Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Infrastructure

WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 15,019 Standard Supporter

My problem with a huge infrastructure stimulus bill is there are few shovel ready jobs. What we do have is a pile of corrupt politicians and crony capitalist that view this as an opportunity to loot the treasury. Key areas that both the dems and republicans would love to feed is the renewable industry (solar and wind) and mass transit (trains to nowhere). These are expensive things we don’t need. If we did, we wouldn’t need the massive government subsidies. What we do need in the Portland area is a southern bypass from I-5 around Wilsonville to US 26, the Sunset Highway, around just west of Hillsboro. We also need a new I-5 bridge. Next I-5 is a two lane supposed interstate freeway through Portland. Just a huge choke point. They have been talking about this for decades.

Portland hasn’t built a new highway since I-205 in the early 1980s. They haven’t built a new bridge over the Willamette since 1973 and over the Columbia since 1982. They have spent a couple of hundred million in “studying” a new I-5 bridge without a clue about how to get it done. There isn’t any dem leadership in Oregon that would support spending money on any of the real transportation needs. They just want people crammed into crime infested public transport that can easily spread the next pandemic.

The dems are also frantic to use federal dollars to save blue state pension and cities bankrupt pension plans. That will be called shovel ready infrastructure just like barry did and use the money to pay-off state and local government employees.

During the Great Depression we built Grand Coulee Dam, Bonneville Dam, Hoover Dam, the Golden Gate Bridge. If we decided to build a new I-5 bridge we would be lucky to get construction started by 2026. It does need to get built, but pretending that we need to be in a hurry to pass something so we can all feel good and can pretend that is going to put laid off people back to work right now is a fantasy. The dems want us to borrow money to be paid off by our grandkids so we can build things we don’t need. Count me out.

Comments

• UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,397 Swaye's Wigwam
    Good thing we have a President that will likely prioritize further tax cuts as stimulus. I've heard a 15% rate for middle class which would be amazing.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,493 Founders Club
    The difference with this recession is that the work is there already. We just aren't doing it. We can still save a good year if we are allowed to. We have projects stacked up like cord wood. We were in a boom. We don't need to spend money on make work we need to do the work we have

Infrastructure is a giant boondoggle sadly. We need a lot of it but we need someone smart like Yang to run the numbers on the best way to pay for it

The payroll tax holiday is a great idea when people do get back to work. As is a lower rate.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter

The difference with this recession is that the work is there already. We just aren't doing it. We can still save a good year if we are allowed to. We have projects stacked up like cord wood. We were in a boom. We don't need to spend money on make work we need to do the work we have

Infrastructure is a giant boondoggle sadly. We need a lot of it but we need someone smart like Yang to run the numbers on the best way to pay for it

The payroll tax holiday is a great idea when people do get back to work. As is a lower rate.

I'm taking long positions in crematoria.
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    What better time to fix all the bridges and shit than when everyone is stuck at home?
    Infrastructure was the one thing I thought Trump would accomplish that we could all applaud. Fingers are still crossed.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    Portland doesn’t want anything built that cars will travel on.

HTH

Infrastructure was the one thing I thought Trump would accomplish that we could all applaud. Fingers are still crossed.

He’s tried to kick it off several times. It’s as is certain people don’t want him to do it because it’s likely a winner with the people. Russia, Ukraine, Iran, the Kurds, WWIII, making friends with dictators. It always seems to be something.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,397 Swaye's Wigwam

What better time to fix all the bridges and shit than when everyone is stuck at home?

Too bad government is incapable of responding to market forces. Over here in the free market we are scrambling projects that will be up and running in a matter of weeks and fully complete by July 1st for your infrastructure needs. YWFMS.
    Mayor Garcetti won't allow infrastructure work. Not 6 feet apart and probably sharing tools.

He’s tried to kick it off several times. It’s as is certain people don’t want him to do it because it’s likely a winner with the people. Russia, Ukraine, Iran, the Kurds, WWIII, making friends with dictators. It always seems to be something.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

• GDSGDS Member Posts: 1,470

another infrastructure week?!?
    GDS said:

Ask Pelosi. She's got the checkbook

GDS said:

Ask Pelosi. She's got the checkbook
    They prefer a dictator
  • huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,328 Swaye's Wigwam
    It's amazed me how our modern projects, with modern technology, specifically in the US, take longer to complete than larger projects that took place a century ago.
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 33,118 Standard Supporter

Takes years to touch a bridge anymore. They built the Hoover dam in 3 years but the 105 freeway in L.A. took 30 years
    edited April 2020

It's amazed me how our modern projects, with modern technology, specifically in the US, take longer to complete than larger projects that took place a century ago.

Longer and multiple times more expensive. While the private sector gets faster and cheaper, the government gets slower and more expensive.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member Posts: 8,664 Standard Supporter
    They will pass the infrastructure bill and the lead contractor will be the construction company that has been working I-5 in Tacoma for the last 21 years.

I am sure there is no pay outs going to any officials with that project.