Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

One of the worst coaching failures I've ever seen

GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
WSU had a first down with barely over 2 minutes to go, up 8, and CSU had no times out left. All WSU had to do was to kneel on the ball. Unbelievably they ran a QB option on 1st down and the QB fumbled. Oh, but wait, they escaped and he was called down on replay. So now with a reprieve they'll kneel on it, right? No, they snap the ball with 30 seconds on the play clock and the RB fumbles. No doubt about that one. CSU scores with about 30 seconds to go and gets the 2 pointer (called on replay). Now tied at 45. CSU kicks off and WSU fumbles the kickoff and CSU wins on a field goal.

All WSU had to do was kneel on it. I'd fire Leach right now if I were the AD.

Comments

• dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    they wouldn't ask for a lot, just put a headset on one of them, suddenly you'll be using timeouts correctly, knowing when to kneel down, etc. It would be so fucking easy to do
  • dhdawg said:

they wouldn't ask for a lot, just put a headset on one of them, suddenly you'll be using timeouts correctly, knowing when to kneel down, etc. It would be so fucking easy to do

This actually scares me as a Seahawks fan as last years ending to the first half of the Atlanta game cost the Hawks 3 point. Carroll is famous for taking a guaranteed 3 points worst case scenario and turning that into zero points to end the half.

Wilson has bailed them out this year a few times but I keep waiting for that bite us in the ass. Hopefully not this year.

Sark is a bad coach but he's generally good at late game situations. What I mean is typically the game ends with the Huskies having the ball last even if it's in defeat. UW is also good at closing out teams with getting that key first down.

While as I mentioned before I think Carroll is a good coach but he's horrible with clock management. Which is what makes coaching/clock management so interesting. I just brought up someone who is pretty decent at it but a bad coach. While also bringing up someone who is a good coach but terrible at it.

I think Leach is an average at best coach who is terrible at clock management.
  • CaptainPJCaptainPJ Member Posts: 2,986

dhdawg said:

This actually scares me as a Seahawks fan as last years ending to the first half of the Atlanta game cost the Hawks 3 point. Carroll is famous for taking a guaranteed 3 points worst case scenario and turning that into zero points to end the half.

Wilson has bailed them out this year a few times but I keep waiting for that bite us in the ass. Hopefully not this year.

Sark is a bad coach but he's generally good at late game situations. What I mean is typically the game ends with the Huskies having the ball last even if it's in defeat. UW is also good at closing out teams with getting that key first down.

While as I mentioned before I think Carroll is a good coach but he's horrible with clock management. Which is what makes coaching/clock management so interesting. I just brought up someone who is pretty decent at it but a bad coach. While also bringing up someone who is a good coach but terrible at it.

Riiiiiiight.

Drunk posting rulz

Go coog
  • MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    This was a horrific ending but UW is in no position to talk after the Apple Cup of 2012....

• CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,144 Founders Club
    MisterEm said:

This was a horrific ending but UW is in no position to talk after the Apple Cup of 2012....

UW was up 18 going into the 4th quarter. WSU was up 15 with less than 4 minutes on the clock (I think it's probably less than that). UW just got outcoached and outplayed in that game. WSU had the worst ever clock management/most idiotic game management ever seen.
  • dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326

dhdawg said:

I know exactly what you're referencing. It's 3rd and 15 from the 30 with 15 seconds left, I'm almost yelling for them to kick the fg but he has to try another play. It once almost cost them but unger bailed the out with a holding penalty
  • mobeymobey Member Posts: 3,254
    edited December 2013
    We can all laugh at the Cougs - and I am - but this your numbers aren't right.

I'm reading stories by "experts" that are bullshit too.

The Cougs could not have knelt out the clock.

There was about 220 left on first down. They could have run it down to about a minute by kneeling, and then they would have had to punt.

If they had done that and CSU had scored, we'd be equally unbelieving that they didn't even try to get a first down.

What Leach did wasn't a mistake (other than hiking it with 20 seconds which was inexcusable) - a first down ends the game - but how in the world do you fumble on 3 consecutive plays?
    Gladstone said:

WSU had a first down with barely over 2 minutes to go, up 8, and CSU had no times out left. All WSU had to do was to kneel on the ball. Unbelievably they ran a QB option on 1st down and the QB fumbled. Oh, but wait, they escaped and he was called down on replay. So now with a reprieve they'll kneel on it, right? No, they snap the ball with 30 seconds on the play clock and the RB fumbles. No doubt about that one. CSU scores with about 30 seconds to go and gets the 2 pointer (called on replay). Now tied at 45. CSU kicks off and WSU fumbles the kickoff and CSU wins on a field goal.

• TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,841 Swaye's Wigwam
    Swing your sword!

• dtddtd Member Posts: 4,625 Standard Supporter
    mobey said:

We can all laugh at the Cougs - and I am - but this your numbers aren't right.

I'm reading stories by "experts" that are bullshit too.

The Cougs could not have knelt out the clock.

There was about 220 left on first down. They could have run it down to about a minute by kneeling, and then they would have had to punt.

If they had done that and CSU had scored, we'd be equally unbelieving that they didn't even try to get a first down.

What Leach did wasn't a mistake (other than hiking it with 20 seconds which was inexcusable) - a first down ends the game - but how in the world do you fumble on 3 consecutive plays?

Gladstone said:

40 second play clock * 3 + whatever time ticks off during the plays themselves. And don't forget the 2 incompletions WSU threw AFTER CSU called their first time out. They could have forced CSU to burn all 3 with 5-6 minutes left, but instead left them with TWO.