Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Netflix CEO in 2013: “The goal is to become HBO faster than HBO can become us.”

Comments

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,922
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Prime is going to beat them both.

• Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,882
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Netflix puts out some awful garbage which drags it down.
  • Options

Prime is going to beat them both.

That have some big money projects in the works. If they hit on their LotR or WoT series they could go big time. They already have a handful of top tier shows.

If they would fix the fucking UI though, that would be great...
    I switched to a fire stick and it’s better. Or I just tell alexa to find shit.

Prime is my go to documentary source. Way better than Netflix.
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,554
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    screw HBO and Netflix
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,190
    Founders Club

LebamDawg said:

screw HBO and Netflix

Why? There are some good shows and movies to watch on both of them. Are you a network tv guy?
    I have both and am glad that I do
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

When I read that HBO's new masters wanted to turn them into another Netflix, I almost committed seppuku. I don't care that the scope is narrow, I care that they're the only network out there anymore treating television as an art medium instead of a digital Wal Mart. They pump huge dollars into big visions like nobody else, so the quality is incredibly high across the board. If HBO was the only channel going, there wouldn't be much to watch, and that would suck. Since there are millions of hours of other content available, I want HBO doing exactly what they're doing: ponying up to make the best content available. Broadening their scope will only turn their premium content shittier, which would be awful.

Fucking A right.

HBO is still the dominant player in original content. They produce masterpiece after masterpiece, and just the virtue of being an HBO show is a seal of approval for any series. I really hope their AT&T overlords don't dilute their brand by trying to keep up with Netflix and Prime.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,607
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Watching the Atlanta Children on HBO

Its good but part 2 had a glaring obvious error

They showed a reporter asking Reagan if he would get involved. He said it had to cross state lines to get the FBI involved.

Then they show Mayor Jackson in the Oval office talking to Reagan and say that he laid down the law and talked about the Lindbergh baby and got Reagan to agree

Then on their timeline they said the FBI got involved in November of 1980.

I rewound it just to make sure. Reagan took office January 1981

It still bothers me. Its sloppy and casts doubt on the film makers

But I digress. HBO puts out good product
  • Options

Watching the Atlanta Children on HBO

Its good but part 2 had a glaring obvious error

They showed a reporter asking Reagan if he would get involved. He said it had to cross state lines to get the FBI involved.

Then they show Mayor Jackson in the Oval office talking to Reagan and say that he laid down the law and talked about the Lindbergh baby and got Reagan to agree

Then on their timeline they said the FBI got involved in November of 1980.

I rewound it just to make sure. Reagan took office January 1981

It still bothers me. Its sloppy and casts doubt on the film makers

But I digress. HBO puts out good product

Mindhunter on Netflix covered the Atlanta murders pretty well in this season's storyline.

• Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

When I read that HBO's new masters wanted to turn them into another Netflix, I almost committed seppuku. I don't care that the scope is narrow, I care that they're the only network out there anymore treating television as an art medium instead of a digital Wal Mart. They pump huge dollars into big visions like nobody else, so the quality is incredibly high across the board. If HBO was the only channel going, there wouldn't be much to watch, and that would suck. Since there are millions of hours of other content available, I want HBO doing exactly what they're doing: ponying up to make the best content available. Broadening their scope will only turn their premium content shittier, which would be awful.

Fucking A right.

HBO is still the dominant player in original content. They produce masterpiece after masterpiece, and just the virtue of being an HBO show is a seal of approval for any series. I really hope their AT&T overlords don't dilute their brand by trying to keep up with Netflix and Prime.
    I love HBO, but Game of Thrones, Westworld, arguably 2 of their biggest shows are not original content.

Neither was True Blood, Watchmen, or His Dark Materials.

HBO is still the best, but their best is no longer as vastly different than the best from Netflix, Amazon, etc as it used to be.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Fucking A right.

I love HBO, but Game of Thrones, Westworld, arguably 2 of their biggest shows are not original content.

HBO is still the best, but their best is no longer as vastly different than the best from Netflix, Amazon, etc as it used to be.
    Fair, but I'm going old school with classics like The Wire and The Sopranos. To me that's when HBO became HBO.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter

Fucking A right.

I'm not the streaming superiority guy like some of yous, but I think Amazon Original >> Netflix Original lately. Patriot teh absolute tits.
  • Options

Fucking A right.

Succession is quality HBO. Not as good as Billions on Showtime but solid.

Showtime is pretty well kicking HBO's ass right this second - Ray Donovan, Homeland (though not as good as early seasons), Billions are all must see TV.

AppleTV is catching up fast. For All Mankind is pretty entertaining. The Morning Show kicked ass but could have used much more nudity, imho.

• Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,717
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Fucking A right.

Fair, but I'm going old school with classics like The Wire and The Sopranos. To me that's when HBO became HBO.
    The Sopranos and The Wire ushered in the Second Golden Age of Television (https://www.amazon.com/Difficult-Men-Creative-Revolution-Sopranos-ebook/dp/B00AEDDPFA) but it’s been 15 years since HBO was the epicenter. FX and AMC has better original content for most of that time as did Netflix (even though they suck.)
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325

Fucking A right.

I'm not the streaming superiority guy like some of yous, but I think Amazon Original >> Netflix Original lately. Patriot teh absolute tits.
    Amazon is creeping up on Netflix. But they have plenty of duds too. Netflix still has them beat in overall catalogue and UX IMHO.

Disney+ has a lot of potential, but they need to work on the underlying features that are taken for granted on Netflix (saving your spot mid movie/episode). Restarting a movie and then having to scrub around trying to find where you left off sucks.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,607
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Those little details mean a lot
  • Options
    I tell you again, London Irish on Prime is laugh out loud funny shit.