Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

One of my pet peeves

RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,443
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam

OK they got stimulus money. Not shocking. But the endowment. The interest alone pays tuition for the students. We could have "free" college thanks to private donations. But they just sit on it and jack the tuition because the government guarantees the loan.

There is a direct correlation between federally backed student loans and rising tuition

Comments

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,875
    The Throbber doesn't 'donate' to public education institutions.

Especially ones supposedly funded by a State whose paramount mission per its Constitution is education.

Maybe cut a few dickhead diversity chiefs who like to run their mouth and operate in a fiscally responsible manner.

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,443
    Swaye's Wigwam

Especially ones supposedly funded by a State whose paramount mission per its Constitution is education.

Maybe cut a few dickhead diversity chiefs who like to run their mouth and operate in a fiscally responsible manner.

Harvard is private except when they aren't

My point is even the UW has a big endowment. Why are we? as taxpayers encouraging even higher tuition by subsidizing it with more tax dollars above what we already send?

Public school tuition rose along with Ivy tuition.

Because it could

Lot of people like to write checks to the old alma mater. Let them
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I think of someone pulled up the hood on Harvard you would find that they drive a ton of the leftist bs Especially globalism. They are very powerful. I mean there are a 100 countries whose GDP doesn’t equal its endowment.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

My point is even the UW has a big endowment. Why are we? as taxpayers encouraging even higher tuition by subsidizing it with more tax dollars above what we already send?

Because it could

Yup - saying the same thing. Only reiterating no donations to state institutions. Those are called taxes.

One thing I know about gubmint institutions, if they have or smell money, they spend it. They spend it when they don't have it or smell it. It's what they do.

Giving public institutions MORE money is like giving a heroin to an addict. They just can't help but mainline it.

If people want to burn money and write checks to their alma mater, have at it. Not my deal but if they like to light money on fire to show how big their dick is or the warm fuzzy they feel, no (fore)skin on my throbber.

• Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,244
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Put a diversity "professor" in charge. Shirly he/she/it can make it all bitter
  • Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,244
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited April 2020

Because it could

Because the teachers and administrarors need to be multimillionaires too
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I'd like to see some kind of legislation that combats the administrative bloat universities continue to pump air into. Maybe something like a tiered system of federal incentives for schools that can achieve certain ratios of teaching staff to admin staff. Right now the system as a whole pays more to the latter, while the rest of the world has it properly flipped.

That's just one start, but it would seem to be a fucking easy law to get passed with minimal partisan bickering.
  • Options

I'd like to see some kind of legislation that combats the administrative bloat universities continue to pump air into. Maybe something like a tiered system of federal incentives for schools that can achieve certain ratios of teaching staff to admin staff. Right now the system as a whole pays more to the latter, while the rest of the world has it properly flipped.

That's just one start, but it would seem to be a fucking easy law to get passed with minimal partisan bickering.

It's a never ending circle jerk. The administrative burdens put on universities for governing grants, complying with federal statutes, etc. leads to the bloat. Then the state piles on with their own set of must-dos so everybody is treated 'equally' (not equitably, EQUALLY).

So it's like the fox is watching the hen house. They feed one another enough make-busy work to pretty well put the primary purpose of a university in the background...you know, educate the students.

• Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Yes!!! More regulation that would require a bloated bureaucracy to administer that would probably cost more than any cost savings achieved.

Makes about as much sense as locking the country down until everyone gets tested.

But let’s think about this in ya know, economics. College is expensive and getting more expensive because of inorganic demand. Any swinging Dick or bouncing Betty with a 3.0 can borrow $40,000 per year to party and sometimes go to their Sociology and Algebra classes. It’s not real money to them or their parents. Only the school and the tax payer.

How about we make Dick and Betty prove themselves at Green River for a couple years before we invest the big bucks on them. If Betty has a 3.5 in HS, let’s pay for her CC. And then if she achieves a 3.5 in CC, then she can get some grants, loans etc.to finish her BS. And if she does better than 3.5 getting her BS, we can look at some help for grad school.

All of the sudden, all incoming Freshman at a university would have skin in the game with earned schollies, grants, college funds, daddy’s $$$ etc. But no student loan. They would have to earn that elsewhere first before we invest in them.

And boom. You have organic demand restored and tuition would come back down to earth and the taxpayer would save hundreds of millions per year.