Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Charity at spring scrimmage.

So with Nebraska bringing a young cancer patient on the field to run in a TD during their spring game, do you think Sark puts Cooper in the game to run for a TD? Or will his knees just fall apart?

Comments

• RaccoonHarryRaccoonHarry Member Posts: 2,160
    I vote for Kim and his giant football...
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,208 Founders Club
    Regarding Nebraska: I fully understand trying to do something uplifting for a boy struggling with cancer. But if something isn't earned, what is it really worth? I have mixed feelings about that whole thing. I love the idea of a cancer-stricken kid getting a chance to play catch with the QB and stuff like that, but I just don't like the symbolism of fake achievements.
  • section8section8 Member Posts: 1,581
    ^^Why do you hate the NW championship?
  • HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    section8 said:

NW championship >>>> Sark's trophy case

'Nuff said

• MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    edited April 2013
    I like the Lucky Dawg thing they do at UW. Letting a kid in a wheelchair score a touchdown,posting all over the inertnet, the celebrating the "accomplishment" while the adults that put it together pat themselves on the back is nauseating.

On a related note, if you are going to "pay it forward" at Starbucks or help someone out if they are short in the checkout line at the store, don't go on Facebook and tell even one how awesome you are. You immediately go from doing something nice to being a self serving prick/cunt. And if you buy a random unseen blond a banana and a coffee, STFU and DIAFF. #HIKIM
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

section8 said:

NW championship >>>> Sark's trophy case

'Nuff said

But Sark won the 2012 Gameday Championship over the Rose Bowl winners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • volcanodawgvolcanodawg Member Posts: 282
    Sark has an entire URL devoted to championships. what don't you get?
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,309 Swaye's Wigwam
    I think beating cancer is quite the achievement....kid deserves to have some fun.

Regarding Nebraska: I fully understand trying to do something uplifting for a boy struggling with cancer. But if something isn't earned, what is it really worth? I have mixed feelings about that whole thing. I love the idea of a cancer-stricken kid getting a chance to play catch with the QB and stuff like that, but I just don't like the symbolism of fake achievements.

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,208 Founders Club
    edited April 2013
    HuskyJW said:

I think beating cancer is quite the achievement....kid deserves to have some fun.

That act actually damaged the kid. It reinforced the idea for him that he is "special" and deserving of things he hasn't earned. It sent the entirely wrong message. If I was his parent I would not have allowed that to happen. I would want him to return to a normal childhood as soon as possible.

It's the same thing with a little girl that survived being shot by a stray bullet a couple years ago in Seattle. She was celebrated in the news and the mother started a Facebook page documenting her every move even after as she returned to normal life. The mother was getting a high from her daughter being a "celebrity". I sent the mother an email trying to tell them that they're damaging her, let her return to a normal childhood and don't live through her vicariously like that. She didn't like that so que sera sera.

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    You guys are fucking ridiculous. It was a nice gesture and a special moment for the kid and the people involved. The kid will still have to earn things in his life, like most people do. Derek, If you were his parent and watched him battle cancer and go through chemo, you wouldn't let him run for a TD for his (and your) favorite team? It's a memory the kid, his family, and some of the people associated with the Nebraska moment will have forever. It is absurd to try and analyze it as more than that.
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,309 Swaye's Wigwam
    He's 7.....the only damage done is that he'll be a Nebraska fan his entire life.

The kid is special....you beat cancer you deserve special recognition.

HuskyJW said:

He's 7.....the only damage done is that he'll be a Nebraska fan his entire life.

Why?

I get doing nice things to brighten the day of a sick kid, buy why does he or anyone who beat cancer deserve special recognition from the public?

It seems these days many people who do something nice for someone, do it in such a way that they end up getting pats on the back an accolades to the point where it becomes about them, the giver, not the recipient.

Once someone stats boasting about the great and kind deed they did, they need to DIAFF.

It also reminds me of people who just had a kid, they many act like they are the only ones in history who figured out how to do this. I understand their excitement, but when the excuses start popping up on why they are late, or how tired they are, or why they missed a deadline, don't expect me to give a fuck.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    HuskyJW said:

But he didn't earn it. Battling cancer and having two surgeries and 60 weeks of chemo is not enough. If he wants to run for a TD at a Spring Game, he should hit the weights and work on his speed every day. Then, maybe, just maybe, he will become good enough to one day play for Nebraska and earn his TD run.

In all seriousness, the he didn't earn it and it will make him entitled is some of the dumbest shit I have read in awhile (since I left Dawgman.)

HuskyJW said:

But he didn't earn it. Battling cancer and having two surgeries and 60 weeks of chemo is not enough. If he wants to run for a TD at a Spring Game, he should hit the weights and work on his speed every day. Then, maybe, just maybe, he will become good enough to one day play for Nebraska and earn his TD run.

In all seriousness, the he didn't earn it and it will make him entitled is some of the dumbest shit I have read in awhile (since I left Dawgman.)
    I like it when athletes give attention to sick children. Having them out for the coin toss, maybe play catch with with a QB, hang out at practice, that's all good. Setting up a fake thing in a game where a ball is placed in their lap and they drive their electric wheelchair into the end zone while everyone cheers is bizarre to me. It's also getting over played in the media and seems to be becoming almost cliche.

And yes, it would be very inspiring if the kid did go on to workout and become good at a sport or excel at anything. There are many example of sports figures getting cancer, going through the rigors of treatment and then coming back to perform at an elite level. (Mario Lemieux comes to mind) That is something that we should celebrate.
  • HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    I don't have a big problem with it like some here, but I will admit it is kind of weird to me. Why this kid as opposed to the hundreds/thousands of others in similarly awful situations?

I don't think it's going to damage the kid in any real way. He's 7 years old, he's got a cool memory. If he thinks everything in life is going to be handed to him because of this he wasn't going to amount to much anyway.

That said, I agree with Damone. It's hard not to see something like this and wonder if it's more about getting recognition for the one doing the act than the one receiving it. I don't want to be a cynical bastard and assume that's what Pellini was up to, but it's certainly questionable.
  • ACSlaterDawgACSlaterDawg Member Posts: 200
    It depends on the parents. Sounds like the parents that Derek mentioned went way overboard. That was not giving a kid a reward. It was about milking the whole thing.

But for a kid going through cancer treatments, it seems like a well deserved reward.
    edited April 2013
    This gohuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/080812aab.html is >>> then letting a kid run down a field in a public display of "look what we're doing for the kid". Quietly establishing an actual relationship with someone and caring about them. That said, I wonder if he bought her a beer?
    Too soon?
  • TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813

I like the Lucky Dawg thing they do at UW. Letting a kid in a wheelchair score a touchdown,posting all over the inertnet, the celebrating the "accomplishment" while the adults that put it together pat themselves on the back is nauseating.

On a related note, if you are going to "pay it forward" at Starbucks or help someone out if they are short in the checkout line at the store, don't go on Facebook and tell even one how awesome you are. You immediately go from doing something nice to being a self serving prick/cunt. And if you buy a random unseen blond a banana and a coffee, STFU and DIAFF. #HIKIM

Fuuuucccckkkk.....reminds me of that classic PSU game this past year that I took the kids to since they had never been to Qwest/CenturyLink (we be broke country folk). My 9 year old son turns to me and asked why that other kid can be on the field and he can't? Ie explain that he is very sick with terminal cancer and they try and make his last days the best they can. He looks me straight in the eye and says "Guess he really isn't a Lucky Dawg, is he"?

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,319 Founders Club
    "Guess he really isn't a Lucky Dawg, is he"?

Deep
  • CheersWestDawgCheersWestDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,477 Swaye's Wigwam
    TommySQC said:

He looks me straight in the eye and says "Guess he really isn't a Lucky Dawg, is he"?

That's awesome. Fucking kids are smarter than we give them credit for sometimes.