Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Movie hawt take

1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,524 Swaye's Wigwam
This country has an obsession with mobsters and mobster movies/shows. Look how far The Sopranos just made it in the tourney, and didn't a Godfather movie win the movie tourney outright?

Watched Heat again last night, and I came away once again with the same impression I've had after the other ten times or so I've watched it: If there's a better crime movie, I haven't seen it. Acting/writing is top notch (Dennis Haysbert, the Allstate guy, is super underrated in his small role here), it's technically brilliant (this was film and not digital, so not sure if Michael Mann was already doing his high shutter angle filming at this point, but most of the movie takes place at night and looks perfect), and pacing is a slow burn that pays off if you stay with it. Also, it's not just a movie in which "stuff happens, then it ends." Characters are well developed, there's an excellent narrative arc, an amazing amount of underlying tension throughout the second half, and there's a theme of the interconnectedness of the "good guy" and the "bad guy" and the blurred lines between.

The Godfather can't carry Heat's jock strap. Fight me.

Comments

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,960 Founders Club
    I don’t know if Sopranos can get past Southpark.

• ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    Heat is my favorite movie of all time. It’s a masterpiece.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,357 Founders Club

I don’t know if Sopranos can get past Southpark.

Southpark is a goddamn buzzsaw. Champ.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,552 Standard Supporter
    edited April 2020
    You know I love you all (not in a gay way...most of the time) but let's be clear, this is a popularity contest among the shows put on the ballot.

There's no fucking way South Park is the best television show of all time by any 'normal' metric or learned critics.

Sopranos probably isn't either.

You know I love you all (not in a gay way...most of the time) but let's be clear, this is a popularity contest among the shows put on the ballot.

There's no fucking way South Park is the best television show of all time by any 'normal' metric or learned critics.

I was very clear in the tournament disclaimer on this point.

Then we good.

Lady Antebellum good

Then we good.

Lady Antebellum good
    @Tequilla was the country tournament Czar with some input from me and @Swaye . Point your chubby purple fingers elsewhere
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,524 Swaye's Wigwam

What's a "normal" metric? I can think of several.
  • MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    I'm glad you posted this because I've never seen Heat...will definitely watch it now.

That said, I have rewatched Scarface and I could describe it the exact same way - amazing in every respect...including the sensational 80s digital keyboard music soundtrack. It is worth a re-watch if you ever happen to find yourself stuck inside for an extended period of time.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,852

Viewers, ratings, amalgamation of critics scores, whatever....go ahead. Doubtful either South Park or Sopranos makes top 5 unless you're using the filter of HBO/Comedy Central shows only.

• MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    Heat doesn't show up on any of the platforms I pay for so I guess I'll wait til it eventually does.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,524 Swaye's Wigwam

Viewers, ratings, amalgamation of critics scores, whatever....go ahead. Doubtful either South Park or Sopranos makes top 5 unless you're using the filter of HBO/Comedy Central shows only.

South Park has had a 23 year run of consistently high quality, which is something no other narrative series in history can claim. Of those 23 years, they've been nominated for Emmys 19 of them and won five. Think about that: In the age of political correctness run amok, a show won five Emmys--voted on by Hollywood types--that:
    • Called out Catholic rape coverups
    • Called out Mormonism
    • Called out Scientology
    • Made fun of evangelicals
    • Made fun of Jews
    • Called out militant Islamists and showed Muhammad
    • Had an episode featuring "The Super Best Friends" in which Jesus, Moses, Muhammad, Joseph Smith, Buddah, Krishna, Laozi, and Sea Man fight evil
    • Called vegetarians pussies
    • Called Tom Cruise a fudge packer, made fun of Barbara Striesand, made fun of ultra liberal Hollywood in general, Russel Crowe, Kane, Snookie, Paris Hilton, etc.
    • Featured the characters Big Gay Al and Mr. Slave
    • Made fun of Al Gore
    • Made fun of Prius drivers
    • Made Mr. Garrison's sexual identity crisis a running joke
    • Had the characters Timmy, Jimmy, Nathan, and Mimsy, who collectively brought us cripple fighting for entertainment, using steroids to dominate the Special Olympics, and summer camp at Lake Tardicaca
    • Had a Trump analog fucking the Canadian prime minister to death
    • Made fun of film festivals and Robert Redford
    In between fun harmless romps (and some of the funniest episodes were just that), the show was chock full o' political and social commentary in a way that's dangerous if you're looking for love from Hollywood (or fanatical disciples of either political party). For over two decades, they mercilessly mocked and offended the very people that create official "greatest shows" lists and nominate and vote on awards, yet they consistently were nominated for such awards, named to such lists, and sometimes brought home hardware because the show's genius is too difficult to dismiss.

If all that makes a show the greatest is inclusion on a bunch of old Hollywood circle jerk of critics' lists, then I guess nothing's good but Gay Cowboys Eating Pudding, in black and white, filmed in front of a live studio audience.

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    I do love mobster movies and shows. Most men do. That said, I don’t think Sopranos is an all time great show. It’s good, but not great. I have no desire to watch it again.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,158

South Park has had a 23 year run of consistently high quality, which is something no other narrative series in history can claim. Of those 23 years, they've been nominated for Emmys 19 of them and won five. Think about that: In the age of political correctness run amok, a show won five Emmys--voted on by Hollywood types--that:
    • Called out Mormonism
    • Called out Scientology
    • Made fun of Jews
    • Had an episode featuring "The Super Best Friends" in which Jesus, Moses, Muhammad, Joseph Smith, Buddah, Krishna, Laozi, and Sea Man fight evil
    • Called Tom Cruise a fudge packer, made fun of Barbara Striesand, made fun of ultra liberal Hollywood in general, Russel Crowe, Kane, Snookie, Paris Hilton, etc.
    • Made fun of Al Gore
    • Had the characters Timmy, Jimmy, Nathan, and Mimsy, who collectively brought us cripple fighting for entertainment, using steroids to dominate the Special Olympics, and summer camp at Lake Tardicaca
    In between fun harmless romps (and some of the funniest episodes were just that), the show was chock full o' political and social commentary in a way that's dangerous if you're looking for love from Hollywood (or fanatical disciples of either political party). For over two decades, they mercilessly mocked and offended the very people that create official "greatest shows" lists and nominate and vote on awards, yet they consistently were nominated for such awards, named to such lists, and sometimes brought home hardware because the show's genius is too difficult to dismiss.

If all that makes a show the greatest is inclusion on a bunch of old Hollywood circle jerk of critics' lists, then I guess nothing's good but Gay Cowboys Eating Pudding, in black and white, filmed in front of a live studio audience.

I love South Park, but let's be real and admit it has been pretty mediocre for a few years running. That doesn't detract from it's greatness.

• Called out Mormonism
    • Called out Scientology
    • Made fun of Jews
    • Made fun of Al Gore

I love South Park, but let's be real and admit it has been pretty mediocre for a few years running. That doesn't detract from it's greatness.
    It's all relative. The first 19 to 20 seasons set the bar pretty high. Even in its past-its-prime years, though, you still get Randy and Towelie selling weed to China. To be honest, I didn't even realize the show was going anymore. Two seasons running, I was pretty sure the season finale was also the series finale. Trey and Matt have been burnt out for a while, and Comedy Central keeps throwing cash at them and begging them to return. That the show even is what it is is pretty amazing considering the showrunners don't have their hearts in it.