Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

ESPN Releases Top 10 ‘Running Back U’ Programs - Oregon makes the list but UW doesn't

2»

Comments

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited April 2020

What's the criteria? First it's BCS era, then the retard trying to suck off USC and Georgia brings in "all time" guys. Herschel Walker and OJ Simpson are well pre-BCS.

Normally, _______________ U discussions center around who was good in college AND the NFL, with a focus on the latter.

As such, Wisky falls off. Historically their backs don't translate to the NFL.

When was the last time USC produced a great, or even productive, NFL back? They've had a few in the BCS era who were good in college, but not at the next level. SC hasn't produced a great NFL running back since Marcus Allen. Reggie Bush and Lendale White were complete NFL busts; White was a massive bust. For all hype of Pete's recruiting during their run, there is a lot of show and not a lot of go. Even the all-time list of Heisman tailbacks isn't so shiny when you consider NFL careers. Anthony Davis, Ricky Bell and Charles White didn't do shit in the NFL. Garrett had a respectable, but hardly noteworthy, NFL run. They really benefit from the shine of OJ, Allen and Giff.

If it's BCS-forward era, Miami should be higher on the list. I'm open to other arguments, but I'm struggling to find a school that was as productive as Miami during that defined time: Edgerinn James, Clinton Portis, Lamar Miller, Frank Gore & Willis McGahee. Duke Johnson isn't a full time guy, but gets carries and passes thrown his way.

If it's all-time, that changes things a bit. Florida gets into the conversation with guys like Emitt Smith, John L Williams, Neal Anderson, Fred Taylor and Eric Rhett, all of whom were pro bowl level players in the NFL.

Lendale White wasn’t a massive bust. Maybe a slight disappointment, but RB’s have short careers. Leading the NFL in TD’s and also having a 1,000+ yard season for a 2nd round pick isn’t being a massive disappointment.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,961

What's the criteria? First it's BCS era, then the retard trying to suck off USC and Georgia brings in "all time" guys. Herschel Walker and OJ Simpson are well pre-BCS.

Normally, _______________ U discussions center around who was good in college AND the NFL, with a focus on the latter.

When was the last time USC produced a great, or even productive, NFL back? They've had a few in the BCS era who were good in college, but not at the next level. SC hasn't produced a great NFL running back since Marcus Allen. Reggie Bush and Lendale White were complete NFL busts; White was a massive bust. For all hype of Pete's recruiting during their run, there is a lot of show and not a lot of go. Even the all-time list of Heisman tailbacks isn't so shiny when you consider NFL careers. Anthony Davis, Ricky Bell and Charles White didn't do shit in the NFL. Garrett had a respectable, but hardly noteworthy, NFL run. They really benefit from the shine of OJ, Allen and Giff.

If it's BCS-forward era, Miami should be higher on the list. I'm open to other arguments, but I'm struggling to find a school that was as productive as Miami during that defined time: Edgerinn James, Clinton Portis, Lamar Miller, Frank Gore & Willis McGahee. Duke Johnson isn't a full time guy, but gets carries and passes thrown his way.

If it's all-time, that changes things a bit. Florida gets into the conversation with guys like Emitt Smith, John L Williams, Neal Anderson, Fred Taylor and Eric Rhett, all of whom were pro bowl level players in the NFL.

Lendale White wasn’t a massive bust. Maybe a slight disappointment, but RB’s have short careers. Leading the NFL in TD’s and also having a 1,000+ yard season for a 2nd round pick isn’t being a massive disappointment.
    I'll split the difference with you. 45th pick in the draft is not a flyer pick. That's someone you expect to have a career. His best season, by far, he cracks 1,000 yards on over 303 carries. Each of the other seasons he was a non-factor. So, I'll back off "massive" bust, and you do better than "slight disappointment". Axe the people in Tennessee if they were slightly disappointed.

2009 Tennessee Titans 13 64 4.9 222 3.5 17.1 2 11 11 17.2 0 0 1
    2008 Tennessee Titans 16 200 12.5 773 3.9 48.3 15 80T 43 21.5 4 2 0
    2007 Tennessee Titans 16 303 18.9 1,110 3.7 69.4 7 28 57 18.8 4 0 5
    2006 Tennessee Titans 13 61 4.7 244 4.0 18.8 0 26 13 21.3 1 0 0
    TOTAL 58 628 10.8 2,349 3.7 40.5 24 80 124 19.7 9 2 6
  • IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183
    edited April 2020

haie said:

UW has dillon, polk, Sankey, mmfg.

Oregon has

If they're going off of NFL production, Dillon alone puts UW over most of the teams on that list. He was the best RB in the league for a number of years in the late 90's/early 2000's
    Well, Dillon would be alone because polk and sankey did nothing. Gaskin hasn't had a chance yet, so jury is out. If you count him, I guess you have to count Freeman for Oregon, since he gets carries in Denver.
    Dillon alone wouldn't because he didn't play in the BCS era.

The comprehensive list of running backs who've been worth their salt in the NFL from the Pac-10/12 in that time frame are:

Steven Jackson
    Marshawn
    Maurice Jones-Drew
    Reggie Bush
    Lendale White
    Stewart
    Blount
    Reuben Droughns
    McCaffrey
    Lindsay

Tell me more about how this conference is screwed?
    TTJ said:

Who are UW’s top 3 QBs and RBs during the BCS/CFP era (‘99-present)?

I’ve got Tuiasosopo-Pickett-Price, Gaskin-Polk-Sankey.

Bring on the fuck off votes, but Browning won a lot more and had better stats than both Picket and especially Price.

I'll split the difference with you. 45th pick in the draft is not a flyer pick. That's someone you expect to have a career. His best season, by far, he cracks 1,000 yards on over 303 carries. Each of the other seasons he was a non-factor. So, I'll back off "massive" bust, and you do better than "slight disappointment". Axe the people in Tennessee if they were slightly disappointed.

2009 Tennessee Titans 13 64 4.9 222 3.5 17.1 2 11 11 17.2 0 0 1
    2008 Tennessee Titans 16 200 12.5 773 3.9 48.3 15 80T 43 21.5 4 2 0
    2007 Tennessee Titans 16 303 18.9 1,110 3.7 69.4 7 28 57 18.8 4 0 5
    2006 Tennessee Titans 13 61 4.7 244 4.0 18.8 0 26 13 21.3 1 0 0
    TOTAL 58 628 10.8 2,349 3.7 40.5 24 80 124 19.7 9 2 6
    He also had to share time with Chris Johnson who was once probably the best RB in the entire league. White was lazy and too fat to sustain a career. I think it was more of a case where he was too big and just fast enough in college, but too big and slow for the NFL.
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,545 Founders Club

haie said:

Oregon has

If they're going off of NFL production, Dillon alone puts UW over most of the teams on that list. He was the best RB in the league for a number of years in the late 90's/early 2000's
    Well, Dillon would be alone because polk and sankey did nothing. Gaskin hasn't had a chance yet, so jury is out. If you count him, I guess you have to count Freeman for Oregon, since he gets carries in Denver.

The comprehensive list of running backs who've been worth their salt in the NFL from the Pac-10/12 in that time frame are:

Steven Jackson
    Marshawn
    Maurice Jones-Drew
    Reggie Bush
    Lendale White
    Stewart
    Blount
    Reuben Droughns
    McCaffrey
    Lindsay

Forsett had a long good career as a backup and even popped off for 1200 as a Starter late in his career for Bmore.

Cal players that make it tend to do shockingly well in the NFL. Legit superstars in Marshawn, Rodgers, and Desean Jackson.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,961

TTJ said:

Bring on the fuck off votes, but Browning won a lot more and had better stats than both Picket and especially Price.
    Pickett was a better QB. Way better passing skills
    Doogles said:

haie said:

Oregon has

Steven Jackson
    Marshawn
    Maurice Jones-Drew
    Reggie Bush
    Lendale White
    Stewart
    Blount
    Reuben Droughns
    McCaffrey
    Lindsay

Forsett had a long good career as a backup and even popped off for 1200 as a Starter late in his career for Bmore.

Cal players that make it tend to do shockingly well in the NFL. Legit superstars in Marshawn, Rodgers, and Desean Jackson.
    True. Tony Gonzalez, Aaron Rodgers, etc.
  • rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,162

haie said:

Oregon has

Stewart, Blount, & James
    didnt blount miss all (most?) of his senior year cause he sucker punched that bjc player?

is this espn taek going off of nfl production?

TTJ said:

Pickett was a better QB. Way better passing skills
    Doogles said:

haie said:

Oregon has

Steven Jackson
    Marshawn
    Maurice Jones-Drew
    Reggie Bush
    Lendale White
    Stewart
    Blount
    Reuben Droughns
    McCaffrey
    Lindsay

True. Tony Gonzalez, Aaron Rodgers, etc.
    They have some really good pros. I just looked it up. Keenan Allen, Cam Jordan, Mitchel Schwartz. Pro Bowlers. Goff is another. I didn’t realize how the quality of their players in the league. It’s gotta be the best in the PAC 12.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/schools/california/drafted.htm
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member Posts: 8,664 Standard Supporter

haie said:

Oregon has

Stewart, Blount, & James
    didnt blount miss all (most?) of his senior year cause he sucker punched that bjc player?

is this espn taek going off of nfl production?
    ESPN puts out lists that have to include the schools that have fans that make the most comments on their website articles. Also, they include people who actually commented and liked ESPN "The Magazine"

• SECDAWGSECDAWG Member Posts: 5,004
    If this is “all time” to leave out GA is FS.

Shit list, shit writer.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,524 Swaye's Wigwam
    SECDAWG said:

Shit list, shit writer.

I would mention reading comprehension, but seems like that goes without saying...

• SECDAWGSECDAWG Member Posts: 5,004
    edited April 2020

SECDAWG said:

Shit list, shit writer.

I would mention reading comprehension, but seems like that goes without saying...

Ok. I’ll make it easier. To write or mention any list top 10 without Georgia RB’s wise in there past or present is brainless.

• dtddtd Member Posts: 4,502 Standard Supporter
    Fucking doogs, jesus christ.
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    UW RBs haven’t done shit in the NFL outside of Dillon. Which is weird since we’ve pretty much always had a good RB, even during the shit years.