of economics.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Off hand, I believe he's referring to the fact that the "assets" on the balance sheets (aka what the banks claim as the value of what they hold which includes loans and their collateral) is about 8x bigger than real gdp (which is an indicator of "real value"). Short hand you could say that debt to GDP is 8 to 1 although that's not quite the complete story.

In other words, how, without bubble-esque leverage, can the bank assets be worth that much?

Think 2008 and people taking loans out on equity of their homes which were then "valued on paper" at a high rate. All that leverage creates bubbles.

The outlier of that of course is that the CCP is behind a lot of this and HK is a financial hub so Who Fucking Knows what the reality is behind those finances. There's going to be some kind of reckoning eventually with all of these imbalances but if you know what that's going to look like then let's start a hedge fund my guy.

I wonder what @insinceredawg, @HHusky, and @BearsWiin think with their deep understanding of economics.
    Yeah, that's what I meant n stuff.

Honestly.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Follow up, about the 50:30 mark Jan says, "Tell it to me like I'm five."

If you are leveraged at x10 times and 10% of loans go bad, that's basically a bigger overnight contraction than your entire GDP grows by in a whole year.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

If you are leveraged at x10 times and 10% of loans go bad, that's basically a bigger overnight contraction than your entire GDP grows by in a whole year.
    I guess I'll need it like I'm 4, but I appreciated their effort.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 31,026
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

And tell them they owe double that amount.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,237
    Founders Club

I guess I'll need it like I'm 4, but I appreciated their effort.

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,237
    Founders Club
    I'm halfway through the Bass interview. Lots of insight.
  • Options
    LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,130
    Founders Club
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    Standard Supporter